What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Black Widow HVLP HTE

wirejock

Well Known Member
I am really diggin' this Harbor Fright Black Widow HVLP HTE gun. These parts were the first big job done with it.
24oz of Kirker EnduroPrime 2K epoxy. 2 coats 1 hour apart. 24 hour cure
Wet sand 400
24oz of Kirker UltraGlo Single Stage Urethane. 3 coats one hour apart.
Both were reduced with Kirker slow speed by 12% plus Kirker fish eye drops. Calculator is on my blog.
Yes, I know. Black is so bad, but it's my airplane.
Anyway, the Black Widow is awesome. I got it dialed in and it sprayed so nice. It's a copy of a SATA 5000. SATA parts are supposed to work. I'll let you know. I am ordering a air fitting for it. I don't like the swivel.
3M PPS cups work great with the HF adapter.
Cut & buff should take care of some minor issues.
20221022_150931.jpg

I would like to try one out someday.

ETA. - Nothing wrong with black. Hides oil leaks really well :)

That seems like a nice gun and the online reviews on the HF website are all positive.

How do you find having the regulator and filter mounted directly on the gun? Not too awkward? For mine, I hang the mini reg from a clip on my belt at my side and then run a 1m hose to the gun. It keeps the gun light but still gives good control of air pressure at the end of the line.

I second the good review

I have also been using the Black Widow HTE to shoot Stewart Systems paints. I also think it does a really good job. I am using the 3M disposable cups. I have a Devilbiss FLG3 FinishLine gun, and the 3M PPS gun. I think the Black Widow is my favorite. - Jason

That seems like a nice gun and the online reviews on the HF website are all positive.

How do you find having the regulator and filter mounted directly on the gun? Not too awkward? For mine, I hang the mini reg from a clip on my belt at my side and then run a 1m hose to the gun. It keeps the gun light but still gives good control of air pressure at the end of the line.

I've used guns that way for so long I don't even notice. Short pigtail is a great option too. I unplug a lot so it's convenient to place the gun in a holder, hang the hose and walk freely.

Those look great. What compressor do you use for painting?

It's an old 5hp single stage 20 gallon 220 craftsman. Honestly the compressor doesn't cycle anywhere near as often with the Black Widow. These parts are more like short sessions. Spray a couple. Move and set up. Spray. If I sprayed a vehicle, a bigger compressor would be required because the session would exceed capability.

One of dangers of having a Harbor Freight only 3 miles away is that it’s only 3 miles away. I dropped in to have a look at the Black Widow spray gun. Looked nice but at $240 I had to pass. It was hard to do as I have a spray gun problem.

Black

One of dangers of having a Harbor Freight only 3 miles away is that it’s only 3 miles away. I dropped in to have a look at the Black Widow spray gun. Looked nice but at $240 I had to pass. It was hard to do as I have a spray gun problem.

Yes. Pricey but a SATA 5000 is a lot more ($800+). The club thing will get you a discount. I got lucky and bought mine before they changed to the club and got it for $179, but O would pay $240 for a gun this good. It's far better than my FLG.
That said, used high end guns can be found. I would look around. The good guns can be rebuilt and perform like new. SATA, Iwatta, etc.

Any concerns about black epoxy parts getting warm, sitting in the sun?

Not really. I've seen a lot of airplanes with black painted fiberglass parts baking in the sun and quite a few black corvettes baking in the sun. I sprayed two coats of epoxy primer and three coats of single stage urethane.

Last edited:
Yes. Pricey but a SATA 5000 is a lot more ($800+). The club thing will get you a discount. I got lucky and bought mine before they changed to the club and got it for $179, but O would pay $240 for a gun this good. It's far better than my FLG.
That said, used high end guns can be found. I would look around. The good guns can be rebuilt and perform like new. SATA, Iwatta, etc.

