What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SureFly feedback before I pull the trigger

I installed a Surefly with my Dynon SKyview Classic. I connected the original Slick mag P-lead to the Surefly and did not change the original Dynon resister or wiring.

The tach signal from the Surefly to the Dynon Skyview works perfectly on either the Surefly or the P-mag.

I did buy the Surefly "tach box", which I did not use.

We installed a surefly mag on one of our club planes: a '78 172N with an o320 D2J engine. So far the results are good. The only hiccup is that the carb was too lean and we had to put a richer carb on her for getting enough cooling fuel during climb out.

We installed a surefly mag on one of our club planes: a '78 172N with an o320 D2J engine. So far the results are good. The only hiccup is that the carb was too lean and we had to put a richer carb on her for getting enough cooling fuel during climb out.

Variable or fixed advance?

No Brushes and a credit only

Excellent...... so all know, seems Champion will reimburse you for SB driven replacement parts. Just have to go through a distributor for new parts and through same to send back old, with paperwork. Champion sends reimbursement $$$ to distributor, then from them to you. I verified these statements with Aircraft Spruce as well as a call over to Champion customer support in Liberty SC. Make no matter the warranty status of your mags. For the gear replacement in sb1-15a , you also get a new set of brushes in the box with the gear.

I got two gears from Spruce, there were no brushes supplied. When the gear sets were returned, Spruce took forever to respond and then only applied a credit to the account, not a refund of the money.

Now have replaced the LHS impulse mag with the Surefly SIM4P. It has made a big difference in starting my IO360M1B. Starts more like a car than ever before. I've only had a handful of flights, but am already far more confident with it than the mag it replaced. After having a long history of difficult starting, the Surefly seems to have fixed all my starting issues.

Just finished Surefly install on impulse side

I have Bendix mags so I had to buy a "Slick" harness to mate with the Surefly. Install went well -- had the %&$* getting the cotter pin in during the gear change and it took me two or three tries to get the mag-to-engine timing just right. I did go ahead and hook up the MAP line to take advantage of the advance, though my flying, these days, will not really enjoy much of the benefit. I have my engine data coming into a Dynon EMS 120 and displaying on my AFS 5600T -- I did not make any change to my P-lead sensing for the tach (30K resistors off the P lead to Pin 32 and 33 of the EMS 120), and thus lost the tach display for the left side. I had read posts prior to the install and was expecting this -- I did contact Surefly and their suggestion was to reduce the resistor value -- I had already read where that did not work, for others. I do not want to buy the "tach board" from Surefly - $160, and more wiring complexity. For now, the smooth operation of the Surefly is enough verification that the mag, and the plugs, are working on that side.

Stay safe, out there!

Ron

I do not want to buy the "tach board" from Surefly - $160, and more wiring complexity. For now, the smooth operation of the Surefly is enough verification that the mag, and the plugs, are working on that side.

A logical and practical approach. 👍

I want to emphasize I wasn't looking for improved performance, just wanted to replace via plug-n-play the mechanical mag and its associated inspection/overhaul requirements with an electronic ignition that won't need any maintenance for the remaining life of the engine...
You are assuming, of course, that a design issue doesn't crop up with this relatively new ignition.

Good luck, I hope it gives you a life time of service and by "life time", I'm not talking about your life.

You are assuming, of course, that a design issue doesn't crop up with this relatively new ignition.

Good luck, I hope it gives you a life time of service and by "life time", I'm not talking about your life.

Wow, Bill, that was a really negative post.........

I guess the alternative is to assume a problem will crop up, but I don't think that line of thinking governs our equipment decisions....unless we are affiliated with a competing vendor. :)

Last edited:
[Good luck, I hope it gives you a life time of service and by "life time", I'm not talking about your life./QUOTE]

YIKES!! Competing vendor?? Yep. Sounding political. Can?t we all just get along?

Rpm output

We solved the RPM issue going from Mags with Hall effect sensor to electronic ignition. We install the UMA Tach drive unit but had it built with ONLY two magnets instead of the standard 4 magnets. UMA will do this, no problem, now I get one pulse per crankshaft revolution, just like I did with the Hall effect sensor on the magneto.. It is 5v square wave output. Were now running dual Surefly and with the tack drive rpm sender, we get rpm readout even when we do a mag drop run up test.. we hope this helps...

Since SureFly is set up for Slick caps and harness it would require adapting either the leads or the sparkplug caps to automotive style. Remember SureFly is towing the line for type certified aircraft. In the case of my Husky I kept the Slick harness and massive electrode plugs as changes were not allowed under the STC.

