What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quadrant?

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Anyone have a throttle quadrant vice vernier cables on their 6? If so, any pics of how it is mounted would be appreciated!
Thank you.

We put dual side quadrants on the spar cap strips. Not sure if you wanted side or center mount quadrant photos, I can provide more details on the mount if you're interested in the side mount.

Attachments

• PXL_20211128_040557809.jpg
    PXL_20211128_040557809.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
I’m looking for center quadrant. Though looks like you have a beautiful setup going there! Who did the panel for you?

This is what I had,

Quadrant1.jpg

I've just removed it and am fitting a throttle with vernier mixture & prop. Everything in a quadrant means the friction must be up tight to stop anything moving, means the throttle will be stiff. Also means it is difficult to lift the floor panels over the controls for inspection. There are a couple of 1" x 0.063 angles running fore/aft that the quadrant mounts on.

If I were starting from scratch I would do something like this

Quadrant 2.jpg

with a centre piece just wider than the quadrant - much easier to access the friction knob - but still with 2 x verniers, probably under the quadrant as the location shown was too close to the quadrant.

No throttle drag

There was a lot of talk about the prop lever creeping and the high drag on the throttle some time back. Some spoke of putting a weaker return spring on the prop control. I decided to cure the problem instead putting of a bandaid on it.

I have the DJM center quadrant on my 6 and love it.To cure quadrant drag on throttle on mixture controls I put UHMW washers on each side of the levers and didn't do that for the prop lever. The prop lever stays put just fine and allows smooth operation of the throttle and mixture. I did have to go up one size on the AN3 bolts that hold the quadrant together.

Ed Holyoke

Anyone have a throttle quadrant vice vernier cables on their 6? If so, any pics of how it is mounted would be appreciated!
Thank you.

I got a piece of the channel that Van's uses for the electric flap box and mounted it under the panel extending forward to the subpanel. You could use a couple of pieces of angle for that. If I remember right, it's just the right width to mount the quadrant. I did have to relocate the hole for the prop to get the right throw. The clevises had some clearance problems too. I filed inside those to get clearance fr the angle of the cables. You could instead maybe use rod end bearings if they'd fit between the levers.

Ed Holyoke

Back