What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crotch strap bracket

Trevor778

Well Known Member
Hey all, Im just about to rivet up the centre section on my 7. I have not read in the manual anywhere that references when to install the crotch strap brackets. Is it easyer to do this before riveting? I plan on using the stock straps so from what I've read on previous threads the given spacing is not a problem, but when should I install em?

Cheers, Trevor.

Now

Hi Trevor,

I'm also doing this section. It is easier to install the brackets now. Since the ribs are not yet riveted to the skin and spar, you can access the needed areas much more easily.

I've seen other builders squeeze solid rivets for these brackets on each pair of ribs, then afterward install those ribs to the spar. After that, install the other ribs. Makes things very accessible.

Good luck!

I did the brackets after the ribs were installed by drilling with an angle drill attachment and pull rivets, without any memorable trouble.

Bevan

Same as Bevan, I installed them after the ribs were installed and no problems with an angle drill. I do remember thinking it might be tough to get the height of the brackets right if they were installed first. I used the seat pan skin to push the brackets down to get a flush fit.

Done it both ways twice. Fit the brackets now. So much easier.

Cleco the two ribs to the seat pan. Clamp the brackets with 1/8" sheet of something (like balsa) sandwiched between, and assure the top and side flanges are flat on the bench. Centerline the top flanges, insert the assembly and clamp in position on the ribs and seat pan. The screw holes will be a bit wider than the centerlines, but that's fine. Assure that the rib bottom flanges sit evenly on the bench top. Drill.

John Siebold

Crotch Strap Bracket

The end fittings thicknesses on the crotch straps do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I'm going to rivet the aft bracket in and wait until I get my harness before I rivet the forward bracket in.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm going to go ahead and do it now. Terry, we gotta get together one of these days and check out each others projects. I'll give ya a call soon. You gonna be at the aero club meeting tomorrow?

Do the crotch strap mounts come standard with the fuse kits or is it an option to the standard kit? My fuse kit was purchased 9/2011, but I don't see reference to any of the parts and didn't see it as an option.

Do the crotch strap mounts come standard with the fuse kits or is it an option to the standard kit? My fuse kit was purchased 9/2011, but I don't see reference to any of the parts and didn't see it as an option.

Per Vans catalog page 57, these strap kits have been included in the 7/9 fuse kits since Dec 2008. To confirm this I got it in my fuse kit and I ordered 12/2011. It will be packaged all together in a ziplock type of bag and should be labeled "CROTCH STRAP KIT".

Last edited:
Back