What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration Paperwork Question

spatsch

Well Known Member
I should know this as I did it once before but I don't... .

On form 8050-88 and 8050-1 for manufacturer do I have to say:

Oliver Spatscheck

or

Spatscheck, Oliver

Thx

Oliver

Put it the way you want it to be, but it must match the dataplate exactly, including any punctuation. The FAA does not understand John Smith and Smith, John communicate exactly the same information. Ask me how I know. :mad:

I sent my registration on Tuesday. On Monday when I was reviewing everything I noticed that the Bill of Sale from Vans had last name, first name. Called Vans and found out that's how the FAA wants the Bill of Sale. So I changed all my paperwork before shipping to last name, first name.

I was told by Vans (I haven't verified with the FAA) that if you want first name, last name to submit your 8050-1 and 8050-88 with first name, last name. The FAA will reach out to you about the paperwork being different from the bill of sale. Tell them you want first name, last name and the FAA will required you to submit another bill of sale (from yourself, not Vans) with first name, last name. Doesn't make sense but that's what I was told.

Put it the way you want it to be, but it must match the dataplate exactly, including any punctuation. The FAA does not understand John Smith and Smith, John communicate exactly the same information. Ask me how I know. :mad:

Aircraft registration does NOT use puncuation!

Well, applications are one thing, and the actual registration is something else entirely.

I submitted all of my paperwork (8050-88, 8050-1, etc.) with "LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME" for the Manufacturer, since it appeared that was what was required based on my research/reading at that time (turns out I think that was wrong, but whatever).

Guess what I received? The actual registration form 8050-3 with "FIRSTNAME LASTNAME" for the Manufacturer.

Since's that what I really wanted in the first place, I didn't argue. Of course, the dataplate was made to match that, since that's required.

So I'd say submit it the way you want it to be, but don't be surprised if it comes back in a different order. :)

Thx!

Now a follow up question does the name of the person registering it need to match the manufacturer name.

E.g. Can I list manufacturer

Spatscheck Oliver

but list as owner

Oliver Spatscheck

Thx

Oliver

Thx!
Now a follow up question does the name of the person registering it need to match the manufacturer name.
E.g. Can I list manufacturer
Spatscheck Oliver
but list as owner
Oliver Spatscheck
Thx
Oliver

Yes! Common practice.

Back