What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-7/7A!!!

First fly-in

DSC09471.JPG

Welcome to VAF!

Jon,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Nice looking plane you have there.

Good to have you aboard.

Jon,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Nice looking plane you have there.

Good to have you aboard.
Mike,
Thanks, I have been a silent spectator for about 7 years. The airplane looks and fly's well partly because of this website. Much more than partly.
Jon

The Grass is ALWAYS Green!!!!

Here is a nice picture of me and my Time Machine landing at Triple Tree Aerodrome where the grass is always green and beautiful.

n6fg5v.jpg

Deja vu

Congratulations Jim! Your plane looks just like mine except for the fact that I forgot to put that little wheel on the back. Mine is polished and all of the fiberglass is painted blue.

Enjoy and be safe.

Another finished 7

After years of helping other with their RV projects, it is my turn. Here is my RV7.It's been flying for about 8weeks with an Aero Sport IO-375 and a BA prop. Fantastic performance.Terry
e7yzr9.jpg
28j9kra.jpg
[/IMG]
2lxz1b7.jpg
2ufeqlh.jpg

Just to let you know that kit #71340 has now become ZU-LOL and is flying.
This is a slow build fuselage and QB wing kit that has been travelling around for about ten years and changing hands a few times as well.
I have managed to complete it for Larry Beamish and the snag free maiden was done on 2 January 2014.

It has a new Superior IO-360 swinging a Hartzell CS prop. The panel is fitted with a Dynon D180, Trutrack ADI II AP and various other instruments.

It will be living at The Coves Aero Estate in Hartbeespoort, South Africa.

Here is the owner and me posing before the maiden.
ZU-LOL_01_Larry_Jan.jpg

The inside with RVBits carbon side panels
ZU-LOL_02.jpg

The first take off
ZU-LOL_03_First_Flight.jpg

A nice aerial shot
ZU-LOL_04.jpg

From another 7
ZU-LOL_05.jpg

Beautiful

Way to go, Jan. Beautiful plane!
...and BTW really nice intersection fairings you have there. :D

Sam

Just to let you know that kit #71340 has now become ZU-LOL and is flying.
This is a slow build fuselage and QB wing kit that has been travelling around for about ten years and changing hands a few times as well.
I have managed to complete it for Larry Beamish and the snag free maiden was done on 2 January 2014.

It has a new Superior IO-360 swinging a Hartzell CS prop. The panel is fitted with a Dynon D180, Trutrack ADI II AP and various other instruments.

It will be living at The Coves Aero Estate in Hartbeespoort, South Africa.

Here is the owner and me posing before the maiden.
ZU-LOL_01_Larry_Jan.jpg

The inside with RVBits carbon side panels
ZU-LOL_02.jpg

The first take off
ZU-LOL_03_First_Flight.jpg

A nice aerial shot
ZU-LOL_04.jpg

From another 7
ZU-LOL_05.jpg

Best tail number ever!

Best Tail Number Ever

JIP :D
Can be: Live One Live, Laughing Out Loud, Larrys One Love. Larry is the owner.

N771RG

rwuvk4.jpg
35iyhx0.jpg
[/IMG]

My RV-7 was complete in 2008 after 6 years of slow build fun. She performs just as advertised with a Superior IO360 and a CS Hartzell prop. She's hangared at KAPA and is my pride and joy.

Any more details on cowl flaps and wing fillets?

Great looking 7A! Congratulations.

I'm curious about your cowl flaps and wing fillets. Did the fillets come from a 3rd party or are they your own design.

Thanks.

Fillets

Hi, the fillets are more or less prototype fairings from Extremecomposites:

http://www.extremecomposites.com/aircraftparts.html

They require some composite work and trimming but they look correct and if nothing else they dont slow you down, and hopefully the give you a few more knots!!
I think after some more evatuation that it would show that the net increase is about 2-3 ktas.

Reg's

Hakan

Introducing my "new" RV7...Wablosa

Although, I wouldn't call her "finished", especially the interior which isn't quite there yet...but this is pretty close. Photos are the handiwork of one Mr. Doug Reeves as posted on the VAF front page a few days ago. Here they are again...in case you missed them. We'll be at OSH...stop by and say hi.

IMG_1469_zps9a87669a.jpg

IMG_1466_zpsfade8ff0.jpg

IMG_1470_zps79e5d7db.jpg

IMG_1467_zps0d25e2bb.jpg

IMG_1474_zps4d8111bc.jpg

IMG_1472_zps9e027fc7.jpg

IMG_1465_zps774d84df.jpg

Is this a locker on your wing tip

Yes, it sure is. My canopy cover fits in there nicely. I got the idea from somebody who did it on an RV8...albeit with the previous style wingtips that have a more flat top surface. With the curvature of the current wingtips, its a little more challenging. Although it looks nice in the photo, I am having trouble with it bowing in flight. I need to stiffen it up somehow or add another latch. But I would do it again, it wasn't too difficult and its very handy for lightweight extra's. Obviously...no spins or acro with any contents in the tip storage compartment--purely a cross country feature.

