What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing old sticky material from turtledeck

Tom Navar

Well Known Member
As I slowly build my RV-8 QB, I'm also refurbishing a Pitts S2A. I've removed some old EAA stickers from the fiberglass turtledeck, which has left some unsightly sticky residue on the painted surface. I hesitate to use any kind of solvent for fear that it will eat right into the paint. Can someone recommend a method or substance to take off this material? Thank you in advance.
Tom Navar

Hi Tom - hope you had a good trip home!

The best "sticky remover" I have found is "Goo Gone".....but make sure you do a small area test first. Amazingly, it takes off sticky without (generally) touching the surface underneath.

Paul

Goo Gone

Paul: Thanks for the tip. I had a great time at the Big Bend; thank you for organizing it. The trip back was great, with the exception of headwinds at 12,500 that nailed me down to a sizzling 89 Kts!! Things got a lot better down at 10,500, with a (nothing spectacular for RV'rs) 120 Kt. groundspeed. The sunset was beyond beautiful, and I touched down at home with the last rays of sunlight.
I keep thinking that maybe I'm kidding myself that there are such a great deal of really neat folks around this RV mystique. Everyone I met this past weekend proves me wrong. I'm headed out to the barn right now to hang the right aileron. Again...... Gracias, amigo.
TN

3M makes an adhesive remover just for that. Won't hurt the paint. You can get it at any automotive paint supply house. Great stuff to have around the shop for different clean ups too.

I'm sitting here with residue from expensive leading edge tape and thinking--- mineral spirits,acetone, lacquer thinner, rubbing compound wd, or make trip to auto store for "goo gone"

3m hum.

Coleman fuel (Naphtha) also works well for removing tape residue. Plus it won't harm plexiglass which is where I had a bunch of masking tape residue (tip -- don't ever leave regular masking tape on for any extended periods of time or you 'll need to learn how well Coleman fuel works :rolleyes:)

+1 Coleman fuel (Naphtha) or lighter fluid if you don't want to buy quantity. FWIW, I refill all my lighter fluid containers with Coleman fuel anyway. Keep them all over for easy access.

Thanks for help. Tried what I had except acetone, it all worked, mineral spirits seemed to work like I wanted.

Back