What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rustoleum Metallic Satin Nickel for interior?

Mhead

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have sprayed some test areas of my aft fuse with a few of the various rattle can paints that have been discussed on VAF to see what I liked. My favorite so far in appearance over the various hammered and textured Rustoleum products I tested is the Rustoleum Metallic Satin Nickel. I was originally thinking of a darker grey color to reduce glare as some guys seem to experience, but this satin nickel is actually almost a silver. The metallic finish seems to reduce reflection from the lights in my shop better than the hammered or texture products, even the hammered grey. Does anyone have experience with this paint regarding reflections and how does it hold up?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=-1&keyword=satin+nickel+paint&storeId=10051

Jetflex

I started out using Rustoleum hammered rattle can paint for my interior because it seemed to be an easy, cheap solution but later I decided I was not happy with the durability or consistency of the finish. I ordered a quart of Sherwin Williams Jetflex WR (water reducible) from Advanced Aircraft Coatings in Oklahoma City and I love it. It's easy to apply, I can control the finish from smooth to finely textured by adjusting the spray pressure, looks way more professional than the rattle can stuff, and is really tough and durable after curing for a couple of days. I did my entire interior with one quart for about $45 and the clean up is easy with soap and water. I ended up repainting most of the early parts.

I wouldn't use anything else if I did it again. Just my opinion.

rustoleum

I used the rustoleum hammered finish blue. The color is very suttle and I don't get tired looking at it. We are painting with some blue on the outside so we wanted to stay away from the normal grey,white etc colors for the interior. I don't think I have a problem with reflections or brightness. Only thing about rustoleum I realized is that it dries much slower than regular rattle can paint. After complete cure it is durable and has a good hardness. When it feels dry it still isn't cured, I usually wait a few days before much handling. Just my experience.

bird

I have sprayed some test areas of my aft fuse with a few of the various rattle can paints that have been discussed on VAF to see what I liked. My favorite so far in appearance over the various hammered and textured Rustoleum products I tested is the Rustoleum Metallic Satin Nickel. I was originally thinking of a darker grey color to reduce glare as some guys seem to experience, but this satin nickel is actually almost a silver. The metallic finish seems to reduce reflection from the lights in my shop better than the hammered or texture products, even the hammered grey. Does anyone have experience with this paint regarding reflections and how does it hold up?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=-1&keyword=satin+nickel+paint&storeId=10051

I used this along on my interior; it was painted about two years ago. I've since been in and out more times than I can count for electrical, avionics, and other installation tasks and I'm happy to report that it has held up very well.

I can't comment on reflections, since I don't have it any place where I though reflections might be an issue.

Thanks for the input from everyone, I know this topic is almost a "primer war" type discussion.

Chiefpilot Brad, do you have any pics of your interior you could post or send me? Also, my in-laws live in Hudson, WI and I will be in the area in early July, would like to take a look at your interior if possible.

Chiefpilot Brad, do you have any pics of your interior you could post or send me? Also, my in-laws live in Hudson, WI and I will be in the area in early July, would like to take a look at your interior if possible.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. However, please drop me a note when you're going to be in town in July - KSGS is only a 20-25 minute drive and I'd be happy to show you in person!

I'm using Rust-Oleum "Painters Touch Ultra Cover"

Satin Stone Gray. Seems very durable, especially after a week or two. One plus (especially for the interior) is that it sprays from any angle--even upside down. But, this means you can't clear the nozzle by turning upside down and spraying until it comes out clear. I simply twist off the head and drop it in a jar of acetone. Haven't had a clog yet and I don't waste paint or pressure by trying to clear the head. I've tried it over Sims primer and Van's wash and it works fine.

Back