Last edited:
Removed my Slick I/C left mag and installed a Surefly EIS in my 7A ,(0-375), this weekend . Fairly easy job, but took some time due to tight working space; (however, installing the gear cotter pin was no picnic!) After correcting a dumb error on my part, got the timing set correctly and the engine is now running great.... very quick on starting. I also installed a new harness and spark plugs. I have a three blade Catto prop and have not have any kick back issues, ( timing is set at TDC #1 as per instructions).
First flight test should be Wed.....

Removed my Slick I/C left mag and installed a Surefly EIS in my 7A ,(0-375), this weekend . Fairly easy job, but took some time due to tight working space; (however, installing the gear cotter pin was no picnic!) After correcting a dumb error on my part, got the timing set correctly and the engine is now running great.... very quick on starting. I also installed a new harness and spark plugs. I have a three blade Catto prop and have not have any kick back issues, ( timing is set at TDC #1 as per instructions).
First flight test should be Wed.....

I'll be watching your flight tests, as I was the one that returned my Surefly while swinging a catto 3-blade and having kickbacks. This was prior to others suggesting a timing retard to correct it. My kickbacks were numerous & is why I returned it. On a cross country last month, my starter failed & I will be replacing next week. I suspect my starter failure is related to my prior kickbacks.

The Skyview does get tach info from the right Slick mag just fine. Not sure this is a problem that warrants $160 and an install of the tach board.

FWIW.......Not flying yet, but do have SureFly on left and Slick mag on right of an IO-540. I chose to have my tach sensor run off Slick, not the SureFly. Was advised this was a good way to go because, in the event of a total electrical failure, you can still have RPM readings from slick mag even if Surefly is not powered up. I was told if I rely on SureFly for tach sensor, and power to it fails, I'd loose RPM readings.

Surefly tach

The reason for having a working tach, in my mind, is that it helps with the Mag check. When I do a mag check I am checking both sides and seeing if there is a large difference between both, although I have never had an issue I have seen the gap spread at runup and that told me it was time to do a retiming. With Surefly if you have no RPM and your Mag goes, than you have no tach reading and you need to fly it by "ear". You want that Tach connected to both the Mag and the Surefly for a mag check and mag or Surefly failure. There is a reason why Skyview has two connections- for two Mags or one EI and one MAG. Use them both is what I would plan for.

Last edited:
I also have one mag (left) and a Surefly. My Tach sensor for my Advanced EFIS
is on the magneto. Even if the mag fails, you will still get a tach reading
as long as the mag shaft is turning (if it isn't, you have bigger problems).
I don't lose tach readings during mag checks.

Last edited:
As both of my mags were wired to Dynon EMS via P leads, sounds like I need to either get the Surefly tach board , OR install a magnetic pickup tach sender in the remaining slick mag. This tach sender would be connected to left side tach input on Dynon EMS, ( per Dynon install instructions). As Tom said, as long as mag is turning, tach info will be sent. This would solve the run up check issue as I would not lose rpm info when running on Surefly alone.

As both of my mags were wired to Dynon EMS via P leads, sounds like I need to either get the Surefly tach board , OR install a magnetic pickup tach sender in the remaining slick mag. This tach sender would be connected to left side tach input on Dynon EMS, ( per Dynon install instructions). As Tom said, as long as mag is turning, tach info will be sent. This would solve the run up check issue as I would not lose rpm info when running on Surefly alone.

I installed a Surefly a month ago replacing the left impulse mag and yes I have no tach reading on my Skyview during mag checks when on the Surefly. I am ok with this as I can hear the engine rpm during runup and during normal operation the tach reading from my right mag is OK. No need in my opinion to spend time or money to fix this minor issue.

Good point Steve.....BTW: Do you notice/ hear ANY drop in rpm when you do run up and turn switch from Both to Surefly only?

Good point Steve.....BTW: Do you notice/ hear ANY drop in rpm when you do run up and turn switch from Both to Surefly only?

From what I hear during runup is that the rpm drop is less on the Surefly versus the right mag. The rpm drop on the mag is about 70 rpm. There is a drop on the Surefly but less. I am comfortable with it. It appears to start better but to be honest I was not having starting issues prior to the Surefly installation. I currently have the Surefly set for fixed timing.

I would be interested if anyone has the actual details on what is needed to actually integrate the surefly tach, from a signal perspective. I know they sell the tach board that has various tach signal outputs you can use. My EIS is the GRT EIS, and works fine with a 39K resistor on the mag p-lead and works on lightspeed ignition directly just fine.

