What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronic Level

I need to acquire an electronic level to complete the build on my empennage. Looking for suggestions on brands and models that have worked well for others.

i do some woodworking so I use a magnetic angle gauge. it's compact and can be taped to the control surface or a larger piece of angle and has a zero option. well worth the ~$30. I have the Wixey but the Klein is nice as well.

I had the MD SmartTool angle sensor. My opinion is you don't NEED this device, although there's something comforting about seeing 0.0 degrees. Its also handy for checking for twist on an object that isn't level with respect to gravity. The reality is though many flying aircraft were build with a bubble level.

The Smart Tool is handy but the zero is awkward to set. And it tends to run through 9V batteries.

There's probably a better one out there for the money.

Dave

I’ll be honest - I have an electronic level languishing somewhere in my toolbox - its been there ever since I learned that my iPhone has a level app, which I use regularly for all sorts of things!

Last edited:
I've used my phone app plenty of times (the two plane feature is wicked cool). It has it's purpose. It also has its limitations.

Relative/absolute feature is more handy than you'd expect. You don't have to worry about getting the reference, usually an airplane axis, level first though I keep it wicked close anyway. Also can eliminate stupid math errors. 90/180 setting is also handy.

I have a Klein. Available from Home Depot, Amazon, etc. It has the above features and is compact. Makes many two person jobs into a single set of hands. Survived a couple of drops as well. It is inexpensive. The display can be tough to read in the wrong light.

Just an option. I'm sure there's others. A couple of pix using relative mode and a two man -> one man scenario.

Attachments

• left ail deflect 0.1.jpg
    left ail deflect 0.1.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 62
  • left ail deflect 30.jpeg
    left ail deflect 30.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 52
  • right ail deflect.jpeg
    right ail deflect.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 60
MD Smart Tool

I noticed the same thing. I started storing it without the battery installed. what a pain!

That is so odd. I have an MD Smart Tool Electronic. I've owned and used it 10 years and don't recall ever replacing the battery. I also have a little Klein. Nice because it's so small and magnetic. They always match so now I tend to grab the smaller Klein. My go to is a pendulum protractor. All three get used. I also use my phone.

I noticed the same thing. I started storing it without the battery installed. what a pain!

I have had my MD Smart Tool level since I started my build 20+ years ago and can not recall ever replacing the battery. I still use it at least every Condition Inspection to check mag timing.

GemRed 82412 Mini Digital Level, $23 or so. Works fine. "Aim small, miss small" is why I like it more than the bubble style level, but it's probably overkill.

Also have a couple of bubble levels, and a Tacklife SC-L07 laser level that came in handy working on the wings.

Back