What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans: How Far Ahead do You Read

MJarreau

Well Known Member
How far ahead do you read in the plans? For example, our EMP kit is somewhat complete. The top skins are not riveted. Should we look far ahead to start doing things like installing push rods, hardware, and wire, or should we simply wait.... We have read through the Fuse kit at this point.

Thanks,
Mike

EDIT: Should have mentioned that mentally build as I review the plans. So, I've mentally built the wings 3 times and the fuse 1. I make and use drawings for my day job (not mechanical, though), so I've not had problems learning that. Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
I built a -8. If I had it to do again I would read and highlight all the notes on the drawings. The majority of my assembly mistakes were related to not heading the information in them.
Mike

Airplanes are complicated things. Might be worth reading ahead and trying to find answers to the questions you come up with. At least have the thumb drive plans so that you can read about sections beyond where you currently are.

It's worth it.

Dave

As much as you can tolerate

Van's plans are great. But as in any complex routine there is room for sequencing conflicts. Knowing what you will need to do later will definitely help you decide when to do things a little differently.

Inevitably somewhere in the build you will get yourself painted into a corner. The more you read ahead the less impactful that will be.

Highlight

Highlighting notes and small details on the drawings is a great idea. You'll gain familiarity with the drawings (down to the page number) and your sub conscious will start to put the project together. At least for me, visually is how I think about the assembly.

Reading the instructions have some value but without the drawings it didn't work!

One way or another you need to be able to visualize your end product.

Cheers

off script

For my 9A, the farther I got in the build, the more off script I went. The plan notes are very important, the text is great, but had to be modified for the changes.
So i only read a few chapters ahead, but made sure I read every note on the plans.

For the 10, 12 and 14, I think one has to be diligent reading the plans; much more complete and the design is up to date with what we all are doing today.

VAF Search

Read both manual and plans. I made far fewer mistakes after I started running a VAF Search for the part numbers. Don't make other builder's mistakes. :D

Read both manual and plans. I made far fewer mistakes after I started running a VAF Search for the part numbers. Don't make other builder's mistakes. :D

This has helped me a lot too. Looking at others' builder's logs helps put everything together in my head. I'll read the next section, gain an understanding of what's going to happen, research VAF and builder's logs for misunderstandings, gotchas, better ideas, etc.

Read as much a head as you can digest on one sitting then do it again till you have read the entire manual. You won't absorb it all but it will give you the big picture of the build.

Well, ....there's a little light pre-reading, because the wife's watching QVC again.

Then there's the "I gotta understand this part" hard study. Plus hours of looking at mykitlog.com to see how others did it, just incase I missed something.

And, there's also, the "is there anything that would be harder to do after I complete this next step that I could get away with doing now?" kind of reading ahead.

Basically, I've read and re-read, plus studied the drawings over and over again. And, I still missed the best time do, ...several things.

Missed That One

Ken,

I've done most of what you said but just learned a big one: Read ahead to figure out what might be hard later but easy now.

It seems so simple, but my grasp of the obvious ....

Thank you for htis thought!

Mike

Ken,

I've done most of what you said but just learned a big one: Read ahead to figure out what might be hard later but easy now.

It seems so simple, but my grasp of the obvious ....

Thank you for htis thought!

Mike

A friend of mine, who chides me about not spending enough time in the shop, advised me one time to use time at night to research and plan out shop sessions. That way all the time in the shop should be quality build time. His opinion is that all the hours spent reading and researching doesn't count as build time.

I've never been able to work that way. I constantly find my self jumping on the computer to look for pictures of other builds, or research this or that part.

For example, yesterday I was looking at a couple of screws that protruded into the forward baggage compartment, and visualizing snagging something on them. I went looking online for nylon cap nuts. Found exactly what I wanted on Grainger.

I think the moral of the story is you try what other's have done. But, in the end some things you just have to do what works for you.

---EDIT----

I have to admit, I'm also a long-long-long term builder. There are guys out there who came to look at my project, then ordered kits, and are now flying. I'm still a long way away from my first flight.

Last edited:
Kanban

My head hurt trying to keep track of all the gotchas and other advice I'd read on VAF and builders' logs. When I started the fuselage I decided I needed a kanban board. The physical kanban board became overwhelmed in about three days, so now I'm using Trello (it's free!)--with separate boards for In progress, Parked, Not started, and Operation.

Back