I emailed GRT in advance to see what they recommend for changing the resistor value so that the tach signal works properly with the surefly, and they simply told me it doesn't work with the EIS. That answer doesn't sit well because after all, it's just a pulse signal. They said I could buy the UMA tach sensor and use that.

Surefly told me the mag p-lead signal is something like 200-300V whereas theirs is 60V, so the resistor would need to change but that should be about it.
Maybe this would be the solution with the Advance Flight question above too?

My EIS has dual tach, and I'd rather not just add the UMA tach sensor when I should be able to do a little adjustment to resistor values and get tach input working. Just hoping someone has maybe done the work already.

I'm not yet ready to install my surefly systems on my 2 planes, but when I am done, it'll be Lightspeed + Surefly, most likely with the surefly running straight timing. If nobody has an answer on what will make it work with the EIS, and I figure it out after I install them, I'll post here. I would think the same fix would work on the Dynon/Advanced stuff.

I'll be watching your flight tests, as I was the one that returned my Surefly while swinging a catto 3-blade and having kickbacks. This was prior to others suggesting a timing retard to correct it. My kickbacks were numerous & is why I returned it. On a cross country last month, my starter failed & I will be replacing next week. I suspect my starter failure is related to my prior kickbacks.
Have started her up four times now..... starts great, no kickback issues. 🤞
Flight test tomorrow .......

Sort of replying to my own post above. A friend who already installed his Surefly did some testing for me today with an oscilloscope. From the Surefly FAQ, the tach signal is "60VDC pulse with 10Vdc offset". What that means in effect is that there's a steady 10VDC coming off the tach signal, and the pulse goes up from there. That's probably why the engine monitors have such a hard time with it. They need to get down to zero or something much lower than 10V to register the low end of the pulse.

So, he tested it today with an inline film capacity of 1uF, and when you look at the scope with that installed, the flat DC voltage doesn't pass, but you still get the pulse waveform.

I won't be installing mine for a little bit yet, but when I do, I'm going to try it with that inline capacitor and a resistor, and see how the GRT EIS handles that. My guess is it'll work fine, because my current 2 tach are Lightspeed and mag p-lead and they are vastly different, yet the EIS config is the same. Not all engine monitors may like a big pulse but the GRT can handle 200V pulses with no issue.

At least it's encouraging that it should be workable.

First flight since Surefly install today. Engine started quickly. No kickback issues.
Ran beautifully.... very smooth. I did install a new harness and new spark plugs as well. Runup was like others have posted... about 60-70 rpm drop when running on right mag alone. By the sound of it, the rpm drop when switching to Surefly and mag off, was about 30-40rpm.
Maybe it was just me, but it sure seemed to have increased power on take off roll! Weather was not great, so didn’t get to do a lot of data collection at higher altitudes. As expected, CHTs were 20-25 degrees higher than before. So far, so good.
FYI: Engine is AeroSports Power 0-375 205hp.

Last edited:
First flight since Surefly install today. Engine started quickly. No kickback issues.
Ran beautifully.... very smooth. I did install a new harness and new spark plugs as well. Runup was like others have posted... about 60-70 rpm drop when running on right mag alone. By the sound of it, the rpm drop when switching to Surefly and mag off, was about 30-40rpm.
Maybe it was just me, but it sure seemed to have increased power on take off roll! Weather was not great, so didn?t get to do a lot of data collection at higher altitudes. As expected, CHTs were 20-25 degrees higher than before. So far, so good.
FYI: Engine is AeroSports Power 0-375 205hp.

Walt, how is the timing set up Variable or Fixed?

Thanks, Walt. I changed mine back to fixed yesterday, with summer temps my cht?s were getting to high. I did help bring them down around 15 degrees.

Mike

SureFly

To the orginal poster. I am a SureFly fan! I have mine on the right side. I had two impulse Mags. I have no drop when switching to the SureFly and it has helped me on my hot starts with my IO360-200. I have the SureFly on a TWC back up battery and a separate switch for it inline as well. It has been awesome! Relatively easy to put in and no more 500 hour overhauls as I I have been taught that you should to that to hopefully keep the slick from leaving you stranded. So if you do the math, excluding the engine benefits/efficiency and that the SureFly is TBO it becomes a very easy choice. On top of that the SureFly folks are just great to work with. Not that I have had to. I did have some questions on initial install and 2 years later on my CI about inspecting it as my A&P had not seen one before. Been a great investment.

