What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back Seat Ventilation

YellaDawg

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Wondering how one gets air to the rear seat vent. Kit comes with an addition NACA scoop, I can see using it with a hose to the vent, where would one place the NACA vent, I was considering cutting it into the skin on the right side, above the wing.

What Carl said. Build a cover for the rear stick well and run the hose to a good eyeball vent there.

No cover creates a control jam risk.

Attachments

• IMG_20130906_112623_831.jpg
    IMG_20130906_112623_831.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 251
Sidewall Vent Kit

I bought these little dandies ( kit costs $18 for 2) and put them on the sidewall for both the front and back seaters. I call them the hurricane vents.
Cheap to buy but it did take a day or two to install. Very effective on the ground in the prop-wash unlike the naca ducts.
In the Van's store under Vent sidewall kit or sidewall vent kit or updated to CA LV-3 ventilators. 2" barn door!

Ralph
C-FGWW

Materials Tip

Like Dan said, a good eyeball vent is needed here. The plastic ones do not seal well.

TIP: When I built my -8 I used a 4 foot section of SCAT duct hose to connect the eyeball vent to NACA vent. Over time with repeated maintenance removal the wound wire internal to the duct separated and allowed the duct to collapse.
My solution was to replace it with SCEET (you could use CEET) with the double wall construction. Hopefully that should prevent further collapse. It is not very difficult to route a new section of ducting in, but my arm looked like it went through a meat grinder afterward.

SCEET and CEET are pricey, and it took about three months to get it through ACS. It took two weeks for my arm to heal.

Back