What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Protector

I just got my RV12 painted and I would like to put some protective material around the tow bar holes in the wheel pans. My first thought was the non-skid material that Vans sells for the wing walk. But that is black. Another thought was to 3D print a very thin piece of plastic with the required holes, but I am not sure how to adhere it to the painted wheel pans. Any suggestions on either method?

Teflon Tape

What about the Teflon tape like they use under the top edge of the flaps where it rubs against the wing skin?

Some suggestions:
1. Polish the lugs on the tow bar to remove any sharp edges.
2. Apply clear Gorilla Tape to the wheel pant around the holes.
3. Take care when attaching the tow bar - lift the business end up from ground level rather than slide it on from the front! :)

Attachments

• D595B354-C95D-45F3-91ED-9D11FAA0C731.jpg
    D595B354-C95D-45F3-91ED-9D11FAA0C731.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
amazon to the rescue

For those Stainless Steel entry protectors.
Look on Amazon for closet pole end supports. You will find a six pack for about $12.00. They have 3 holes for mounting and should work great. I use them for through the firewall ports for wiring.
I made some in my shop but found them there are much better than I can make.
Art

I have 3m paint protection film on my 6A in all the strategic places, makes a big difference. You can get it on amazon etc.

Modify your tow bar

This works well for me. Using a Bogert Tow bar but also modified my Best Tug forks using this method. For the Bogert Tow bar use 1 in to 1.25-inch double wall (This is important) 3:1 heat shrink. Use ~ 3/4 inch longer than the fork and while hot push it back into the fork hole. (See picture) Let cool while still pushing the hear shrink into the interior of the hole. Now the steel portion will not scratch your paint, or the aluminum ring installed.

Attachments

• Bagart Tow Bar Protectors.jpg
    Bagart Tow Bar Protectors.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 117
This works well for me. Using a Bogert Tow bar but also modified my Best Tug forks using this method. For the Bogert Tow bar use 1 in to 1.25-inch double wall (This is important) 3:1 heat shrink. Use ~ 3/4 inch longer than the fork and while hot push it back into the fork hole. (See picture) Let cool while still pushing the hear shrink into the interior of the hole. Now the steel portion will not scratch your paint, or the aluminum ring installed.

I used the clear paint protection film but I think I like this idea better

Back