Thanks, Walt. I changed mine back to fixed yesterday, with summer temps my cht?s were getting to high. I did help bring them down around 15 degrees.

Mike

My temps were a bit higher at first as well....and I found that as I flew higher, (lower power settings), and the timing advanced further, my temps have gone up to an unacceptable level. I was seeing increase in CHT of 30-35 degrees and oil temps up 15-20!
So, yesterday I pulled the unit and switched it to fixed timing. Flew a couple hours this morning.... engine ran smooth and cool. Temps were back to normal.( And it was very HOT today here in So Calif!)
Thinking that maybe the timing advance curve is not appropriate for my
Aero Sports Power 0-375, 205 hp engine.....
Walt

PS: I have a Catto 3-blade prop....NO issues with kick back.

new install

today in my O-360 with Airflow injection system. Replaced right mag and retained left mag with impulse coupling. Started on the second blade and smooth idle down to 650 rpm or so. Storm clouds rolled in before I could fly, will update once I get in the air with it.

I have shied away from the variable timing option. Especially after reading many of the posts by some very smart people on VAF. My objective for installing the SureFly was easy starting for fuel injected engine and smooth running. I understand that the angle-valve Lycomings do much better with fixed timing. I will leave the variable timing curves to the flight level fliers who like to run LOP. Just give me fixed-timing reliability without engine kick backs or backfires.

Hoping for a hot-start miracle, but,

that did not happen. The Surefly does a good job, I went ahead and hooked up the variable timing. No noticeable change in temps, and on my last trip to WV, was able to get LOP without any problem at 9-10K.

As far as hot-starts, still takes a lot of cranking.

Ron

post-flight update

Ran out for a quick flight before work today. My set up is 25 degree fixed timing, aluminum Sensenich propeller.

Starting was great, kicked over on 2nd blade - much improved from 2 Slick mags - though the overhaul of the left with impulse coupling may have helped here. Again, good idle at 650+- rpm after warm up without trying to cut out.

Short 24 minute flight, but no discernible change in CHTs or EGTs from before - will have to do some more monitoring of this. I was able to run it .3-.5 gph leaner (LOP) without rough running. Again, I'll need to do some more flying and monitoring to see what it's doing in this regime.

Hot start at the fuel pump after went well, seemed to light off quicker and easier than before with the usual technique. For what it's worth, if you're using the Airflow purge valve, I find it works better to do a short prime (primes the lines, not the cylinders) with the valve closed, then open and use the mixture rather than the purge valve to regulate the fuel flow on start up.

So far, very pleased with the Surefly.

Last edited:
I used Aircraft Magneto Services to overhaul my impulse mag a year ago. Highly recommend them! Couldn’t be happier.

Just feedback now that I'm running a Lightspeed (right) and SureFly (Left) on a new IO-540. I run fixed timing on the surefly. It's a brand new engine so I'm having to do break in, so it's very hard to come up with solid good numerical information on things like CHT effects, so all I can offer is empirical data. That said, the engine seems to run extremely smooth with the dual EI. Probably the smoothest I've ever seen for a 2-blade RV10. I have a couple other RV-10 buddies with the same setup, and both feel the same about their engines. So at this point, unless I find some long-term issues, I am very comfortable recommending such a configuration to others.

Personally I feel that (between these 2 systems) Lightspeed is the "best" system for the top plugs and I am extremely happy with how it's treated me for nearly 2000 hours between 2 airplanes. Having a no-moving-part system with a front crank sensor seems like a real good way to go, running auto plugs on top.
I am not comfortable with standard auto plug pop-on caps on bottom plugs, and I wouldn't want dual crank sensors on the front that could get ripped off by a blown alternator belt, so doing dual-LSE would make me uncomfortable. But having an aviation plug, threaded connector system on the bottom plugs, with a rear mounted system fixes that and gives you good diversity, while maintaining dual-EI. I do have dual-alternator, and dual-battery as well, so that eliminated some of the electrical dependency fear. When wiring in the surefly I also made it able to be powered by a 3rd, portable backup as well...something that I wouldn't worry about other than for some very long over-water or very inhospitable terrain flights (think flying to Alaska).

At any rate, I'm really liking the system. No impulse coupling to worry about. Starts have been real good. And good smoothness. I haven't tried LOP with the new engine yet, so I can't comment on that. I'm guessing it can't be any worse than the LSE+Mag that I used to use.