Not really. I've seen a lot of airplanes with black painted fiberglass parts baking in the sun and quite a few black corvettes baking in the sun. I sprayed two coats of epoxy primer and three coats of single stage urethane.

I’m always on the lookout for a good deal on a spray gun. It’s a weakness. I have more than I will ever need or use.

Many years ago I painted an RV-7 for a guy that was two tone black and white with black on top. Everyone around said he would hate it and it would be hot. Especially in the Texas summer heat. He reported back that the color was a non issue as the greenhouse he was sitting in is where all the heat came from.

Does the Black Widow come with multiple tip sizes? I'm using a Devilbiss FLG3, which I like just fine, but it's definitely getting a little on the old side. I'm okay shooting primer with it (and appreciate having multiple tips for it so shooting epoxy vs other primers is an easy switch), but I'll either have to do some rebuild or consider a different gun for shooting the final paint on the plane. I've heard the Black Widow does a fantastic job at atomization.

Parts

Does the Black Widow come with multiple tip sizes? I'm using a Devilbiss FLG3, which I like just fine, but it's definitely getting a little on the old side. I'm okay shooting primer with it (and appreciate having multiple tips for it so shooting epoxy vs other primers is an easy switch), but I'll either have to do some rebuild or consider a different gun for shooting the final paint on the plane. I've heard the Black Widow does a fantastic job at atomization.

I actually prefer the 1.3 that comes with it. Very few parts available from Harbor Freight but I am told it's such an accurate copy, the SATA 5000 parts will fit.
https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/parts/P56153.pdf

We're learning how to paint now ... my conclusion is that an experienced painter with a $50 gun will likely get better results than a new painter with a $1000 gun :p:p:p

HVLP vs HTE

To the OP:

Thanks for the update! I have enjoyed following your build and have learned so much. I appreciate your efforts.

I looked at these guns and and couldn't figure out the difference between the two models... HVLP vs HTE. Goodling didn't help much. Can you or someone explain the differences? Is one likely easier to use, and is one better for use with a marginal compressor?

Thanks in advance...

Coupon

Received today.

Regards,

Attachments

• 671D44CA-9270-4D17-880F-172DA57BC877.jpg
    671D44CA-9270-4D17-880F-172DA57BC877.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 101
To the OP:

Thanks for the update! I have enjoyed following your build and have learned so much. I appreciate your efforts.

I looked at these guns and and couldn't figure out the difference between the two models... HVLP vs HTE. Goodling didn't help much. Can you or someone explain the differences? Is one likely easier to use, and is one better for use with a marginal compressor?

Thanks in advance...

I would like to know this myself.

I did buy the HVLP version.

It came with a 1.7 tip so it worked very well with high solids primer.

HF sells a 1.3 tip for this version , available online only.

I have used the guy to spay Nason single stage 2K paint. I really like it.

Any one know if the HTE tip parts work to make a HPLV gun a HTE or is there more to it inside the gun?

To the OP:

Thanks in advance...

"HTE stands for High Transfer Efficiency These are different from HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) as HTE is going to use more air but put your material down nicer than an hvlp gun"
Compared to my FLG, it seems to use less air. Go figure.

I would like to know this myself.

I did buy the HVLP version.

It came with a 1.7 tip so it worked very well with high solids primer.

HF sells a 1.3 tip for this version , available online only.

I have used the guy to spay Nason single stage 2K paint. I really like it.

Any one know if the HTE tip parts work to make a HPLV gun a HTE or is there more to it inside the gun?

I don't know but suspect the parts are different.
Look at the diagram for the SATA 5000. The HTE is exactly the same. Compare to your HVLP and let us know please.

Last edited:
Experience

We're learning how to paint now ... my conclusion is that an experienced painter with a $50 gun will likely get better results than a new painter with a $1000 gun :p:p:p

That much is certain. I'm no expert but my skills have improved. I can appreciate the difference between a cheap gun and a good one.

