What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-716 seat rib orientation

scollins

I'm New Here
The plans have the 3rd F716 seat rib from the center oriented with the flanges facing outboard instead of inboard like all the rest. I made a mistake and had those 2 ribs reversed (with flanges facing inboard) when I drilled the 2 bolt holes that go through the F-704 into them. If I now place the ribs in the correct orientation the bolt holes don't line up. So my options are to install them with the flanges facing outboard (like they were when I drilled them), or try to fix them (probably with a "patch" of .025 riveted to the flange that I can drill new bolt holes through) so I can install them per plans. Offhand, it doesn't seem like it would make a difference. But can anyone confirm that they've installed these with flanges facing inboard and haven't had any alignment or other problems?

Last edited:
OOPS...me to

scollins said:
The plans have the 3rd F716 seat rib from the center oriented with the flanges facing outboard instead of inboard like all the rest. I made a mistake and had those 2 ribs reversed (with flanges facing inboard) when I drilled the 2 bolt holes that go through the F-704 into them. If I now place the ribs in the correct orientation the bolt holes don't line up. So my options are to install them with the flanges facing outboard (like they were when I drilled them), or try to fix them (probably with a "patch" of .025 riveted to the flange that I can drill new bolt holes through) so I can install them per plans. Offhand, it doesn't seem like it would make a difference. But can anyone confirm that they've installed these with flanges facing inboard and haven't had any alignment or other problems?

Steve I did the same thing. :mad: Problem was the attachments for the crotch belt didn't fit. I had to fabricate a top hat to close the gap between the ribs. It was alot of extra work but did work! I was concerned that the seat pans would'nt fit but they did. Makes sense since the center top of the ribs is still oriented appropriatley.

Frank @SGU RV7A "NDY"working on the panel/electrical

Last edited:
seat ribs reversed

i, uh, did the same thing. also had a problem with the crotch strap mount. my solution was to cut the flanges off one side of the crotch strap brackets and rivet on a new "flange" constructed out of 032 that was the proper size to meet the rib. it was a fair amount of work, but seems to be o.k.

Order two new ribs. They don't cost that much and then use the old ribs to make other parts.

Ooooops, I goofed, too.

Frank and John,

Would you have pictures of how you made the crotch strap mount fit? My fuselage is 95% completed and after reading this thread, I just realized I made the same error. :(

Thank you,

RE:Seat rib fix

rv9builder said:
Frank and John,

Would you have pictures of how you made the crotch strap mount fit? My fuselage is 95% completed and after reading this thread, I just realized I made the same error. :(

Thank you,

I will check my pix archive and send them to you tomorrow in the PM time frame.

Frank @ SGU RV7A panel/electric...

RE:F716 Fix for crotch attachment.....

fstringham7a said:
I will check my pix archive and send them to you tomorrow in the PM time frame.

Frank @ SGU RV7A panel/electric...

Here is my fix to this little mistake that I thought I was the only one that made!!!!!!!! :D

I fabricated a top hat that went under the offending seat rib flange and attached the forward and aft crotch seat belt assemblies to the top hat on the one side and the none flanged side of the other rib. Have not flown yet.....so I have not crash test this arrangement!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=top002zi2.jpg
http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=top004tn9.jpg

I hope this helps

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

I also had two of the ribs in the wrong location as mentioned in this thread and match drilled the bolt holes to the F-704 bulkhead before I realized the problem. The rivet holes match up fine and I already have the crotch strap brackets riveted to the ribs. It will take some work to remove and replace the ribs if needed, but I would rather leave them and use a washer under the four bolts in question if it is an acceptable "fix". I sent an email to Van's and am curious what you guys think. I have screwed up before and have just bought the new parts, but this replacement is a little more involved.

HPIM7001.jpg

HPIM7002.jpg

Last edited:
Crotch strap kit install problem

Dont panic, if you have a search for an old thread with the above title you will see it is a common thing to do and easily fixed. I posted a photo there of my fix, but I dont know know to bring it here.

Pin 37, thanks for the reply and search term tip. My problem is different though in that I have the crotch strap brackets already riveted to the ribs and the bolt holes don't line up due to the two ribs being on the wrong side of the fuse center line when match drilled.

I got a reply from Joe B. today at Van's saying my washer fix would "probably" work ok, but a doubler strip the full size of the flange would be better. Once the doubler is riveted and bolted to the original flange and bulkhead it would be stronger than my large washer idea. I will drill out the rivets on the two ribs in question and add the doubler as he recommended.

Back