Again, it's just empirical but the surefly does seem to be working out great. It's an easy system to install, and very simply replaces a mag. The only disappointment with it is that it has a higher mag drop than I expected, but they tell me from the company that they purposely did that to the low RPM timing to make it "feel" more like a mag.

My temps were a bit higher at first as well....and I found that as I flew higher, (lower power settings), and the timing advanced further, my temps have gone up to an unacceptable level. I was seeing increase in CHT of 30-35 degrees and oil temps up 15-20!
So, yesterday I pulled the unit and switched it to fixed timing. Flew a couple hours this morning.... engine ran smooth and cool. Temps were back to normal.( And it was very HOT today here in So Calif!)
Thinking that maybe the timing advance curve is not appropriate for my
Aero Sports Power 0-375, 205 hp engine.....
Walt

PS: I have a Catto 3-blade prop....NO issues with kick back.

The high compression 205hp 370 and the (unknown) advanced timing are a dangerous combo IMO. I run the same engine and the only EI I would consider would be the CPI as you can control the advance curve.

Already bored

And that’s a good thing.

Flew some more with the new Surefly and it just sits there and does what it’s supposed to. Starts are a little easier, cold and hot. But, they should be with 2 mags firing instead of one. Idle is better, smoother and doesn’t want to die when pulled all the way back. I can run .3-.5 leaner when LOP in cruise smoothly. No discernible difference in CHTs and EGTs.

No muss, fuss or fiddle. I’m liking it, a lot.

The high compression 205hp 370 and the (unknown) advanced timing are a dangerous combo IMO.

With a timing advance map based on manifold pressure and RPM, theory says a variable advance system will not command advance excessive enough to grenade the engine, at least if kept plenty rich or plenty lean. I say "theory" because we've already noted a Lightspeed goes to full advance with a failed manifold sensor, and high compression does narrow the margins.

I too dislike unknown timing schedules.

I run the same engine and the only EI I would consider would be the CPI as you can control the advance curve.

IIRC, it is the engine Nigel flew for a complete survey of timing, speed, vs CHT, for two mixtures, as reported in Kitplanes:

Download here with permission of the author:
https://www.danhorton.net/Misc/Nigel Speedy - Ignition Advance .pdf

Fair summary...CHT rise at 100 ROP averages 2.5 F for each degrees of additional advance. CHT rise at 25 LOP averages 1.5 F per degree of additional advance. The optimum advance setting for ROP and LOP are not the same. ROP was optimized with only 3 degrees of additional advance. LOP required far more advance for best speed, but in general, only when up high.

Here's the Catch 22. Climb requires power. More power means more rate of climb. Best power is found running mixture ROP. With a single variable schedule optimized for LOP, timing will advance as the aircraft climbs and manifold pressure drops with altitude. CHT will rise at 2.5 F per degree of advance, compounded by the drop in air density (i.e. less cooling mass flow), so the engine gets hot.

Put another way, lots of advance might be desirable with a parallel valve after the aircraft gets to some upper altitude and can set LOP... but the poor bugger has a tough time getting there.

SDS CPI and EDIS/Megajolt both offer dual maps, the ability to program and switch between two different advance schedules, i.e one for ROP and one of LOP. A Lightspeed can be wired to bias timing plus or minus 5 degrees from the pre-set timing schedule. Surefly offers the ability to set fixed or variable timing, which only requires the user to think about his mission.

Personal opinion, but if the mission is mostly fun flying at lower altitudes, there is little value in variable advance. A Surefly set for fixed timing is a fine choice for that application. The user stills nets all the start and idle advantages, can run very, very lean when desired, and can climb at will without driving CHT to the top of the scale. It's not ultimate performance, but it is easy on the machine.

Personal opinion, but if the mission is mostly fun flying at lower altitudes, there is little value in variable advance. A Surefly set for fixed timing is a fine choice for that application. The user stills nets all the start and idle advantages, can run very, very lean when desired, and can climb at will without driving CHT to the top of the scale. It's not ultimate performance, but it is easy on the machine.

That is also my opinion based on my mission profile and experience with a fixed-timing SureFly.

Retard the base timing a few degrees, up to 20 Deg BTDC that will help temps....
Did you see a difference between fixed and variable?

I am assuming but pretty sure Surefly does not advance timing unless under 75%, the the advance curve is mild. You will not reach the full advanced until power is very low, Don't know what surefly is programed to, but guessing 55% power or less?

