What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Finishing Kit Delete List

Good day all. I have done a search for what folks have deleted from their RV-10 finishing kit and didn't come up with a list. I was rushed to order the finishing kit before the price went up and am now looking to see what I can have Van's remove. All I really know at this point is I want to go with Beringer wheels and brakes along with CeeBailey's windows. I also want to go with the better door latch but I did read one posting that said Van's won't let them remove it. I do want A/C on the plane too so don't know if that requires a different cowl. Any advice and to why and what replaced would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Good day all. I have done a search for what folks have deleted from their RV-10 finishing kit and didn't come up with a list. I was rushed to order the finishing kit before the price went up and am now looking to see what I can have Van's remove. All I really know at this point is I want to go with Beringer wheels and brakes along with CeeBailey's windows. I also want to go with the better door latch but I did read one posting that said Van's won't let them remove it. I do want A/C on the plane too so don't know if that requires a different cowl. Any advice and to why and what replaced would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I believe from what I have read the stock Van's cowling is good for the AC installations. It is the after market cowlings that are more work / challenge for the AC installation. (I have only read this, I have no first hand knowledge)

Just completed the installation of the Showplanes cowl, with Airflow Systems a/c. Also have a custom Hartzell “I” hub three bladed wide chord composite prop (now available for purchase through Van’s). No bump out required for the a/c compressor, but the left side snorkel was a bit of a challenge to get fitted.

A recent RV-10 completion at Synergy Air South with the stock Vans cowl did require a bump out for the a/c compressor.

Custom Aircraft exhaust system and Barrett cold air sump. Airflow Systems 2008X oil cooler on a custom firewall mount and an absolutely amazing 3D printed 5” butterfly valve, duct and plenum for the oil cooler - also from Airflow Systems.

If I were doing this again, I would strongly consider a James cowl. Don’t know if it accommodates the compressor as well as the Showplanes, nor if it is long enough to deal with the “I” hub prop, but the single combustion air inlet would have been so much simpler. If the new owners of James Aircraft have solved the anecdotally reported cooling issues for this cowl on the 10, the James cowl would have been my choice. Better looking and the inlet rings polish up beautifully.

Last edited:
Back