What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How accurate are crating windows?

bmellis11

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Today I received an estimated empennage kit crating date of Nov 15, 2022 - Dec 13, 2022. I know there has been a lot of delays due to increased volume and supply chain issues. Has anyone received a kit recently that can comment on how accurate their initial estimated crating period was?

My crate date for QB wings for the 10 was June 23 - July 7. I think it was fairly accurate. Shipping takes place after that which in my case was about a week later. Still waiting for those bad boys as they are sitting in customs in Surrey BC. :confused:

It’s hard waiting on this stuff

All the best

Keith

I just received my fuselage and wing kits for an RV-12 project and a few months ago I was given overlapping crating windows for the two kits. They shipped on the last day common to both windows. 5 parts were on back-order between the two kits when they shipped and one of those (a miscellaneous hardware bag) arrived in the mail before the kits reached me.

While there are still supply chain problems, I think Van's has done a lot of work to get control of what they can and they seem to be pretty accurate with their crating windows now. Based on my experience and some others on VAF, I suggest that if you don't hear about final payment before your window opens, either call them or make the payment. I know others who ordered after me were receiving their kits well ahead of me. I didn't receive the final payment email until well into my crating window and after several emails asking for information. I wonder if that delayed my crating or if they simply waited to ship all the crates together to save me some money (which I do appreciate!). Like everyone else these days, they're short handed and overworked so it could have been a little of each.

I got my wing and fuselage kits today. They were ready to ship a few days after the crating window closed. Then had to wait for a carrier, then a week or so in transit (OR to SWFL). Charges for all three crates combined was about $1500, which was less than I was expecting.

They are struggling right now it appears. They just missed my crating window for my -8 wings for the third time and I've heard not a word from them about this one.

I’m at the beginning of my Rv-7a fuse crating window. I called and they said they should be starting in a day or so.

My crating window was last week and I got an e-mail today with this update:
Parts Being Produced

The status of your kit has been set to "Parts Being Produced." This indicates that our factory is in the process of creating the many parts that make up your kit. Some of our kits contain parts made by third parties, as well. This status indicates that the manufacturing process is taking place. Depending on the kit and volume in the factory, the timelines for this step can vary.

What to Expect

Once your kit changes status and/or we add or modify estimated completion dates for your kit, you'll receive another email from us.

Crating Window

Ordered my RV-10 QB Wings September 2020. Yes, 2020. Delays got tangled up with some of the past issues out of Van’s control. I received an email in May saying the kit will be “arriving at Vans soon” and they will prepare to start crating. The expected excitement ensued :). They also requested the final payment, which was promptly paid and acknowledged. The kit status web page currently shows “Assigned to Crating” with a window of Aug. 8 to Aug. 22. So, we’ll see… Looking forward to this next stage.

*** UPDATE ***
Got a call from Todd at Stewart Transportation Aug 16. He had received word from Van's that my QB Wings were ready for transport and he had a delivery date in September. Then I got an email from Van's Aug. 18 with the invoice and three other documents. Later that day I got a call from Van's regarding the same information. All looks like it's on track for my delivery. It's been a long wait but I'm very much looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Update

I’m half way through my RV-7 fuse crating window and just got the email that it has moved to shipping. Yippee.

Shipped last day of crating window

Fuselage Kit shipped last day of crating window, and I picked it up at the freight lines terminal locally 7 days later(today). Pretty accurate

Fuselage Kit shipped last day of crating window, and I picked it up at the freight lines terminal locally 7 days later(today). Pretty accurate

I'm a week after the end of my crating window and no updates as yet. RV10 Fuselage Crating Window Jul 14-Aug 11.

Back