What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV's = UFO's

Kevin, this is too funny! Was Bee Gee flying lead? That may explain the dome shape up front!

UFO = IQ plummeting

...yes, it's scary what the 'average' person will conclude when presented with something unusual.
Ok, these really were 'unidentified' I guess...but....
ah, streetsweepers & tricycles have strobe lights, but if it's in the sky, MUST be aliens, right?

You guys GOTTA get a PA system, some green flight suits, and wear full helmets with voice synthesizers etc. :)

as Al the Pal says in my favourite movie, 'Always', when underwhelmed by the lack of skill his student air tanker pilots are demonstrating . . . . .
" thank god we're not at war"

hmmm,...actually.....oh, never mind.

I'm usually the guy closing the tower at night, and I get about 1 UFO report a year :D

The last one was a news station asking me if I could look out and see two objects, one at 280 and the other at 050, I said "Yeah I see it. Neat! It looks celestial though."

I'm sure a story ran somewhere: "FAA authorities confirm UFO sighting"
:rolleyes:

Husker,

Too many refreshments.

I will tell you my UFO story next time I see ya.

Boomer

Husker,

Too many refreshments.

I will tell you my UFO story next time I see ya.

Boomer

I'll look forward to the story. Too bad you can't make Pine Bluff.

The refreshments are never a problem. I only worry about defective chairs!

Too late!

That video is now associated with extra-terrestrial activity.... I saw a similar flight of aircraft over the deserts of Arizona in 1995. I see video footage of that flight from time-to-time as "proof" of alien existence. People are going to believe what they want to believe.

But this whole thread reminds me of the time I was abducted by aliens. During my visit to their spacecraft, we discussed their proclivity for "probing". They told me that after 70 year's of rectal-probing the only thing they learned was that 3 in 10 individuals really don't mind! :eek:

:D

Last edited:
I met a guy recently concerning a matter unrelated to aviation and when he found out I was pilot, the first question was "have you seen any UFO's?".

That was a surprise as he seemed very intelligent but obviously was a bit taken in by UFO reports.

Haven't we all been at one time or another.

I have seen unidentified objects in flight at night that were not RV's in night formation. They were too high, too fast and truly unidentified. Falling objects generally have a descending arc, these were not descending but simply hauling butt straight ahead at a fantastic speed. No radar return with ATC but also seen and commented on by other pilots. So...UFO's do exist. We simply do not know what they are. There is an explanation but we do not know what it is so therein evolves the speculation.

As is obvious from a scientific point of view, UFO's do not come from outer space. The distances are too vast and no form of life as we understand it could make such a trip. The nearest star is over 4 light years distant and that area appears most uninhabitable.

Our earth is most unique and everything we see here is local except for an occasional incoming chunk of space rock or ice crystals. But then, if every I see a weird walking critter with bulging eyes and antennas sticking our of his head, I may change my mind on the subject. :)

...the first question was "have you seen any UFO's?".

I have seen UFO's, but they were "U" only until I could "I" it.

As pilots, we look at the sky a lot. One day I saw a UFO in a clear blue sky over an area about 15 miles south of the Twin Cities. Eagan to be exact. My initial guess was that it was one of those fancy mylar balloons they sell at fairs, the zoo etc.

I tracked it as it grew in size. I was driving towards it, and my wife was with me watching it too. Not a plane. Not a hot air balloon. Not a mylar helium balloon. What the heck?

It was getting closer to the ground. Since we were driving towards where it appeared it's ultimate destiantion would be, I started turning onto side streets because I was getting really curious.

I finally pulled over, got out of the car and watched it.

At about 500' AGL I finally recognized it for what it was. A tent.

One of those light weight 2-man bullet shaped tents, set-up, and falling (upside down) out of a clear sky. My guess is that I initially spotted it at about 4000'. I would have grabbed it, but it fell into a tree in someone's backyard.

I've always assumed in came from somewhere way out west, sucked up in a big mountain wave, and deposited hundreds of miles east.

My UFO Tale...

