What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side panels

I would appreciate help/pictures of what people are doing for side panels and storage compartments in them. I want some storage, but would like to do some aerobatics, so I don't want things getting loose. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

My -4

I built very light .020" aluminum side panels for my -4, particularly to cover all the control cables, wiring and mechanical exposures to mitigate any fouling by passengers and loose objects.Also, armrests where a requirement. My wife has requested simple storage for the back, and I plan to add some elastic netted or leather pockets for sunglasses, ect. I have a simple centered "glovebox" for my phone and sunglasses in a center panel. I kept the design very simple and snag proof, as I don't like cluttered interiors.

Attachments

• Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 143
  • front seat.jpg
    front seat.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 172
  • rear seat.jpg
    rear seat.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 141
Removed panels

Her is a shot of the R/H panels removed. 2panels per side, a FWD and AFT. I made small attach angles and rivet to floor and along side skin. If your fitting to a completed plane, the side skin angles could be bonded with Proseal and a little tab at the frames instead of through the skin. These panels are super light but still plenty strong.

Attachments

• Sidewalls.jpg
    Sidewalls.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Sidewall mounting.jpg
    Sidewall mounting.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 139
Back