Last edited:
SureFly begins retarding the timing when below 25” MAP, and the variable curve is based on RPM/MAP ratio. Max advance is 38* at a very low MAP (I don’t know what that is). They have done extensive detonation testing and have found no issues with their built in advance curve - which they don’t publish. I got this information from a SureFly engineer last week. The certified units that go on new Lycomings are fixed timing. I don’t think they are working on variable timing for certified installations, but they are working on a two SureFly installation with Lycoming. They had one at the Lycoming tent at Oshkosh last summer. Aircraft Spruce has the SIM4’s in stock right now, but SureFly has a limited number in stock, however, they do have rebuilt SIM4 & 4P’s in stock at a lower price (~$400 lower). These units are primarily returned units that had little or no run time, and in most cases, nothing wrong with them (installation error). They carry the same 2 year warranty as a new one.

SureFly begins retarding the timing when below 25” MAP, and the variable curve is based on RPM/MAP ratio. Max advance is 38* at a very low MAP (I don’t know what that is). They have done extensive detonation testing and have found no issues with their built in advance curve - which they don’t publish. I got this information from a SureFly engineer last week. The certified units that go on new Lycomings are fixed timing. I don’t think they are working on variable timing for certified installations, but they are working on a two SureFly installation with Lycoming. They had one at the Lycoming tent at Oshkosh last summer. Aircraft Spruce has the SIM4’s in stock right now, but SureFly has a limited number in stock, however, they do have rebuilt SIM4 & 4P’s in stock at a lower price (~$400 lower). These units are primarily returned units that had little or no run time, and in most cases, nothing wrong with them (installation error). They carry the same 2 year warranty as a new one.

Surefly is approved for use in the variable timing mode on a large number of certified aircraft. They are adding more all the time. The applications guide on their website shows which certified aircraft are allowed to run variable timing. All the certified aircraft I am aware of at my airport are running the variable mode. I am the outlier running 23 fixed. We had trouble with the variable mode and with our 9.5 to 1 pistons decided to go fixed.

Last edited:
Surefly is approved for use in the variable timing mode on a large number of certified aircraft. They are adding more all the time. The applications guide on their website shows which certified aircraft are allowed to run variable timing. All the certified aircraft I am aware of at my airport are running the variable mode. I am the outlier running 23 fixed. We had trouble with the variable mode and with our 9.5 to 1 pistons decided to go fixed.

Yep you’re right. Just found this out today. I have a friend that is building an RV14 with the Lycoming IO-390, with dual Lycoming EI’s (SureFly) and has removed them to install a dual EFII system. I thought I might buy one of his SIMs for my RV6 build, so I called SureFly. The certified units have different firmware as designed by Lycoming. SureFly is building these units under contract for Lycoming. Lycoming specifies the settings that are internal and not adjustable by the operator. Their variable advance curve is proprietary and not the same as what you would get with a blue SureFly. These particular SIMs were set for 20* VAR - meaning a 20* standard advance with variable timing. On this unit, the max variable advance is to 28*. And you can’t change any of that. Dip switch access is not available, so I couldn’t change it to my 25* engine. The timing schedule, advanced or fixed, is set in the firmware. Also, SureFly doesn’t own this mag, Lycoming does, so any warranty that may or may not be implied is Lycoming’s responsibility. And Lycoming has a terrible track record in support of this system.
I will be buying a blue SureFly SIM from SureFly or Spruce and it comes with a 2-year warranty from time of installation - even if you buy a factory rebuilt unit, and SureFly offers very good support. This will be my second airplane with a SureFly ignition.

Ross,
I guess I’m a little backwards sometimes - yes I meant to say ADVANCE timing.
Sorry.

I have a friend that is building an RV14 with the Lycoming IO-390, with dual Lycoming EI’s (SureFly)...On this unit, the max variable advance is to 28*. And you can’t change any of that.

Scott, confirm please. Your understanding is that these Lycoming-branded units supplied with the 390 have a 28 degree maximum advance?

Dan,
No, I can’t say for sure, but that is what the RV14 builder, Bruce Brielmaier told me. I assume he read it some where in the supplied paperwork that came with the engine. I’ll try to clarify when I see him next - probably today.

Scott, confirm please. Your understanding is that these Lycoming-branded units supplied with the 390 have a 28 degree maximum advance?

Dan,
I just talked to Bruce about his engine. He said that he spoke with a Lycoming engine rep at Sun N Fun and was told that the max advance on the 390 with variable timing is 28*.
Incidentally, he has installed the SDS dual ignition system in it’s place, not the EFII system as I said earlier.

6E598111-E67F-4C9F-A485-0D611C1718B6.jpg

SPK. ADV. 20VAR - bottom row on data plate.

Back