What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scott's RV14A: N52XL

Painted Interior

This wasn't so bad for the center console bits, but the footwell would have been far easier before assembly. Color match to the leather is spot on. Should look classy.

Paint Interior Center Panels.jpg

Paint Interior Footwell.jpg

Interior Upholstery Begins

Over the past few days I have been fitting the interior upholstery. Finally got all the holes drilled, brackets attached and the side trim fitted today. This interior is from Classic Aero Designs, and, for the most part, the instructions are very good. A few little glitches here and there, but altogether, the fit is great and I think it looks spectacular.

More to come tomorrow.

Interior Trim Port.jpg

Interior Trim Starboard.jpg

Wiring Accessories FWF

I finally got all the 'accessories' wired FWF. These include a small 'hot bus' fuse block connected directly to the battery for the 1) battery charger 2) baggage light and 3) stall horn. These items are hot as long as the battery is grounded to the airframe. This way, the baggage light and stall horn can be turned on without switching on the master, as in an early morning pre-flight in the dark.

The external power plug is wired to the master contactor opposite the battery connection so it powers the plane with the master switch off. Separated from the battery unless the master switch is on.

The plug for the engine oil heater powers the straps around the cylinders and the patch glued to the oil cooler.

Wiring for Accessories.jpg

Canopy Assembly Part 1

I started the canopy construction today. After much thought I decided to 'glue' it on with Sikaflex.

And, since my -14A is predrilled for screws and rivets to attach the canopy I decided to fill the holes with epoxy/micro so the holes don't show when the canopy construction is completed. Otherwise, the Sikaflex will ooze through the holes and could pop out if each hole was not perfectly cleaned and primed.

So, I cleaned the canopy side strips and the aft skin, taped underneath with packing tape, and filled the holes. I will sand the outside smooth and it should look nice after painting.

Canopy Frame Hole Plug Epoxy.jpg

Canopy Frame Holes Taped.jpg

Canopy Frame Holes Plugged.jpg

Canopy Rear Holes Plugged.jpg

Canopy assembly Part 1, contin

Sanded the epoxy/micro hole plugs down on the side skirts. Fuse needs a bit more cure as it's in a cooler part of the shop. After these are primed and bodywork done, there will be no trace of them once painted.

Canopy Frame Holes Sanded.jpg

Flap Motor Cover Redone

I had riveted the flap motor cover together prior to painting it, thinking it was covered by carpet. Wrong. So, since I would like the rivets to show, I built another one, painted it, then riveted it. I like the way the rivets stand out from the painted surface rather than covering the universal rivets in paint.

Flap Motor Painted and Riveted.jpg

FWF Cable Routing

I was having trouble figuring out how to route the heavy cables FWF, so enquired to the sparkies on here and got some good advice.

The main 6AWG power to my main bus was the first issue which got resolved by adding some Adels and silicone tape.

Main Bus Wire Contact on Engine Mount.jpg

MAan Bus Wire Secured.jpg

Then, I was concerned the 6AWG starter cable was too tight between the engine (vibrating) and the mount (not vibrating), so I increased the length between the Adels at the engine and the first connection on the engine mount.

Starter Cable Secured.jpg

Then, I separated the fuel line from the starter cable by shortening the starter cable and running it on top the fuel line.

Starter Cable Fuel Line Separation.jpg

Last edited:
Cable FW PassThroughs

I separated the prop control and alternate air cables from the wires per 'best practices' today. I got an eyeball with two cable pass throughs from Double Tee (https://www.firewallfittings.com/contact-us/). Had them make a custom fitting to accommodate two different size cables. Works great. I was dreading the install, but it wasn't too bad. 3 hrs.

This photo shows the three pass throughs on the port side. Two for wires, one for cables.

FW Passthroughs Port Side.jpg

FWF Wire Lashing and Adel Clamps

Been working on getting my race car sold, and been off the airplane for too long, so now that race car is ready to sell, back to work on N52XL.

