What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air brush gun, zinc phosphate/chromate, prop paint

Tim Lewis

Well Known Member
My experience with Tempo (ACS) zinc phosphate and prop paint cans is that the spray cans become useless after one or two uses. I mostly use them every couple of years to paint a small area of prop face repair after filing out nicks. Despite clearing the nozzle (can inverted) after use, I seem to usually find the can won't work the next time I need it.

So I'm thinking of switching to an air brush approach. I'm looking for ideas on buying a decent quality air brush (I have a compressor in the hangar, so I can use shop air), and a source of zinc chromate or zinc phosphate primer (liquid, not spray can), and a source of liquid flat black paint for the prop face (to replace what I currently use, Tempo's "Flat Black Epoxy").

I have had some success in taking the tip off and soaking in solvent immediately afterwards.

Having said that, yes, I would agree it is time to move away from the rattle can approach. Small spray rigs are so easy to set up and use anymore and the results from using a mixed and compressor sprayed product far exceeds anything you can get out of a can. I would even suggest moving away from zinc chromate to a catalyzed epoxy primer like poly fiber offers or anything similar.

I have no suggestions on which type of gun other than to suggest that I think they are all pretty good anymore. Pretty low technology in those things.

Paint gun

I have had some success in taking the tip off and soaking in solvent immediately afterwards.

Having said that, yes, I would agree it is time to move away from the rattle can approach. Small spray rigs are so easy to set up and use anymore and the results from using a mixed and compressor sprayed product far exceeds anything you can get out of a can. I would even suggest moving away from zinc chromate to a catalyzed epoxy primer like poly fiber offers or anything similar.

I have no suggestions on which type of gun other than to suggest that I think they are all pretty good anymore. Pretty low technology in those things.

Lots of good guns on the market but one really suprised me. I heard good reviews on the Harbor Freight Black Widow HTE. It's a heck of a paint gun for the price. They even sell the adapter to use my 3M PPS cups. I think my poor DeVilbiss just earned a spot on the shelf.

Grex was exhibiting this year at Oshkosh so I stopped by on Monday to take a look at the airbrush they were offering, spent about 20 minutes talking with the rep and demo’d the MF.TS Micro Spray Gun Set.
I was impressed with the versatility as it could function as an airbrush with the small cap type paint supply and had the ability to use larger paint supply container for bigger jobs. The paint supply containers also swivel allowing it to keep into confined areas.
After researching the device on the internet, I returned later in the week and made the purchase. I’m sure I could have found it cheaper on the internet but I was interested in having someone I could call if I had problems.
The Rep offered his card and phone number and said to call with any questions.
The gun comes with a .5mm nozzle but .3mm and .7mm are available.
So far I have only sprayed water based paint on a non aviation project with good results but it is a giant step up from what I have.

http://grexusa.com/grexairbrush/products.php5?id=MF.TS

Attachments

• IMG_3486.jpg
    IMG_3486.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 154
Like you, I got tired of cans and mixing and cleaning larger paint guns. I got an Iwata airbrush and mixed primer and top coats for several small area touchups. They worked well, mixing the epoxy/urethane with small spoons and eyedroppers. Not for large areas, and not cheap, but quite handy and uses the proper coatings.

Preval Sprayers

I have used a ton of Preval sprayers over the years, and we had them in "free-stock" when I worked for a major airline to use as primer and touch-up guns. I also primed some of my RV-4 parts with them. Simple screw on bottle and aerosol top/spray nozzle. Can be cleaned with a burst of MEK and re-used until the aerosol is gone. Amazon sells them if you cant find locally.

Had the same result with both the black and white Tempo paint spray cans.
Have switched to Rustoleum Roll Bar and Chassis paint in satin black.
Been using the same can for a few years now.
Don't see any glare off the prop due to using satin rather than flat black.

Thanks for sharing that experience. I tested several cans of Rustoleum I've had for years, and my experience lined up with yours - they still work fine. So I'm switching to Rustoleum. I have several cans of Rustoleum flat black, and my local Home Depot has a dark green Automotive primer that contains zinc phosphate.

Back