What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 360 A1B fuel injector starting issues….

Bought a RV8A a year ago from an estate. Engine overhauled with 300 hours now. Hard to start cold and impossible hot. Tried many different “techniques.” I can fly turn off the engine at 1000 rpm and ICO. Immediately turn the key for a restart and nothing.
Spent $$$ trying to get to the smoking gun that would fix the issue.
So far they have :
Conditional was done in Oct.
Mag timing is good.
Impulse coupler spring is good.
Sent fuel servo and spider were sent back to Air Performance for evaluation and they’d found they are operating to specs.
All induction gaskets were replaced, found none were deformed, just hard.
Now they are recommending a “Shower of Sparks,” to help with the start and Sure Fire for cruise and performance. Their opinion is that an electronic ignition will not help a start, it is only finding the right fuel/air mixture of 14.0 that will start the engine.
Anyone have any other ideas of something to look for?

Last edited:
Fuel quality?
Fuel pump?
Ignition switch (key)?

Just the first 3 that came to my mind after quickly reading your post...

Hot Start

Bad coil in impulse mag that is affected by heat. With engine still reasonably hot, remove all top spark plugs, have someone hold one of the wires 1/8" or so from ground. Crank engine and see if you get a spark.
Alternatively remove the impulse mag, clamp it to a bench. heat the mag up with a heat gun. Snap the impulse and see if it sparks.
Before anyone questions this it is not uncommon for a mag coil to be fine for runup and flight, but after being heat soaked will not produce enough spark to start the engine.
Alternative #3, remove the left mag and send it to a mag shop for overhaul or IRAN.

Bought a RV8A a year ago from an estate. Engine overhauled with 300 hours now. Hard to start cold and impossible hot. Tried many different “techniques.” I can fly turn off the engine at 1000 rpm and ICO. Immediately turn the key for a restart and nothing.
Spent $$$ trying to get to the smoking gun that would fix the issue.
So far they have :
Conditional was done in Oct.
Mag timing is good.
Impulse coupler spring is good.
Sent fuel servo and spider were sent back to Air Performance for evaluation and they’d found they are operating to specs.
All induction gaskets were replaced, found none were deformed, just hard.
Now they are recommending a “Shower of Sparks,” to help with the start and Sure Fire for cruise and performance. Their opinion is that an electronic ignition will not help a start, it is only finding the right fuel/air mixture of 14.0 that will start the engine.
Anyone have any other ideas of something to look for?

When was the last time the mags were actually serviced? I inspect mine at every annual and ensure the breaker points are timed correctly and that all components are within spec.

I also fly an IO-360A1B6 with stock injection and Slick mags. I have no trouble starting and the one time I did have issues was due to an induction leak from a pinched O-Ring at the plenum end of the #4 induction tube.

In my opinion, adding the shower of sparks is just putting a bandaid on for a different issue instead of fixing the actual cause of your starting difficulties.

Skylor

Last edited:
A electronic ignition will certainly help both hot and cold starts. The Surefly made a big difference on my aircraft.

Perhaps post your starting procedure for review by the group.
For my IO-360-M2S with Avstar (Bendix) injection:

Attachments

• Start Engine (cold).jpg
    Start Engine (cold).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 151
Check the basics

Jeff

Check simple things like that the left mag wire is indeed going to the left mag. There have been cases where the wires have been switched and the impulse mag is switched off during start.
Check your plugs for resistance and all leads.
If that’s all ok you might be able to borrow a mag and try to see if that makes a difference. Or send the impulse mag out for a 500 hr check.

I’ve flown twins where one engine always started fine and the other was a complete nightmare.

Regards

Peter

If the engine runs perfectly fine, shut down and unsuccessfully restarted within a few seconds, it seems quite unlikely to be an ignition issue, especially if you eventually get it started again.

Sounds like a technique issue. If you go to ICO for shut down, re-starting is not as simple as just pushing the red knob in again and hitting the starter. These FI engines require a proper start technique, both hot and cold. Suggest finding someone more experienced to show you the proper method. Searching here will result in a lot of insight as well.

Larry

Sure Fly ignition

I have the Sure Fly ignition, two of them actually.
I sugest removing the starter magneto and replace with one Sure Fly.
You will never regret it. Reasonable price. No service required before engine overhaul. It just works.

Good Luck

Back