What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 electric fuel pump quit

Lookout

I'm New Here
We are third owners of an RV12. The 5 amp fuse for the electric fuel pump has blown twice and after the second fuse was replaced, the pump won’t run at all. Where to start? This is our first ELSA.

Determine whether the problem is the pump itself or the aircraft wiring.
Disconnect the positive wire from the fuel pump.
If there is a capacitor, disconnect it also.
Install a 5 amp inline fuse between another 12 volt power source and the fuel pump.
If the new inline fuse blows, the problem is the fuel pump.
If the pump runs fine, the problem is in the aircraft wiring or capacitor if installed.
Check wherever the fuel pump supply wire passes through sheet metal,
especially the instrument panel bottom and over the rudder pedals.

Joe,

If you disconnect the fuel pump and the fuse still blows that should mean the wiring is bad, right?

Rich

Is your main battery fully charged? Is it blowing as you try to start the engine? If you try to start the plane with a very low charged battery, with the fuel pump on, the fuel pump fuse can blow due to low voltage and high amp draw. It happened to me early on, until I started keeping the battery connected to a Battery Tender between flights. Yes, I have gone several weeks between flight.

Lookout, if you find you need a new pump, query "facet" on the Aircraftspruce website and you can find all the info about the 3 pumps I've found on Vans website that they sell for carbureted RV-12s, Facet solid state electric fuel pump models 40105, 40106 and 40108. I believe I bought our backup years ago at NAPA.

Back