If anybody wants a fun vintage race ride, this one needs nothing and is ready to race.

Got a bunch of wires lashed together and secured FWF as well as installing a bunch of Adels (ugh). Anyway, only have one more Adel to install tomorrow to secure the plug wires on the starboard side.

711 R Rear 3:4.jpg

Front CLoseup.jpg

FWF Port Side.jpg

FWF Port Top.jpg

FWF Starboard Side.jpg

FWF Port Lower.jpg

Last edited:
Canopy Trimming Time!

This causes me terrific ANXIETY! Maybe because I cracked my first canopy. So, with the correct tool, this time (thanks Larry), I am pressing forward.

Canopy Trimmer.jpg

This tool spins at about a zillion rpm, which is disconcerting, at first. But, with the plastic cutting wheel, it goes through the plexiglass like butter. Keeping it straight is a challenge in my shaky hands, but coarse sand paper should straighten things out when I'm through.

Canopy Trimming.jpg

Glare Shield Painted Canopy Prepped for Sikaflex

Got the glare shield painted today. If I hadn't outsmarted myself, it would have been a lot easier. I painted the forward bit of the canopy frame thinking I would get a head start on painting stuff. Big mistake. I had to scuff all the area where the glare shield flat black paint goes, and I had to remove all the way to the AL the area where the transition is fabricated between the forward frame and the canopy. Not awful, but I hate going backwards.

I also prepped all the surfaces where the canopy contacts the frame in anticipation of Sikaflexing the canopy to the frame. And, prepped the canopy for Sikaflexing, ie, masking all areas not getting the glue treatment.

Scuffed Up
Glare Shield Prep 1.jpg

Painted with Flat Black PPG
Glare Shield Painted.jpg

Masking Removed
Glare Shield Painted Masking Removed.jpg

Sikaflex Prepping, continue

I attached some 1/32" fishing line to the canopy side frame today to allow a gap for the Sikaflex between the aluminum and the plexiglas.

Canopy Spacers Port Side.jpg

When the fishing line is also glued to the side skirt and riveted in place after Sikaflex installation, the gap will be 1/16".

I also drilled and countersunk the frame hoop at the aft end of the canopy frame so the seal could be installed.

This is a picture from the underside showing the nylocs and the retainer strip that captures the seal.

Canopy Seal Fasteners Underside.jpg

Once the canopy frame is closed, the seal closes the gap between the frame and rollbar.

Works good.

Canopy Seal Fitted 2.jpg

Canopy Seal Closed.jpg

Canopy Seal Closeup Port.jpg

Canopy Seal Installed.jpg

Canopy Masking and Shim Prep

The two things that other builders (Thanks Larry and Keith) emphasize when Sikaflexing a canopy are masking and shims. The masking to keep the Sika primer and Sika adhesive away from places you don't want it and the shims to make sure there is adequate gap for the Sika to reside between the plexiglass and the aluminum.

On the sides of the canopy I opted for a 1/32" gap created by some fly fishing float line superglued to the frame.

Two layers of tape (Frog, I am told, works best to keep the thin primer from migrating under the tape). The green will get covered in primer and then peeled off before the adhesive is applied. Since no primer will be present on the yellow tape, the adhesive will not stick to it and when the yellow is peeled off, a nice clean edge will be created. Brilliant.

The little angles clamped to the rollbar locate the rear of the canopy.

Canopy Masking and Shim Prep.jpg

The shims on the aft hoop of the frame required more attention since the hoop elevation does not exactly match the rollbar elevation near the top. So, fishing line was used at the bottom of the frame where the plane of the frame and the rollbar are equal. But, at the top of the frame and rollbar, there is a difference of 0.040". So a shim of that dimension is placed under a shim of 0.060". This is provide a gap of 0.100" on the frame and 0.060" on the rollbar making the elevation of the canopy match the rear window at the top.

