What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy slider latch

lostpilot28

Well Known Member
On the plans it shows the aluminum latch that hooks on the pin of the roll bar being trimmed from the forward edge back. When my canopy is closed, the hook doesn't extend forward enough to catch the pin...I would have to trim the AFT side of the hook forward about 1/2 inch to make it catch.

Is this just another shortcoming of the Van's plans? My guess is that you trim the aft side of the catch to make it fit, then once it catches on the pin you can trim any excess off the forward side. Any advice? :confused:

That's correct - trim to fit the pin, and you may have to bend the arm a tad for perpendicularity with the pin. Make sure the roll bar brace is installed and there's a bit of resistance going over center. Go slow with the file. Call me if you cut too much; I keep a spare 'cause I learned the hard way.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Sonny-
Just did this and messed it up two days ago because I did not have the plexi on the canopy frame when I did trimmed the hook. I trimmed the hook to fit, put the plexi on, and then found that I'd trimmed too much because the plexi pulled the frame a little forward. Thus, I have to order what is probably a $5.00 part for $20.00 after shipping and handling! :(

And yes, I too will have to trim from the aft side, but will then still be able to trim a little off the forward side.

Notice also that if you want to have handle perpendicular to the rollbar, you'll need to make sure the end of the slot in the hook is inline with the handle.

Hope this helps.

Whew!

I double checked how the mechanism works and it looks like you shouldn't have to trim anything. My handle was in the closed/locked position, but when I turned it to the open position the latch was long enough to grab the pin. I did have to very lightly file it to get it to go around the pin without hitting, but it works well as is.

Thanks for your feedback!

Latch Redo on RV-6 Slider

Need to reinstall Canopy Latch on RV-6 slider.
Has anyone done this (broken off by a nosy nellie who obviously didn't realize canopy was locked).
I'm curious as to why builder may have trimmed so much off top of latch.

Smak

Attachments

• Latch IMG_2007.jpg .jpg
    Latch IMG_2007.jpg .jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 57
Need to reinstall Canopy Latch on RV-6 slider.
Has anyone done this (broken off by a nosy nellie who obviously didn't realize canopy was locked).
I'm curious as to why builder may have trimmed so much off top of latch.

Smak

Every canopy is built just a little bit differently. We had to trim quite a bit off ours, though maybe not as much as your old one appears to have been. It just depends upon where the canopy frame sits when it's closed, and frame fit, plexi trim, skirt fit, and windshield fairing all play a part in the geometry. It is most likely going to be an iterative process for you, putting the latch arm on and marking where it will be close to fitting, then cutting and re-assembly at least a few times I would guess before you get a nice closure and fit.

I recently made one on a friends plane.. I traced out the old one on some .063 I think, and went slow. It snaps over center nicely. No need to wait for shipping on such an easy job

Back