What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YLL on Tour… Europe - North America - Europe by RV-6.9

Dan 57

Well Known Member
Well, the story is in the title already, the rest in this FREE PDF BLOOK:
https://www.aerofun.ch/yll-on-tour....html

cover-375.jpg

Tidbits:
Timeframe: June 20 until August 4, 2022
Duration: 46 days
Hours as flown: 132:23
Landings: 63 (as many as take-offs)
Distance flown: 19’449nm (36’020 km)
Average speed: 143.9kts (267 kmh)
Total fuel used 3733 liters (986 USG)
Average fuel usage 28.2l/h (7.45 G/h)
Lowest landing: Furnace Creek, Death Valley CA @ -210ft
Highest landing: Leadville-Lake, CO @ 9934ft
Longest overwater crossing: Wick (Scotland) - Akureyri (Iceland) in 5:07, of which only ca 3:30 over water

map-925.jpg

That PDF is worthy of this amazing voyage, Dan. You forgot to include the number of fantastic pictures you took along the way - I'm guessing 1000s!

Hi Dan,

Awesome looking trip !!!
I recall you talking about it.

I just downloaded your book, will read it with pleasure, i'm certain.
Cheers

I downloaded and started reading your pdf. I´m at the very beginning and it surely will fill the coming shorter days reading it in full. Well done...

Funny thing Hermann, just finished rereading your very nice 2019 tour book. It sure was another inspirational asset :)

And a look at your statistics shows quite a few similarities, the most striking, you vs me:
- Total flight time 132:39 / 132:23 (yes, only 16 minutes on quite different routes)
- Number of takeoffs 81 / 63 (both with the same amount of landings ;))
- Average sector length 1:38 / 2:06
- Total fuel used 4330 / 3733 (liters)
- Consumption 32.6 / 28.2 (l/h)

No, no competition here, just some interesting stuff :D

Thank you

Hi Dan - I enjoyed talking with you at OSH this year. Thank you for the link to your site and the write up about your trip.

Funny thing Hermann, just finished rereading your very nice 2019 tour book. It sure was another inspirational asset :)

And a look at your statistics shows quite a few similarities, the most striking, you vs me:
- Total flight time 132:39 / 132:23 (yes, only 16 minutes on quite different routes)
- Number of takeoffs 81 / 63 (both with the same amount of landings ;))
- Average sector length 1:38 / 2:06
- Total fuel used 4330 / 3733 (liters)
- Consumption 32.6 / 28.2 (l/h)

No, no competition here, just some interesting stuff :D

Yes - same flight time. I remember it was very intense during six weeks - but pure fun!!

It was a pleasure meeting you under the Pavillion

The Homebuilt Pavilion sure was the highlight of AirVenture for me. You could walk in anytime and meet old or new friends :)

RV6.9???

Well, the story is in the title already, the rest in this FREE PDF BLOOK:
https://www.aerofun.ch/yll-on-tour....html

cover-375.jpg

Tidbits:
Timeframe: June 20 until August 4, 2022
Duration: 46 days
Hours as flown: 132:23
Landings: 63 (as many as take-offs)
Distance flown: 19’449nm (36’020 km)
Average speed: 143.9kts (267 kmh)
Total fuel used 3733 liters (986 USG)
Average fuel usage 28.2l/h (7.45 G/h)
Lowest landing: Furnace Creek, Death Valley CA @ -210ft
Highest landing: Leadville-Lake, CO @ 9934ft
Longest overwater crossing: Wick (Scotland) - Akureyri (Iceland) in 5:07, of which only ca 3:30 over water

map-925.jpg

Apologies if I missed it - but can you define an RV6.9?

Page 3 of his blook

Amalgamation of Blog & book
Oops - sorry , wrong answer. Page 357 explains what you are asking.

Last edited:
Great writeup Dan, what a brave adventure!
Does your ship have autopilot now or did you hand fly all the way?

Great job on book!

Dan

I started reading your book this morning. Great job! I am looking forward to all of it. I felt chills picturing what you were describing, and then, seeing the photos. Not a journey for me but glad you enlightened me as to what is possible!

Thank you.

Cheers,
Shawn

Hey Shawn, thanks for that :)
On the other hand, I will sure take no responsibility on any delay incurred on your very own project :D

PS
Had you started 6 months before, I’d sure have stopped by and helped you wiggle those wings out ;)

Just came across your saga this afternoon and the missus is a bit cross with me by now for neglecting her all evening.

