What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locking gas cap

Newton fuel caps in my opinion are the best. Very easy to open, liquid tight seal and rebuildable. Keyed options are available as well.

I installed these Andiar caps 4-5 years ago. They work just fine.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rvall1.html

The retrofit caps do have a smaller hole since they are prosealed into the existing opening. It takes a little more skill to fuel, since it’s harder to see into the tank with a nozzle in place.

Newton locking caps

I have the Newton locking caps, 1,300 hrs and work like new. I can take the cap off with one hand with the key and have the fueling nozzle in the other. They also have a nice clean look.

Which caps are on your current RV-10? I believe these Newton caps get Pro-Sealed into the existing cap holes, so it doesn’t really meet your request of “non retrofit”. Also, do you have the classic older style caps? Or the newer SPRL larger style?

Newton locking caps

Mine are the older design since my plane was completed in 2006 and yes, I did have the insert the adapter/reducing rings, not that that is a difficult thing. I did visit the Newton website and they have updated their designs but that's to be expected after 16 yrs.

Another vote for Newton Caps

We had the Newton caps on our Diamond aircraft (DA20 and two DA40's) and we installed them on our slow build RV-10 tanks.

I don't think they will work on the stock flange, however. We installed the Newton flange made for the RV tank profile.

They operate so much better than the Usher caps on our RV-7.

The tanks have the Van’s fuel caps. The plane has been flying since 2018 and all painted pretty, which I do not want to mess up. I don’t see an issue with just pro sealing something in, just not riveting and replacing. Spruce is currently out of stock of Andiar . I’m not familiar with Newton but Spruce had them. Does the flange require any modification to the original Van’s tank flange.

Last edited:
The tanks have the Van’s fuel caps. The plane has been flying since 2018 and all painted pretty, which I do not want to mess up. I don’t see an issue with just pro sealing something in, just not riveting and replacing. Spruce is currently out of stock of Andiar . I’m not familiar with Newton but Spruce had them. Does the flange require any modification to the original Van’s tank flange.

No modification to the original flange is required. Just clean for a good bond. I did this on my RV-10. You may want to check directly with Andair and order from them instead of Aircraft Spruce. I ordered all my Andair stuff directly and had fast shipping.

Back