What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument panel visual distance

WildThing

Well Known Member
So, I'm at SNF checking out the Dynon glass. My current plan is to stack 2 of the HDX800's for my EFIS and map functions with round ASI and ALT on either side as backups. The font size on the 7" displays is a bit on the smallish side (vs the 10" display) - but that of course depends on how far your Mark 1's are from the screen. SO... I need someone to go sit in their -8 and measure from the bridge of their nose to a point about 5" below the glare shield as I have full size pix of the 7" and 10" displays that I can then compare. Capischi?

This is just a preliminary run at what I'm shooting for.

Attachments

• Dual Dynon 7%22.pdf
    465.9 KB · Views: 162
24 inches in a 6

If the measurement from a -6 will help, it's about 24 inches...
Is there a reason you wouldn't consider putting in a single 10 inch display?
I haven't seen a HDX display in person but I expect the higher resolution will make it easier to see.

If the measurement from a -6 will help, it's about 24 inches...
Is there a reason you wouldn't consider putting in a single 10 inch display?
I haven't seen a HDX display in person but I expect the higher resolution will make it easier to see.

Thanks Paul, not sure if the -6 is the same distance as the -8, but I'm sure it's close. I want 2 screens, preferably up and down vs side by side so I have one as the Primary Flight Display (PFD) and one as the map and any other ancillary screens I care to look at. I don't like the left/right split screen setup on a single display if I can avoid having to use it (and Dynon doesn't split top/bottom). The symmetry of upper/lower in a centerline seating arrangement "feels better" to me. Picky? Yes. But if I can have my cake and eat it too.... ;)

As for the clarity of the screens - yes, the HDX is better. The Classic and SE are both good, but the higher res of the HDX is "sharper". The font size of the 7" is quite a bit smaller than the 10" at the same viewing distance though (20%-30%). The 10" is definitely easier to read at a given distance than the 7", but if the 7" is physically close enough to my eyeballs, then it's still acceptable.

Having flown both small and large HDX, I would only install the larger one. Size does matter….

Yes it does Dennis ;) And yeah, the smaller font MAY kill my preference, but I definitely prefer 2 screens because 1 - I really don't like switching back and forth between the PFD and the map, and 2 - I don't like the left/right split screen setup on a single display if I can avoid having to use it (and Dynon doesn't split top/bottom). The symmetry of upper/lower in a centerline seating arrangement "feels better" to me. Picky? Yes. But if I can have my cake and eat it too.... ;)

Yes it does Dennis ;) And yeah, the smaller font MAY kill my preference, but I definitely prefer 2 screens because 1 - I really don't like switching back and forth between the PFD and the map, and 2 - I don't like the left/right split screen setup on a single display if I can avoid having to use it (and Dynon doesn't split top/bottom). The symmetry of upper/lower in a centerline seating arrangement "feels better" to me. Picky? Yes. But if I can have my cake and eat it too.... ;)

I have a single 10 inch, zero issues with font size and just display both on the 10 inch so never need to switch anything. D10a for backup. I highly recommend the stand alone autopilot panel as a add on. The panel for setting baro and bugs is nice also.

Last edited:
I have a single 10 inch, zero issues with font size and just display both on the 10 inch so never need to switch anything. D10a for backup. I highly recommend the stand alone autopilot panel as a add on. The panel for setting baro and bugs is nice also.

The "view-ability" of the 10" is definitely nice. If they had a "portrait" orientation of it, I'd go with just 1 of them as Plan A.

Still in the deciding stage re: the knob set add-ons. One of the things I like about the Dynon is the ease of access to the "most used" in-flight settings like baro, autopilot, etc.

21” with a 3” thick seat back cushion. It looks like the seat back cushion compresses down to 2” when I am seated. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Then do two SkyViews, one big one small. I find this to work very well, and even turning off the big display I can do an approach on just the one smaller display.

Carl
500-CD095-E780-4-A37-BFC7-3-C68-A60-F72-E1.jpg

Then do two SkyViews, one big one small. I find this to work very well, and even turning off the big display I can do an approach on just the one smaller display.

Carl
500-CD095-E780-4-A37-BFC7-3-C68-A60-F72-E1.jpg

That's something I hadn't considered Carl, thanks for muddying the water ;) Even tho the lg screen would be off center, when in split mode, the PFD portion could be centerline. I still like the "symmetry" of stacked screens, and with the measurement that 74-07 provided, I'll have to sit behind my mock ups to see what's what. But your layout has potential. Hmmm, the plot thickens...

I just read my answer back to you and I want to make certain I was clear. I measured the seat back cushion before I sat down and it was 3 inches thick. Once I was seated, the seat back cushion compressed to about 2 inches. I then took the measurement from 5 inches below the glareshield bottom to the bridge of my nose while sitting upright. That measurement was 21 inches.

I just read my answer back to you and I want to make certain I was clear. I measured the seat back cushion before I sat down and it was 3 inches thick. Once I was seated, the seat back cushion compressed to about 2 inches. I then took the measurement from 5 inches below the glareshield bottom to the bridge of my nose while sitting upright. That measurement was 21 inches.

Thanks Rob! That's how I understood your answer :)

HDX1100 + HDX800

I too went with one big and one small HDX.
2 HDX1100 can fit side by side but I needed the place for the EFII controller and a future Avidyne screen...
I may have to order a new panel and lower the small screen for the Avidyne just above...

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpeg
    IMG_3853.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thanks Eric. A different question for ya - with your close adjacent layout, do you ever "bump" the intercom when using the radio - especially if there's some turbulence? Or do you usually just use the main EFIS screen to work the radio? I'm shooting for a "hand friendly" layout when it's a little choppy.

Jeff,
I don't find that I bump the Intercom when tuning radio with the SV-COM-PANEL even in turbulence.
I don't use the EFIS screen to change frenquencies.
I do use the screen menus for transponder codes, timer up or down and navigation.
I edited my previous post to add that 2 HDX1100 can fit side by side on a RV8 panel

Back