What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BandC regulator

Perfect

13.9- 14.8 is a range that works for most needs. 14.4 is in the middle….perfect

My original Ducati regulator was set at 13.8V, which is the bare minimum.
That worked fine because the Rotax 912ULS started so quickly that the battery did not need much charging. For a lead acid battery, between 14.0 and 14.4 volts is OK, depending on how much the battery is run down and the length of the flight. Lithium batteries require a higher recharge voltage. Following the battery manufacturer's charging instructions is best.

It varies slightly by battery type. The PC680 recommends 14.7. EarthX 13.9 to 14.4 if my aging memory is correct.

Last edited:
Odyssey PC 680 charging

The Spec sheet for the PC680 from the Odyssey website shows the charging voltage should be set to 14.4-14.8. My B&C voltage regulator manual says to set the voltage to 14.4V so that’s where mine is set. Trading e-mails with Odyssey tech support they stated that if you have the Odyssey battery charger and an Odyssey battery you can leave the charger on continuously. I challenged this and repeated my e-mail question back to them and they confirmed for the 2nd time you can leave it hooked up to the charger. They also said if it’s not the Odyssey charger then do not leave it connected all the time.

Leon- Granted your question was about the B&C AVC1 regulator but the manual for the AVC1 on page A-2 does show “pre-set to control alternator output voltage at 14.4V.” Not sure what battery you have in the -12 so the spec sheet for that battery should tell you where to set the VR.

Last edited:
Trading e-mails with Odyssey tech support they stated that if you have the Odyssey battery charger and an Odyssey battery you can leave the charger on continuously. I challenged this and repeated my e-mail question back to them and they confirmed for the 2nd time you can leave it hooked up to the charger. They also said if it’s not the Odyssey charger then do not leave it connected all the time.

Odyssey told you correctly... Odyssey Absorbent Glass Mat Battery and Odyssey Charger connected 24/7 is good. I leave my RV-12 on charge all the time in hanger. The Odyssey chargers have several programmed charge modes that initiate on charger power-up and by set time. One mode is disulfate which reconditions the plates. Auto Maintain mode is initiated after battery is at correct voltage. No additional charging or trickle charging is done unless battery voltage falls below preset minimum. I believe, if unattended, the charger will restart entire cycle once/month. Very nice charger…
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 10.42.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 10.42.06 AM.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 53
…….Trading e-mails with Odyssey tech support they stated that if you have the Odyssey battery charger and an Odyssey battery you can leave the charger on continuously. I challenged this and repeated my e-mail question back to them and they confirmed for the 2nd time you can leave it hooked up to the charger. They also said if it’s not the Odyssey charger then do not leave it connected all the time.

I have maybe a 6 year old Odyssey 6a brand charger, it charges till fully charge and cycles charge off….no trickle on my Odyssey. I see the newer 6amp chargers have a “maintain” choice as well as “conditioner” Guessing its a choice , rather than it rolls to “maintain” after fully charged. Might be time to upgrade my Odyssey Charger.

There was a bad hangar fire at my airport several years ago due to a battery charger that was left on an automotive battery. Probably a fluke accident, but I never leave anything on charge unattended except my iPad out of an abundance of caution.

Back