What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beaten, battered and busted

PatMac

Long awaited Feb2021 order delivered.... a bit beaten, battered and busted but contents seem okay....
The journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step.. ;)

Update: Opened crate and found some more damage. Video posted below shows one of the panels either crushed, dropped or.....

Attachments

• RVdelivery.jpg
    RVdelivery.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Looks like it was on a truck that was in a wreck.

Van's packs things well... I hope the parts are indeed okay.

Dave

did they win?

I wonder if the shipping team won the prize for the most damage to the box without destroying contents?

Not what I wanted to see.

My finishing and FWL fwd kit is sitting somewhere in Vancouver and is stranded due to the road closures from the flooding in the Fraser Valley. Hopefully they have the crate in a dry warehouse.

Video of some of the damage...

Video of some of the damage from shipping here:

Here are a few photos too...

Following up w/ shipper...but any additional reco's appreciated...

Attachments

• RVDamage2.jpg
    RVDamage2.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 374
  • RVDamage3.jpg
    RVDamage3.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
This should buff out...lol

Most every panel is damaged. Longs bent, etc Awaiting replacements. Greg and his team are great. Shipper sucks.

Attachments

• RvDamage4.jpg
    RvDamage4.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 274
I sure wish Vans would use drywall screws on the battens. The staples just pop out when they push or pry on them with the forks. The bottom battens are almost always sheared off from sliding the crate over a bump/seam/ridge.

Clarity !

"Greg and his team are great. Shipper sucks" (nonsense)
The Shipper is either Vans or the Vans Customer. (The one paying) The Carrier is providing the transportation and is responsible for the damages. The crating looks superb, unfortunately the damage appears to be caused by poor forklift operating. I hope the Bill of Lading was marked: GOODS RECEIVED DAMAGED. Then you can discuss who pays for replacements.

Most every panel is damaged. Longs bent, etc Awaiting replacements. Greg and his team are great. Shipper sucks.

Just call Vans today. They are usually pretty good about addressing damage and will take care of it for you. They have more leverage because they are the carrier’s client. If the carrier doesn’t treat Vans right, they risk losing Vans business.

"Greg and his team are great. Shipper sucks" (nonsense)
The Shipper is either Vans or the Vans Customer. (The one paying) The Carrier is providing the transportation and is responsible for the damages. The crating looks superb, unfortunately the damage appears to be caused by poor forklift operating. I hope the Bill of Lading was marked: GOODS RECEIVED DAMAGED. Then you can discuss who pays for replacements.

I'm guessing just about everyone understands what OP meant by "shipper". And that OP agrees with just about everyone that Vans does a great job packing/crating kits. Semantic errors aside, meaning is clear, which is what matters....

I usually have LTL crates labeled for terminal delivery. Which means they call me when it gets to the local freight terminal so I can go pick it up with a trailer. This helps my schedule as I don't have to wait around on a certain day until the truck arrives, and sometimes they don't. I have also found that most freight damage happens on the local delivery route where the local delivery truck goes to multiple drop off locations prior to getting to your address. At every prior stop somebody has to sort out and handle the freight to get to their stuff with various levels of professionalism by the other customers. If your stuff gets banged up a little at an intermediate stop so be it. Similar to what you see at a big box home improvement store where prior customers throw hardware around where it doesn't belong because they only care about what they want with no consideration for the next guy. Terminal delivery also can save a few bucks on the freight bill and any drop gate service. Most importantly it allows me to inspect the delivery before signing off the bill of lading. The carrier will wave a bill of lading in your face up front trying to get a signature before you even see your shipment but I always ask to inspect the shipment prior to signature. If I don't like what I see I refuse the shipment and then notify the shipping party, which keeps me out of the loop with respect to liability. When a shipment gets refused the carrier has to send it back to the shipper at no cost to the recipient. This also gives you more of a leg to stand on if things get sticky. Having Vans as a shipper removes almost all chance of such stickiness.

Update

Greg and his team stepped right up and are working on replacement parts as I type.
This is my first deal w Vans and I have to say, I am more than impressed. In todays world, the customer is lucky to get any kind of response from a corporation, much less same day.... Vans is the simply amazing.

Very impressed and now even more so, a customer for life.

Well, someone has to ask....

I would like to know which company was the carrier...Over my 2 builds, I have had the best luck with ABF and XPO, and the worse luck with Old Dominion. I suppose any company could have occasional problems, but as I just coughed up the 40K for my next power plant kit that is sitting at Van's, I would like to know how closely I need to inspect the impending delivery...and how much to worry!....

Last edited:
Back