What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430w with Dynon EFIS, AP CID OBS questions

Jonathan Alvord

Well Known Member
I am flying an RV with Garmin 430W, Dynon EFIS, and TruTrack AP. It appears the 430w can drive the AP, but we are wondering how to drive the AP with the separate OBS on the Dynon Panel? any quick cheats would be good to know.

Best,

Jon
working on IFR Cert

I am flying an RV with Garmin 430W, Dynon EFIS, and TruTrack AP. It appears the 430w can drive the AP, but we are wondering how to drive the AP with the separate OBS on the Dynon Panel? any quick cheats would be good to know.

Best,

Jon
working on IFR Cert

This depends on the EFIS. Some older and/or "mini" EFIS units won't drive the autopilot at all, or just in some modes. But if your EFIS will, the first step is to run the ARINC lines out of the 430W, and the ARINC lines out of the EFIS, to a DPDT switch. In one position, the ARINC pair from the GPS will go directly to the TruTrak. In the other switch position, the ARINC lines from the EFIS will be directed to the autopilot. You'll need to reference the EFIS manual for details.

Sounds like a good question for the dynon support forum.

But for our pondering, which Dynon EFIS do you have?

The work I have done to figure this out points to no, the EFIS can not drive the AP. This is assuming the Dynon is the older classes D series, which will only receive data and not send it. Also my understanding is the TT AP will only take GPS commands in, not NAV radio signals.

This is my interpretation, YMMV

If we're talking D-land...

The HS34 module does send the course selection back to the 430W which could in turn command his autopilot.

Many assumptions there.

If we're talking D-land...

The HS34 module does send the course selection back to the 430W which could in turn command his autopilot.

Many assumptions there.

Are you sure, I was under the impression that the TT AP only took GPS guidance from the 430 and not NAV, LOC, VOR signals.

Are you sure, I was under the impression that the TT AP only took GPS guidance from the 430 and not NAV, LOC, VOR signals.

I have an SL30 sending data to my GRT Hx. The Hx will re-format the vor or ils data to ‘look like’ a data stream from a gps, then send it to my Trio autopilot. So most (not all) TT or Trio autopilots need data that ‘looks like’ the digital data from a gps. But with some intermediate conversion, they can track vor, ils signals.

Back