What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing new ADAHRS bracket in tail...

MacCool

Well Known Member
I'm installing a new PFD (AFS 5400) and it needs a new ADAHRS installation. I have an OP-60 bracket coming from Van's...it installs on the first tailcone bulkhead.

Anybody done this on a completed RV 7, 8, or 9? Looks like wedging myself back there is the only option. Other than a right-angle drill, any other tips or tricks to minimize the installation pain?

attachment is from Van's installation sheet.

Attachments

• adhars.PNG
    adhars.PNG
    877.4 KB · Views: 223
Installing ADAHRS in RV14 tail with Vans F-00150 bracket

Has anyone installed the ADAHRS in the RV14 tail? have you used the Van's F-00150 bracket?

That OP-60 bracket ended up working great for my RV-9A. Fit perfecty and ended up working great in my airplane relative to the final installation. I've not seen any indication that it will work in an RV-14.

I'm installing a new PFD (AFS 5400) and it needs a new ADAHRS installation. I have an OP-60 bracket coming from Van's...it installs on the first tailcone bulkhead.

Anybody done this on a completed RV 7, 8, or 9? Looks like wedging myself back there is the only option. Other than a right-angle drill, any other tips or tricks to minimize the installation pain?

attachment is from Van's installation sheet.

I am hoping to do this soon myself. Right now my bracket is on backorder.

Other options?
I know some that made a bracket that fit the ADAHRS inside the verticle stab fairing. They said it worked great including the compass.
Looks like some steel bolts are close by in this area. That worries me.
It would easy to work on.

Thanks

I am hoping to do this soon myself. Right now my bracket is on backorder.

Other options?
I know some that made a bracket that fit the ADAHRS inside the verticle stab fairing. They said it worked great including the compass.
Looks like some steel bolts are close by in this area. That worries me.
It would easy to work on.

Thanks
Coincidentally, just the other day during hangar cleaning, I noticed that I happen to have an extra OP-60 bracket (F-00149 for RV-7/9) new-in-box. If it would be helpful I'd be happy to send it off for whatever Van's gets for it plus shipping.

I've found that location to work well. It wasn't that hard to access that part of the tail. Only hiccup was calibrating the compass. I couldn't get it to calibrate. A phone call to Rob Hickman, amazingly while I was sitting on the compass rose -- he reminded me to close my (slider) canopy:eek: . Problem solved.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/OP60-01.pdf

Coincidentally, just the other day during hangar cleaning, I noticed that I happen to have an extra OP-60 bracket (F-00149 for RV-7/9) new-in-box. If it would be helpful I'd be happy to send it off for whatever Van's gets for it plus shipping.

I've found that location to work well. It wasn't that hard to access that part of the tail. Only hiccup was calibrating the compass. I couldn't get it to calibrate. A phone call to Rob Hickman, amazingly while I was sitting on the compass rose -- he reminded me to close my (slider) canopy:eek: . Problem solved.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/OP60-01.pdf

This back order just go shipped this morning I appreciate the offer.

Max

Use plywood on ribs for install

I put one in that spot last year when I replaced my round dial panel with dual AFS screens. Two ADAHRS. Put the OAT sensors under the tail and added static ports on each side at the back. Made it easier to route all the tubing to the ADAHRS.
I supported the tail at one of the ribs with a sawhorse and padding and cut a piece of plywood to fit inside so I could kneel or lie on it to work. Not comfortable but doable.

Attachments

• OAT sensor location.jpg
    OAT sensor location.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 125
  • ADAHRS with connections.jpg
    ADAHRS with connections.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Back