What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The best part of Oshkosh

turbo

Well Known Member
P1000553-1.jpg

I must say I never got to see mr Hoover fly but the time spent with him was a blast. He has a great energy and zest for life. We had a lot of laughs and watched some of the girls walking by. After talking for quite a while he was spotted by some fans and it was time to move on. One on one time with bob was a special part of osh. It's all about the people.

Thanks

Turbo

That is one hand I would love to shake! Glad he is doing so well, what a life that guy has lived.

That reminds me of many years (decades now) ago when I was much younger and used to watch Bob fly the shows. Sometimes he would be selling/signing books after the show, and those were always popular. At the time I was a young lad without any money (I had to save just to get to OSH), so I really couldn't afford one of his books (I was the kid who used to sign up for the "free EAA credit card just to get one of those shirts - y'all remember them). Because I couldn't afford the fancy book I remember asking him politely if he'd sign a dollar bill for me instead, and he was more than happy to do it as well as chat for a few moments. His handlers/media minders were quite upset that I "wasted" their precious money earning time, but I'll never forget the guy taking the time out to sign a dollar bill for a young guy just trying to save money for his first plane project. As luck would have it some number of years later I was able to get the first RV tail kit on order and the rest is history!

I still keep that dollar bill and it's sitting on my desk and I just glanced at it as I type this. I guess my point is that typifies many folks in aviation, especially so from that generation. I received similar responses from Paul Tibbets and the Enola Gay crew, along with many others I've happened in to over the years so I make it a point to try and not ignore someone regardless of how much "money they are spending" at the time I see them.

As far as OSH specifics, I get to see many of you that have become friends over the years. Having a beer one evening after the show is always good (this years gathering was really nice), or just shooting the breeze in the booth. It's also fun to see folks who worked hard win an award without expecting it!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Star struck

I don't usually get star struck, but I must admit, the first time I saw Bob walking the ABCD hangars, I couldn't help myself. I said, "Holy @#$%, that's Bob Hoover!" To which some touristy dude in a hawaiian shirt near me said, "Who's Bob Hoover?" After a brief second of looking at Mr. Hawaii with disdain and disbelief, I walked over a shook Bob's hand. What a neat guy. It's so cool, the people you see at OSH just walking around...

When "Forever Flying" went to print, I mentioned to Patti that I would love to have a copy, as I very much admired Mr. Hoover.

Unknown to me she set out to get an autographed copy, and somehow tracked down Mr. Hoover's office number. He wasn't in, but Patti explained her request and his secretary offered to take a message. Figuring that was the end of that, Patti ordered a copy from bookstore.

A few days later the phone rings, and yep, it's Bob. Patti says he was charming, giving here an address where she could send the book, and promising to inscribe it and get it back to her. Which he did.

Her three favorite pilots: Scott Crossfield, Bob Hoover, and...me ;)

Back in the 90's, during that unfortunate FAA induced hiatus from his airshow performances, Bob was manning the Engstrom tent back at OSH.

My family and I were walking by, and I recognized him, so we went over and said hi, and how much we were disappointed in the actions of the FAA grounding him.

We spent a half hour or so talking, and he even let us get a photo or two. My favorite is with my daughter, who was 8 at the time. Bob has her sitting on his lap.

True gentleman if there ever was one.

Hoover memories

I'm glad to say he grew up in Nashville, Tennessee, not far from my roots. The first time I saw him fly was at the Tennessee Aviation Days air show at the Smyrna Airport (it was Sewart AFB in the 50's) circa 1981. He did the "Tennessee Waltz" and other maneuvers in "Miss Coronado," a locally owned P-51 he flew because his company P-51 was down for maintenance, and he did his Rockwell Shrike airshow routine. Both routines were just beautiful.

I guess it shows my age but I always preferred his smooth energy management type of airshow flying over the "herky-jerky" stuff the airshow pilots do now.

In the 90s, just before the FAA fiasco hit, I recognized him on a commercial flight we were both on, from LA back to Atlanta. I've never been one to ask for autographs, but I did go back and talk to him after dinner on the plane. He was so easy to talk to, and I tried not to take too much of his time. He was on his way to a connecting flight to Chattanooga where he was to perform in an airshow, and I was on my way back home to Huntsville.

I saw him, but didn't talk to him at Oshkosh 2012, when he was being chauffered around in a golf cart. You could tell the younger crowd had no idea who he was.

He's certainly one of my favorite pilots. I shook his hand; that's enough for me.

