What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I don't know why it took me so long to think of this *PIC*

Echo Tango

Well Known Member
VVhSM.jpg

Works like a charm!

cost: $1.35 :D

Last edited:
I have wasted a lot of time using masking tape in different locations as needed. This is a great idea, thanks for sharing!

I haven't built an RV, but I'm guessing it's a bucking bar with O-rings around it to facilitate picking up from a table, and holding in use??

Yep. I use old pieces of bicycle tube.

hadn't thought of that. i was going to put some tape on my bar, but as i live about a block from a hardware store, i figured... why not an o-ring?!

i got some that were just a little wider than a set -3 rivet shop head (the rubber compresses while riveting) and i just set about 75 rivets without a single bad rivet! the two o-rings stabilize the bar and keep it flush against the flange i'm riveting, space it far enough to prevent marring, and allow me to kind of just hold it there loosely against the web/flange (it orients itself)

highly recommended :D

I haven't built an RV, but I'm guessing it's a bucking bar with O-rings around it to facilitate picking up from a table, and holding in use??

yes i put the third one on there for gripping. it's nice that you can move them around as well depending on what needs riveted/orientation of the bar ;)

one could conceivably get different thickness o-rings for different rivets sizes. basically eliminates slipping off of a rivet head as the rubber compresses while the rivet is set, but still holds the bar's orientation against the work piece while protecting against over-driving the rivet.

also makes it easier to pick up/hold. (and set down)

Duh....

I'm smacking myself in the head saying "Why didn't I think of that?"

Great idea and just in time for some riveting over the long weekend.

Great Idea

:D Super genius idea.

I'm on my way to the hardware store!

On a related thread.... I've used tiny o-rings over the stem of difficult rivets to help prevent tipping of rivets and over squishing them...

I think your method would be better and would actually control the bucking bar much better.

Hey Frank
I don't suppose you could post a few photos of this contraption positioned over some rivets for those of us just starting out and having trouble visualizing this? A video clip would be even better. Thanks

Back