Thank you for sharing your... errr... awetastic trip with us Dan!! Loved every minute of the read. And kicking myself now for not following through with a previous plan that I had before buying my Fly Baby in the Vancouver area. Should have used it for a month or so of sightseeing there and the western US, before stuffing it in a Europe-bound shipping container. (Still, would have missed Greenland regardless).

Again, thank you! And say hi to Mickey for me :)

Hans

Hi Hans

Thanks for your feedback and apologies to your wife ;)

Should have used it for a month or so of sightseeing there and the western US
Well, I once more experienced the GA US "freedom" and hospitality during the Tour. Everything is so easy, say natural... as in using an automobile. And the sights and vastness, as I tried to document, just awesome :D
On the same subject, if I were some 20 years younger, I'd probably by an RV somewhere in the US, leave it there for my occasional use, and share it with interested EU parties...

PS
Mickey is lurking here for sure :)

Hmmm, that's not such a bad idea actually.... Forget about that 20-years-younger thing and go for it ;)

(And hi Mickey, been working on your engine recently....)

Great trip and photos. Thank you for all the effort you put into telling the story to us. A great inspiration.
Next time you come to Washington state or North Idaho call me. I'll show you some beautiful back country flying. You don't have to buy an airplane here to see the country.
Steve 509-991-8915

Hi Cloudboy (sure love the handle :)… nothing as boring as blue skies)
Thanks for the compliment and offer, sure appreciate.
It was a once in a lifetime Tour, and I’m pretty sure it ain’t gonna happen another time… maybe in another life?

You guys take care :cool:

Hi Cloudboy (sure love the handle :)… nothing as boring as blue skies)
Thanks for the compliment and offer, sure appreciate.
It was a once in a lifetime Tour, and I’m pretty sure it ain’t gonna happen another time… maybe in another life?

You guys take care :cool:

Well, you can always have mine. Sooner then later she will be with new motor and a little wheelie at the back. The training is finally over :D

swimming_hole_-_1.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, I've decided to to YouTube 2 1/2 out of the 3 movies which made for the success of the presentations I've been honoured to give to various associations around here.

The initial is just a short intro, departure day, showing some the capabilities of the embarked cams (one Insta360 in the cockpit (also recorded the comms), another Insta360 on the VS, and a Ghost below the left wing).

https://youtu.be/rAatkebRK9U

The second takes us for the westbound crossing, Wick - Akureyri, Akureyri - Kulusuk, Ilulissat - Iqaluit.

https://youtu.be/BTaDW-hoC-8

The third and last is the fabulous flight from Kangerlussuaq to Ililissat, chasing icebergs around Disko Bay. Unfortunately the vid has been "blocked in 1 territory" by YT due to one of soundtrack, just not sure which one...

https://youtu.be/FekxBRJGwKY

The 3rd movie shown during my presentation, touring Alaska to Louisiana, into Oshkosh and back to Iqaluit will not be publicised for the moment...

I was waiting impatiently for these videos. Very nice footage and edtiting. Obviously you had some bad weather recentlty and so the time to do the editing!

Dan,

(1) Thank you for an excellent write-up, which must've taken a gazillion hours to put together, for our enjoyment.
(2) For the few of us that are planning extended, looooong range trips, I especially appreciate the added appendices, documenting details of equipment and other necessary components. Also, good information to glean some critical info (ie - fuel) on various stops.
(3) Your videos are down, so let us know when you get them back up. However, your cohort (Hermann) has filled the gap with his superb videos!
(4) Finally, your parting comment on Airventure (Oshkosh) was, IMO, perfect. ;)

Thanks again,
Paul

Dan,

(1) Thank you for an excellent write-up, which must've taken a gazillion hours to put together, for our enjoyment.
(2) For the few of us that are planning extended, looooong range trips, I especially appreciate the added appendices, documenting details of equipment and other necessary components. Also, good information to glean some critical info (ie - fuel) on various stops.
(3) Your videos are down, so let us know when you get them back up. However, your cohort (Hermann) has filled the gap with his superb videos!
(4) Finally, your parting comment on Airventure (Oshkosh) was, IMO, perfect. ;)

Thanks again,
Paul
Thanks for your kind words Paul.
Yes Hermann is my cohort and friend since we usually meet thru the flying season, and he is only like 40 minutes flying away from my place. As you say, his videos are superb as he made best use of his technical equipment, and the possibilities given by a bubble canopy.
I've given a few presentations about the Tour, and been surprisingly asked to give yet another one end of March. Since those videos are the meat of said presentation, I took them down, but will upload them again afterwards, and publish the new links here.

Back