How would you rate the the finish on the gun? Would feel ok letting the gun body soak in thinner over a weekend? Would you disassemble and strip the body if needed? I have a Sharpe Finex 300 that started to lose its finish the first time I did a detailed cleaning of it.

Finish

How would you rate the the finish on the gun? Would feel ok letting the gun body soak in thinner over a weekend? Would you disassemble and strip the body if needed? I have a Sharpe Finex 300 that started to lose its finish the first time I did a detailed cleaning of it.

Not sure about soaking it. It might be ok on the metal, but it's not good for all the seals. It seems to have a really hard finish. I think it may be anodized. I strip it and clean it with acetone every use. I learned a lesson long ago with my FLG. Paint builds up inside the tip and paint channel of spray guns if not immediately removed. Some paints start curing right inside the gun pretty fast. I sprayed a really ugly paint job once so I stripped the gun and pulled a wad of paint out of the tip shaped like a big doughnut. It took hours to get that gun clean.
I prefer to strip and clean after each session.
I remove the nozzle/tip components and pull the needle and adjstment screw. The rest of the gun only sees clean air. The paint channel is easy to clean with q-tips and an acid brush. The outside of the gun can be wiped clean with acetone. All the other parts go into a can with acetone. Scrub them clean. Check all the orfices. Reassemble. Blow some acetone through it. Install a fresh 3M PPS cup. Set flow and fan controls back where they belong and it's ready for next use. Still looks brand new after quite a few uses.

"HTE stands for High Transfer Efficiency These are different from HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) as HTE is going to use more air but put your material down nicer than an hvlp gun"
Compared to my FLG, it seems to use less air. Go figure

This is what I referred to as a compliant gun. They use the old full atomization method but have other tweaks to improve the transfer efficiency to the point that it meets the EPA regs for transfer efficiency; hence compliant. They are most beneficial with clear coat. Lays it down with way less orange peel than the HVLP guns, however, not as efficient as the better HVLP guns. More material lost to overspray. They use a higher pressure, but actually use less air volume than HVLP guns. HVLP does fine with the thinner paints, but tends to struggle with clear coat.

Larry

Last edited:
I was at the HF store store today the HPLV and HTE guns are exactly the same except for the nozzle at least as far as I can see. I could not unscrew the nozzle in the store. I think there is slight difference in the black plastic piece behind the nozzle.

Attachments

• gun7.jpg
    gun7.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 74
  • gun6.jpg
    gun6.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 104
Here is more from my HPLV with the 1.4 nozzle/tip.

Attachments

• gun5.jpg
    gun5.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 81
  • gun4.jpg
    gun4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 47
  • gun3.jpg
    gun3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 63
  • gun2.jpg
    gun2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 103
  • gun1.jpg
    gun1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 81
Can some one post a image of the HTE with the nozzle removed like the 3rd from the left ? If the channels look the same I suspect the nozzles might be interchangeable( can covert the HTE to HVLP )

Photos

Can some one post a image of the HTE with the nozzle removed like the 3rd from the left ? If the channels look the same I suspect the nozzles might be interchangeable( can covert the HTE to HVLP )

Photos of each side. HTE is 33psi.
20221025_204502.jpg

20221025_204349.jpg

A different nozzle/cap will also likely require a different needle.

When I inquired about getting another size nozzle and needle for a (Star S770) gun the cost for the few parts was about the same as for an entire new gun! Go figure!

Parts

A different nozzle/cap will also likely require a different needle.

When I inquired about getting another size nozzle and needle for a (Star S770) gun the cost for the few parts was about the same as for an entire new gun! Go figure!

HF does sell a few parts but not the Air Distribution Ring. That would have to be purchased from SATA dealer andnprobably cost more than a new gun.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3P19YpphMOg5HZE3gTpgcW

All it takes to get the old paint off is $$$ and lot’s of stripper, and a ton of elbow grease. Enjoy or not. Lol

RD

Back