What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Flying Dynon AP 74 HS 34

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
I'd like to do some "fam" work with my first generation D180 EFIS and the AP 74 and HS 34 control heads. However when I engage the autopilot in the hangar and operate the system, I can hear the servos moving around (clanking) and I'm wondering if this is not damaging to the system (servos)..Anyone know whether or not this is hard on the system?

I posted this on the Dynon forum a few days ago, but have not received a response..Thanks

There should be no “clanking” from the servos at all. The servo calibration and configuration should be performed on the ground as described on page 8-14 of the Dynon FlightDEK 180 installation manual. There is a minimum airspeed for autopilot engagement, 1.3Vs unless it’s been changed, so there’s no likely way to “hangar fly” the autopilot on the ground. Appendix C covers the installation and configuration of the HS34. If your DSAB bus is configured, the system will recognize all devices on the bus. If you’re not happy with the sensitivity of the AP, follow the calibration procedures to change the values.

If you’re not familiar with the system make sure to review chapter 7 of the pilot user guide.

That's really interesting..I watched a You Tube demo video produced by David Hooper Dynon 1st Generation Autopilot where they were putting it through it's paces in the hangar and I could hear the "clumking" noises as she changed headings etc. through the sound track of the video...started me wondering and lead to my post..Thanks for your response..

Well apparently you can do it.

Step 4C says "The AP cannot be engaged at airspeeds below Airspeed Minimum, with the exception of 0 knots, allowing for ground testing."

Who knew? ;)

There still, should be no "clanking" with the servos. You will hear them operating as you change the settings or calibrate. If you're hearing "clanking", maybe the servos are hitting their limit stops and you likely need to back off some of the limit settings.

"clanking" may have been a poor choice of words..I can hear "movement" (but what does "movement" sound like)? :) Just a little bumping and whirring..How's that for a description?...LOL

Seriously, thanks for your research in the AP 74 manual. I appreciate the help

Bumping and whirring sounds a lot better.
It's a servo electric motor, so those are normal sounds. You can even feel the "buzzing" on the stick as the servos operate.

No research involved. I've got the FlightDEK180 and HS34 in mine, so glad I could provide some insight. Shoot, I learned something new today too, you can operate the AP on the ground. Pretty sure I did that back when it was installed but honestly can't remember. :D

your 4c source from which install manual? Thanks again Karl for your input..TC

Last edited:

Attachments

• 9DCE6650-028D-4766-B623-1A158ADDE42B.jpeg
    9DCE6650-028D-4766-B623-1A158ADDE42B.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 48
I have D100 with AP74 and HS34. Navs are 430W and SL30 Happy to assist with operational questions. I didn't do the install, or build the plane, though.

Another interesting thing is to find the AP Test mode in the menus. It will move the stick, you confirm the position, it moves again, confirm again, check the CWS, and then done.

I do it before trips I'm planning to use AP extensively, but not when I'm planning to hand fly a bunch of approaches.

Last edited:
Back