Last edited:
Dad took me to the Reno Air Races the September after I graduated high school (1973 - Was that REALLY 40 years ago?:eek:), and shaking Bob Hoover's hand was one of the high points for this not-yet-18-year-old kid.:)

Had a similar experience at Sun N fun back in early 90's....standing around talking to Will James (also a pleasure) when an older gent approached and began a conversation with Will. They were obviously friends. The conversation was about cooling drag. I threw in a few worthless comments.

When he left, Will says "Know who that was??" No..... "That was Scott Crossfield" Yikes, what a thrill.

Handshake

I was lucky enough to shake Mr. Hoover's hand at OSH 2011 and my stick and rudder skills must have gone up at least 50% since. :) Really nice guy, and wow, what a pilot.

This year had a real highlight moment for me, but I didn't realize it at the time just how important it would be. I was going for a walk during the airshow on Saturday afternoon and saw Paul Poberezny and others approaching in a golf cart. They happened to slow down right in front of me and I was able to tell him thanks for all he has done for aviation over the years. He shook my hand, said thanks and was on his way. I have done that several times in past years when I saw him driving around in the red bug or golf cart, I'm sorry it will be the last.

Listening to Bud Anderson speak is also great and something I try to have my boys experience each year. I bought my them each a copy of his book and Bud signed them at the authors corner. He also signed an Old Crow 1/16 scale model for me which I now treasure. Bud is of the same ilk as Hoover.

Chuck Yeager telling stories at the EAA museum hanger a couple years ago is also a highlight. My kids think being around these heros is cool, but don't appreciate it as much now as they will in a few years I'm sure.

I was able to talk with Bob Hoover and his wife at an event after the Young Eagles fund raiser a couple years ago. I have watched him fly at Oshkosh since 1980 when I was kid and talking to him one on one for thirty minutes or so is a definate Oshkosh top memory. A true gentleman and his wife Colleen was a pleasure to talk with also.

When I was twelve, I stood in line at Osh for quite a while to have Greg "Pappy" Boyington sign a poster of a Corsair that I had bought. When it was my turn, he asked if I bought a book. I said no, but asked instead for him to sign my poster. He said he wouldn't unless I bought a book, which I couldn't afford. The accounts I have read about him in years since confirmed what this PO'd twelve-year old felt, but didn't have the nerve to tell a WWII ace at the time. I appreciate his service and all, but I was not impressed to say the least.

Great Post DanH

When "Forever Flying" went to print, I mentioned to Patti that I would love to have a copy, as I very much admired Mr. Hoover.

Unknown to me she set out to get an autographed copy, and somehow tracked down Mr. Hoover's office number. He wasn't in, but Patti explained her request and his secretary offered to take a message. Figuring that was the end of that, Patti ordered a copy from bookstore.

A few days later the phone rings, and yep, it's Bob. Patti says he was charming, giving here an address where she could send the book, and promising to inscribe it and get it back to her. Which he did.

Her three favorite pilots: Scott Crossfield, Bob Hoover, and...me ;)

Great Post Dan, I like the fact that you spread the envelope to include others. I like to see those great names for the memories they stir up. At Oshkosh I made eye contact with Chuck Yeager as he was holding court with a small group. Nothing you say, well you have never made eye contact with Chuck Yeager. I bought Pappy Boyington's book which he autographed at a small table at Reno in the 1980s. The best showmen I ever saw were Art Scholl and Jimmy Franklin but I never met either of them. Some of these people have an aura and it is good to know you have seen them and have your own personal memory. When the AOPA Air Safety Foundation Chairman published a article questioning Scott Crossfield's flying procedures after his crash I no longer had any respect for the author or his organization.

Oshkosh and Reno are the only places that I know of that the opportunity generally exists to see these legends and even there the opportunities are shrinking.

Bob Axsom

Best Part

60 degree temps

Camping with my wife and having a reason to do so

Flying the Fisk approach and the excitement that accompanies it

Meeting up with friends and family of friends that have passed on. The family continues to come because it is what they have always done.

Meeting my Airshow pilot heroes

Passing by Jerry's one man band in the tram. I made a donation this year.

Knowing flying is rooted deep in my being and OSH is the Mecca for pilots....I am there

Met Bob Hoover years ago at Las Vegas airport of all places....Burger King. I asked him if Yeager was right.....was he "the best stick and rudder man that ever lived?" He smiled and we made our whoppers last a good hour at that tiny table. He wrote my address down on on a napkin and stuffed it in his suit pocket. Two weeks later I received a box of .....what I like to think took him 30 minute or so to accumulate. Most of which is displayed on my office desk and framed on my wall.

Last edited:
Back