What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building a Project: picking up where they left off.

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I sold my original 8 as a project, and it's now flying. Now, I'm working to complete another project I purchased when I realized the RV Bug wasn't avoidable.
While every bit of construction done before me on this kit has been done to the highest standards, really, I'm now approaching the end of what they did and the part where I have to pick up the torch and march on.
Sadly the little check boxes in the manual were not checked along his way, so I'm now trying to figure out where to step in. By all appearances, this is a QB+ Fuselage. Skins on. Rudder Pedals mounted. Some components, like the baggage floor and side are primed and ready to go.
Is there a simple way to go through the instructions to find out where to join the party in progress? My eyes are crossing, reading every entry for a nutplate and countersinking that needs to be done.
I wish I'd have gotten a better departure briefing, but I didn't. So, now I'm just trying to make sure that some rivet that has been left for later (for a good reason) isn't overlooked by me now.
Does anyone have a good way to cut to the chase now?

I bought a used kit that was basically at the QB stage. I started on page one and went through each section line by line. You’ll eventually get to where things haven’t been done and that’s your start point.

Line by line

I just purchased an incomplete RV-7 and am in the same place as you. The wings are not finished or even quickbuild status, so to ensure the previous builder did not inadvertently skip a step I am checking every instruction to the work.

It also gives me a complete picture of the aircraft.

This^

Didn't take long to start at the beginning and double check the original builder's work.
Though the craftsmanship is excellent, I did find a couple minor steps that were not completed.

Do not assume that every single step was completed. If it was completed, verify it was completed correctly. I found a few things that required a re-do on my third hand project, including the horizontal stabilizer was mounted 3* off level when I bolted it up and checked the rigging. Assume nothing. Check and verify!

Yea, I thought so. I didn't really expect another answer, so I'll join the trail with you guys. It's just mind-numbing BORING to read instructions for operations you can't really see, with parts you never held, and then assume they really did deburr, as the instructions require.

Plus, I'm lucky enough that everything the previous builder (Kent, are you still out there?) did was done really well, so he gets the benefit of the doubt. There are rudder pedals hung and a fuel valve in place, while I'm going through the instructions on seat and floor ribs.

Soldiering on...

Just like quickbuild

It’s the same as building a quick build. You have to figure out what has been done, what hasn’t been done, what was done that should’ve have been done, what was done wrong and needs to be corrected.

I started my project by buying a empennage and mostly completed wing kit. Took a long time to go through each step and verify, but it was time well spend. I learned a lot about how Van's does stuff and found some stuff that had been skipped or done incorrectly.

I also almost gave myself a heart attack when I was holding a borescope shoulder deep in one of the wings and discovered a dead grasshopper. It looked as big as a kitten on the scope and for a split second I was sure it was going to take my whole hand off.

Back