Wing locker with stiffners

I got the idea from somebody who did it on an RV8...albeit with the previous style wingtips that have a more flat top surface. With the curvature of the current wingtips, its a little more challenging. Although it looks nice in the photo, I am having trouble with it bowing in flight. I need to stiffen it up somehow or add another latch.

1z2heh5.jpg

The New Girl >> Wild Blue

Andy, Ben -
Thanks! It will look good at 500 feet.

Moose -
The N-number was a reference to an observation from my wife a couple of years ago. (For the first several years, she referred to the plane as 'The New Girl'.) One night when I came in late from bucking rivets she said, "Before the 'New Girl', you thought about family planning 24/7. Now you think about her 24/7 and all I get is the leftovers". Not entirely true. Anyway, the plane is now officially called "Wild Blue", and the N-number is a reminder of the dedication that success demands.

She also notes that, "A good project makes a husband easier to appreciate". She has been very supportive of the project.
- Roger

Looks really nice Roger. Congratulations! I will come down and see her soon.
Gary

Gary,
Ya, know, you are within my 25 SM phase one circle, maybe I can stop by after I build a bit more confidence in systems. Glad to see you any time!
- Roger

First Flight, N247RV

Seemed like it was never going to happen, but last weekend saw the building end and Phase 1 testing begin. Three thousand hours of build time over the past six years seems like a blur now. With a Titan IO-360, Hartzell prop, and Dual SkyView panel, it should make a good cross country cruiser.
Special thanks to two sons who set high standards for bucking rivets and all those other four-hands tasks. Special thanks to a wife who remained patiently supportive as 'the new girl' slowly became "Wild Blue".
Yes, there were times when external encouragement was required.

It's quite a thrill to finally transfer from the ranks of RV builders to the league of RV fliers! Looking forward to aviation adventures when Phase 1 is completed.

- Roger

Looks like I can FINALLY post in this thread!

It took 10 years but N357JS kit number 70312 is finally a completed aircraft!

image_049.jpg

I seem to also be the first aircraft in the US to have the new Op Lims that will allow a second test pilot!

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/eaa/2014-10-09-teaming-up-for-safety

I haven't been up with another pilot yet. So far I have 3 hours on the plane and am enjoying every minute of it.

It has been quite a journey! See you at Oshkosh!

image_056.jpg

image_050.jpg

;). CJ

Last edited:
Well Done Guys!

Roger, Hey, the front page for both of us today. Congrats - yours is much more complete and prettier than mine!

Captain John, I have followed your build for years. Way to stick with it.

Let's all have many years of safe and satisfying flying!

Best,

Merrill

Congratulations Roger, Julie, and sons! You have a great airplane. Best of luck and wishing you many wonderful adventures.

Gary and Diane

Looks like I can FINALLY post in this thread!

It took 10 years but N357JS kit number 70312 is finally a completed aircraft!

image_049.jpg

I seem to also be the first aircraft in the US to have the new Op Lims that will allow a second test pilot!

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/eaa/2014-10-09-teaming-up-for-safety

I haven't been up with another pilot yet. So far I have 3 hours on the plane and am enjoying every minute of it.

It has been quite a journey! See you at Oshkosh!

image_056.jpg

image_050.jpg

;). CJ

Congrats again, John. Look forward to flying it with you!

Merrill and Max,

Thanks guys. I appreciate it!

Merrill, perhaps we will meet at a fly-in sometime? You aren't that far away from me.

These machines are incredible!

:) CJ

Congrats!

How did I miss this post? Congrats Captain!!!

Now hurry up and get that thing to the West Coast. I have some brews on ice with your name on them!

Dan

Thanks Top Gun!

That is an offer I cannot refuse!

Maybe after Osh, I can do a continental tour?

If I do, I will ring you up!

:D. CJ

First flight N60KR

After 26 months of building, my RV7 slow build flew October 16th at the hands of David Austin. We only had to hand finess one aileron.
I would like to thank Doyle Reed and The Air Capital Aviators for their support.
Rv7 slider equipped with O-320-D2a, Catto 2 blade prop, Enigma EFIS with autopilot, Trig Transponder, V-10 Radio, 14 hours flying in 5 days and about 75 landings, i guess i am gonna get them down yet. Ps thanks to Upnorth aviation for the great panel job, Abby at Flightline interiors for some very nice seats and the VAF Forum for all the information. Based at 55K.
Photos:
http://tinypic.com/m/ilev4z/4
http://tinypic.com/m/ilev4w/4
http://tinypic.com/m/ilev4p/4

Thanks

Keith Rhea
Paid 2014
Plans built VP1 and plans built DA2A
PS Kurt, can i borrow the toggle switch tool?

Last edited:
Back