What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Working inside RV-8A with no engine?

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
I'm doing an overhaul so my engine is out of the plane. It is now squating on an office chair near the end of the tail. Does anyone have a trick on how to set it up for me to be able to still crawl inside the cockpit and work on other things while I wait for the engine? I don't want to damage the tail section with unnecessary weight/stress. Thanks.

Probably the second from last bulkhead. Or better yet 1/2 way between the last 2 bulkheads with a padded board spanning them.

On my 8 , I rest the tail wheel stinger on the saw horse and secured it. Do you have the tie down bolt installed on your 8A? You can rest it on the saw horse and securely tie the tie down ring to the saw horse and keep it secured with a strap

I didn't know if using the eye ring on the tail was an option, I could use that like you would with loading a cargo aircraft with a threaded support jack under the tail. If that's fair game I would have a rigid option to attach to it.

Mel's suggested method has worked well for me, using a work stand that has height adjustible legs. I've crawled in there quite a few (too many) times without any problems.

Attachments

• 20221020_144300.jpg
    20221020_144300.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 188
Pipe Stand

I install the rear tie-down eyebolt and position a pipe stand under it. Inexpensive and works great!

Ron B.

Back