What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Oil Filter Mount?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
In conversation today with Aerosport Power today about ordering an IO-375 from them. Can anyone help me with pro's and con's about mounting the oil filter?
1. The standard mount is straight out the back of the engine?
2. A 90 degree mount apparently turns the filter completely upside down?
3. Remote mounting on the firewall?

It's a little hard to imagine the 3 dimensionality of the engine space so far in advance. Also, hard to know how crowded the firewall will be now.

The firewall layout is controlled by you. If you follow the suggested layout in the Vans plans, you will have no problem with the stock filter arrangement.
Ask Aerosport for pictures of the rear of the engine assembly, this will give you an idea of where it might get cluttered.

Remember to 'Plan for easy of maintenance'!!
Don't mount air/oil separators, wiring harnesses, GPS pucks & such, top center of your firewall - right where you have to get access to the main maintenance item - your filter...

There are also after-market remote oil filter mounts that let you install it wherever you like. The Airwolf.com version weighs a few pounds more, I think four pounds, than the stock Lycoming mount. But it lets you install the filter in a place and orientation where it might be convenient to change.

Dave

My -8 has a 90* mount as it came from Titan. The oil filter interfered with the 8’s engine mount. I had to put an extension under it to move the filter back to clear the mount ring. I also have a B&C vaccum pad alternator and I’m not sure that would clear the stock oil filter. Clears the vertical filter ok.

Mine has an io390 with the standard straight filter adapter. Works fine with plenty of clearance. Most 8s are nose heavy, so be very wary of adding any extra weight up front.

Hi Clay, my io-360 came with the 90 degree angled adapter, which fits fine and does not get in the way of anything. It puts the filter up high and proud, so it's very easy to get to. I like it.

http://www.rv8.ch/kp-engineering-stainless-steel-cleanable-oil-filter/

However, I think it would be worth a good comparison to the "standard" way that comes right out the back of the engine, especially if you plan to use a cleanable filter as recommended by many people that are smarter than me, since this filter is very small. I'm guessing if you plan things to avoid this center part of the firewall, which is not that hard, you will save a bit of weight, some cost, and not greatly reduce the ease of a filter change. Good luck!

One other perceived advantage of the remote oil filter is that the filter can be mounted vertically so it does not drain out after each engine run. I assume oil pressure will build immediately versus the delay that occurs with a filter mounted on a 90 degree adapter or horizontally.

This is what I've done on our soon to be flying RV-10. Can anyone with a vertically mounted remote oil filter confirm that my theory is valid?

Oil filter

Mickey,

How does your K&P filter compare to the Challenger model Acft Spruce sells at almost double the price? I know a guy that has the Challenger one on his -10 and is very pleased with it. First time I’ve heard of the K&P brand for aircraft but looks pretty stout.

Last edited:
I have choosen the OP’s option 2 and i am very happy with it.
Like wilddog says, and pictures from rv8ch show, you will need a 1,75” or 2” extension to clear the engine mounts upper structure.
I highlighted the extension in one of mickeys picture.

I like about this arrangement that the filter is easy accessible and the mess during oil filter change is non existent if you put a ziplock bag around it prior loosening it.
It leaves you ample room to work on the backside of your engine and keeps the “real estate” on the firewall available for all the other features you can place there (e.g.: remote oil cooler, heat valve, inverted oil system, battery, gascolator, smokepump, ……….whatever).

Maybe option 3 let’s you run out of options sooner or later……

Attachments

• C22E3404-8963-44C4-965F-E15FE3B944D6.jpeg
    C22E3404-8963-44C4-965F-E15FE3B944D6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
One other perceived advantage of the remote oil filter is that the filter can be mounted vertically so it does not drain out after each engine run. I assume oil pressure will build immediately versus the delay that occurs with a filter mounted on a 90 degree adapter or horizontally.

This is what I've done on our soon to be flying RV-10. Can anyone with a vertically mounted remote oil filter confirm that my theory is valid?

Actually, this is why the angle adapters use a different filter that incorporates a check valve - the check valve keeps the filter filled with oil so that it is fully charged when you shut down, so that the filter doesn’t have to charge at the next start.

My -8 has been happy for over 2,000 hours with the angle adapter on a spacer (I think it is an inch and a half, but I’m not at the airplane this morning).

Paul

Plenty of room on the 8, I suggest you stick with the straight Lyc or superior adapter for a couple of reasons:

Vernatherm operation due to better alignment
Room for BU alternator.

I have the 90 degree adapter on the engine and can use either the Champion CH 48108-1 or the Tempest AA 48108-2 filter. Both these filters have an internal check valve but I have found that the Champion will drain over a couple of days or more whereas the Tempest does not as evidenced by delayed oil pressure rise with the Champion.

Fin.
9A

Mickey,

How does your K&P filter compare to the Challenger model Acft Spruce sells at almost double the price? I know a guy that has the Challenger one on his -10 and is very pleased with it. First time I’ve heard of the K&P brand for aircraft but looks pretty stout.

Hi Oly, my understanding is that the K&P has an exclusive arrangement with Challenger to sell aviation oil filters. In the end they are the same device, so if you need certification, buy the Challenger. If not, then the K&P is a good option.

There have been a few threads on this - I'm standing on the shoulders of giants. For example:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=94805
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=171973

I have not yet done an oil change/filter clean with the K&P, but I'm told it beats the heck out of cutting open the Champion filter, and then using a bread knife to cut out the filter material to inspect it. I bought two filter elements so that when the time comes to change I won't need to do the filter clean/inspection immediately. I want to take a lot of time to clean/inspect the filter before putting it back in service.

Back