What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plano Tx information

togaflyer

Well Known Member
My son is being transferred to Plano in January. So if you were early 30’s, single, making good money, have the flying bug (halfway through Private pilot training) and would like to buy a place, what would your recommendations be. Looking for areas to live, best airports, flying clubs, CFI to finish up, residential airport communities (he is open to this) etc….

Also, feel free to PM me with your e mail or phone and I will respond.

Oh, and Im going from from 12 hour flight trip to SoCal, to a 4.3 hour flight to the Plano area so it’s a win for me!

So depending on where he lives:

West Plano, closest airports are KADS and F69. KADS wants to be mainly corporate but tolerates flight schools and GA. Club there is RFC Dallas rfcdallas.com. F69 is very small and not maintained all that well. It does have homes on the airport as it was envisioned as an airport community but did not work out all that well. Not sure what might be available.

East Plano, closest airports are KTKI and T31. T31 has a 3000 ft asphalt plus 1600 grass runway. KTKI has a club Texins Flying club. texinsflyingclub.com

Central Plano, all of the above are about equidistant. I lived in central Plano and it was 20-25 minutes to both KTKI and KADS.

Housing is all over the place in Plano from rundown bungalows to mansions and everything in between. Same for apartments.

There is a residential flying community north of Lewisville along I35, 5TX0 Hidden Valley Airpark. There are some nice homes there with a 2600 ft. asphalt strip. hiddenvalleyairpark.org There are others south of Dallas and Ft. Worth but they are a long drive from Plano.

Good luck!

If I was being transferred to Plano I'd dust off my resume and find something else.

KADS is a horrid airport. Far too busy, so plan on wasting a lot of 100LL if you base/train there.

KTKI (McKinney) is a much better place to operate from. +1 on Texins https://www.texinsflyingclub.org/html/instructors.php

If Dick Stephens is still teaching there you'll be quite happy.

His employer’s corporate office is located in Plano so Plano it is. Great info on the flying clubs, I sent him info on both clubs. I looked at KTKI and it seemed to be the best one for me to fly into when visiting. We have been doing a Zillow search and yes it seems like properties are all over the place. I think the area for him would fall under “young professionals” if there is such an area there that falls under that description.

Last edited:
Back