What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing Bottom Wing Skin

pmccoy

Well Known Member
I have left the bottom wing skin open, as I wanted to install some extras prior to those final rivets. Working on the fuselage, my next step calls for fitting the wings to set the incidence. I assume I should finish the bottom wing skins before doing this. I have done the following.

- Wiring conduit is run in both L & R wing.
- Auto Pilot bracket mounted in right wing.
- Pitot tube and line mounted in left wing.

So, I am asking if I have anything else to do before I close the wings. Thanks.

Pete McCoy.

Peter,

It sounds like you are ready to close them up.

One thing I did, that you might wish to think about, was to put a pull string in the left wing and have it exit next to the pitot tube. That way you can pull a power wire in the future, if you ever wish to install a heated pitot.

I also left a full length pull string in each wing's conduit, just in case.

Pete -
I'm just about to close up my wings too.
One of things I suggest is to run your AutoPilot wiring - but not in the same conduit as the lights/strobes - since you may get some interference.
I'm sure others can give you their recommendations.
Good Luck...
Lorin D
9A Wings
(N194LD reserved)

Wings CLOSED!

I closed the wings up this weekend... This is a real test of dexterity. The left wing took longer with having to work around the heated pitot and the ECM. The only problem was when I dropped the bucking bar down into the third bay of the leading edge...Now I have to figure a way to get it out. Or drop another one inside the right wing so they balance :eek:
071104d.JPG

How much extra wire?

Just curious, how much extra wiring did you leave bundled up at the root? What is the assumed "footage" needed to thread it's way up to your electrical panel?
No sense wasting wire, no WAY I want it to be short!
Clay Cook
sealing the tanks of the "Cookie Monster"

Pete -
I'm just about to close up my wings too.
One of things I suggest is to run your AutoPilot wiring - but not in the same conduit as the lights/strobes - since you may get some interference.
I'm sure others can give you their recommendations.

I'm interested in the suggestions about now running the AP wiring along with lights/strobes. Can anyone give some feed back on this beeing a good idea / bad idea?

Christopher.

I would advise against running strobe power with the AP. The pulsing of the strobe current might induce glitches into the AP so that everytime the strobe charges, the AP might twitch.

Shielding the strobe lines might preclude problems, but it would be better to run the stobe wiring with the landing lights, and keep the AP wiring seperate.

I run all my wires through the same conduit (strobe, landing/taxi, wing tip antenna, AP, heated pitot) and no interference observed.

Wing Skins are Closed

Thanks for everyone's input. I have finished the wings and moved on with fitting them on the fuselage.

I'm at the point where the manual calls for setting the wing incidence. I'd rather not close the wings yet though. Any other confirmations like Greg's earlier post that it is ok to mount the wings with bottom skins only clecoed?

I did all the initial fitment without my bottom outboard skin in place (RV-7A): Set incidence & sweep, installed fuel tank bracket, wing root fairing, set up flaps, etc.

My thought is the wing is already in its final shape with last last skin remaining to install.

Thanks for confirming this. Knowing the importance of this step, I really didn't want to mess it up.

Back