What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HBC for one night then HBP?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
I'm planning out logistics for a twist to my Oshkosh plans. The cousin and I have our usual off-airport accommodations for the whole week, Sunday to Sunday. However, I'm volunteering on the South 40 flight line, and am now thinking of flying up Saturday, camping at my plane that night, and attending my training Sunday morning. Would it work out better to park in HBC the whole week even though I'm not camping, or camp in HBP Saturday night? I'm reading that EAA charges a 3-night minimum even for camping at the plane? Thanks for any thoughts from the pros.

So, when you arrive to camp registration, you pay for the week/remaining available days up front and then when you return the credentials you will (eventually, as in a week or so) receive a refund for unused nights. They do have a three-night minimum, so staying for just one night would cost you a pretty pricey $84.

The regs also say, "To camp in one of the aircraft camping areas, you must be an active EAA member. If your aircraft is parked in this area you will be charged for camping." As we have always camped on field as long as the airplane was there, I cannot speak to whether this means you pay for as long as your plane is there (perhaps one of the HBC guys will chime in) but the credentials go on the tent, not the plane and there's nothing that says you can't pack up and move the plane to HBP if necessary, you'll just need to coordinate with a HB volunteer to taxi it over.

There are usually plenty of planes without tents in HBC (ours has fallen into that category when we've camped with friends in Vintage), but I cannot recall HBP having tents. It's quite a bit further from the amenities, even if it is allowed.

I can neither confirm nor deny how stringently the camping credentials are enforced on Sunday, or if you make a new friend that isn't an immediate family member but who offers to share their camping footprint how closely that will be scrutinized...

Last edited:
Scott,

If you leave the plane in HBC all week then they will charge you for the camping rate each night, even if you aren't camped there. I would definitely move it to HBP where there is no charge. That is simple enough- just find one of the parking volunteers and tell them you want to move. Be advised that on Saturday and Sunday we are extremely busy with arrivals and may not have time to get to you right away so be patient.

Camping is not allowed at all in HBP so that is out. You might get away with it for one night but don't count on it.

If I were you I'd park it in HBP then try to find some spot where you can put your tent down for the night, perhaps within the footprint of another aircraft in HBC that only has one small tent. A case of beer per night is the usual and customary fee but buyers and sellers can negotiate between themselves.

We plan on using HBC this year. It is our first time so something is a little unclear to me. The ticket page for camping says $28 per day for “general aircraft camping”.

That generally means to me, since it is the Experimental AA, to be the spam cans, not homebuilts. Which is it?

Every airplane, including experimentals, pays $28 per night to camp. I think there is a 2 tent limit for each airplane.

Scott
On arrival park in HBP. Then come see me or one of my volunteers near the pavilion in HBC. I can accommodate you for one night.
Jerry Folkerts
Chairman, Homebuilt Camping Hosts

THANKS Jerry! That would be awesome. I'll happily pay for part of the site that night. Or what kind of beer do you like? :D Now I have to find my small tent still buried downstairs in the pile of moving boxes.

Back