One summer afternoon in '82 I was flying a sailplane out of Crystalaire Gliderport in the Mojave desert, not too far from EDW. At about 9000' msl and approximately 1 mile west of my position, I watched the most absurdly shaped flying object I had ever seen. Nothing about it suggested any compliance with known aerodynamic laws. It looked, for lack of a better description, like the illegitimate offspring of a duck and a subway car, and flew about as fast as either one. No propulsive system was visible.

I was circling at the time, so lost sight of it during part of my turn. After 3 or 4 turns it had moved away and I could not pick it up any longer. For years afterward I couldn't imagine what it might have been.

In 1996, the Air Force publicly revealed the existence of Tacit Blue. Bingo. Mystery solved.

?A ?person? is smart. ?People? are dumb, panicky, and dangerous, and you know it.?
? Agent K, Men In Black

I really like the RV line of planes & hope to own one in the near future. My only question from reading all these articles & watching the "eye witness" accounts of the sightings is this. When I get my RV, where do I get the speed mods to make it fly at 300-400mph. Also, the "Hover" mod would come in handy also. I am not sure I want the silence mode as I have alway thought RV's sounded :rolleyes:

Any help or advice would be welcome so I could have the fastes RV in SW Kansas:D

Proof

To me UFO sightings by the general public prove that many do not have the inherent understanding of physics that we take for granted. We are used to seeing someone flying tangent to you with a large closure rate, then turn towards you and the rate seems to stop (as they come straight at you) then turn again. This is the basis for so many "hovering" illusions.

If you do not fly at night very often it would be good to review many of the physiological effects/tricks our eyes can play.

Nystagmus - stare at an unmoving light long enough and it seems to move back an forth.

Slightly angled clouds seem to make a horizon, etc.

I will admit to flying out over the ocean, very few boats out, and calling traffic low...my instructor called it no factor since it was a sailboat!

Also, in the mediterranean at night, flying with FLIR, we saw what we thought was a lot of traffic on a road driving straight towards us. WAY too far out to get a visual, so we kept flying closer, eventually about 30 min later(once we had radar) realized it was LAVA flowing down mount Etna!

An Idea for Team RV

I think Team RV should start making night formation passes over UFO conferences - Just high enough to be silent. Should be informative for all involved!

Hans

Once I thought I saw R2D2 (from Star Wars) at about 3000 feet. Upon circling back to investigate, it turned out to indeed be R2D2, or at least a Mylar balloon version.

The Ozark UFO conference is indeed a good fly-in destination- that's how I got there. The airport is on the top of a ridge and the runway can be a challenge to pilots from the flat places. The quality of the speakers varied considerably. One spoke about the cultural impact of UFOs with the main point being that regardless of their existence, they have made a big impact on our culture. Another spoke about techniques for evaluating alleged photographs of UFOs with regard to lighting, depth of field, etc. He said that in his many file cabinets full of photos, about 25% couldn't be proven to be fakes by his techniques. On the other side of the spectrum was the presenter who spoke about various frequent alien sightings throughout his life that he didn't remember until he was in his 50s.

There are interesting people in the Ozarks, as-is, but when you invite the folks who want to talk about UFOs, you can imagine that the crowd includes some real characters.

Great Thread!!!

This is really a great thread. I agree that formation flights should be scheduled in the region of UFO conferences. The team could add to the illusion by lead calling Landing lights on an off in various sequences. Hilarious.

Night can cause some weird visuals. My area of responsibility includes the Goldwater gunnery range in AZ. The F16's from Luke AFB, A10's from Davis Monthan and who ever else is in town to train, often light up the night. When we get a flight in the area, we have a flight corridor we must fly. With NVG's the marking flares are extremely bright and look like the are right in front of us. In reality they are quite far away. Very cool to see explosions at night was they are doing their bomb runs. Also tracer fire!!! Once had an F16 go over us at about 500 feet. The AB is very bright when it is that close. Fun, fun stuff.

Can't wait to hear the next RV UFO fly in!!!!

Back