Canopy Masking and Shim Prep 2.jpg

Canopy Masking and Shim Prep 3.jpg

Canopy Polishing and Masking

I sanded and polished the aft edge of the canopy where the BIG TRIM was done with the Dremel SuperMax cutoff wheel.

First P80, then P180, P400, P800 then Novus polishes. The edge is nice and shiny, now. Looks good. Feels good.

Canopy Polish.jpg

Canopy Polished Edge.jpg

Canopy Polished Edge 2.jpg

After polishing the edge, I put the final masking tapes on prior to applying the Sikaflex products. The green tape will keep the primer from getting places it's not wanted. After pulling the green tape off, the yellow tape underneath will keep the Sikaflex 295UV contained within its borders.

Canopy Final Mask.jpg

Now, I just need to recruit two helpers from my offspring to assist. I think one son will reside inside the fuse to tool the Sika along the inside horizontal edges on each side and along the inside of the hoop, then pull the yellow Frog tape. The other son will help with attaching the side skirts containing Sikaflex with clecos. We will both tool the exterior Sikaflex, then pull the tape. I hope this works!

Offspring

I sanded and polished the aft edge of the canopy where the BIG TRIM was done with the Dremel SuperMax cutoff wheel.

First P80, then P180, P400, P800 then Novus polishes. The edge is nice and shiny, now. Looks good. Feels good.

View attachment 41284

View attachment 41286

View attachment 41285

After polishing the edge, I put the final masking tapes on prior to applying the Sikaflex products. The green tape will keep the primer from getting places it's not wanted. After pulling the green tape off, the yellow tape underneath will keep the Sikaflex 295UV contained within its borders.

View attachment 41283

Now, I just need to recruit two helpers from my offspring to assist. I think one son will reside inside the fuse to tool the Sika along the inside horizontal edges on each side and along the inside of the hoop, then pull the yellow Frog tape. The other son will help with attaching the side skirts containing Sikaflex with clecos. We will both tool the exterior Sikaflex, then pull the tape. I hope this works!

Sounds like one offspring got the short straw. I wonder gow many days he has to live in the fuse before the canopy can be opened! Kidding. You got this.

Canopy Glued On!

Milestone!

Canopy got affixed to the frame tonight.

With the help of my son, Bryan and my buddy, Larry, we got the canopy Sikaflexed to the frame. It is a three man job. One person inside to tool the oozing Sika around the perimeter, one person on each side to tool the Sika from those edges.

Spread the Sika around the frame, set the canopy on the frame and clamped it lightly to the hoop, then spread the Sika to the side skirts, clecoed them in place, tooled the extra Sika out from the edges, and had a beer.

We'll wait 48 hours for it to set, then remove the clamps and see if it tips.

Canopy Glued On Front.jpg

Canopy Glued On Port.jpg

Canopy Faring Begun

I prepped for the canopy faring the past couple of days by cutting all the fabric (carbon cloth) for the epoxy layup and scuffing the cowl and the canopy with P80 paper.

Plans say set aside 4 hours for the layup and I used every minute of that. Also, used carbon fiber cloth instead of glass cloth because I had some and it's easier to cut into narrow strips without raveling. Also, it's higher tech, so why not?

Canopy Faring port side.jpg

Canopy faring port closeup.jpg

It looks smoother than this pic appears. Actually, the curvature is quite close to the 4" radius called for in the plans.

I didn't Sikaflex the forward part of the canopy, but used the little fabricated clips and pop riveted them to the cowl as per plans.

Canopy Faring carbon buildup closeup.jpg

The final step before sanding to shape is peel ply on top, let it cure, sand to shape. This canopy is never coming loose. And, touch wood, won't crack. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Canopy Faring with Peel Ply.jpg

I also wanted to include some closeups of the Sikaflex results from a couple days ago. Those upper holes on the canopy rail are where the screws would go through to attach the canopy. I closed them up with epoxy/balloons for extra slickness.

This process worked out great and I would do it again instead of risking cracking another canopy with sharp tools.

Sikaflex on port side rail.jpg

Sikaflex on port side rail closeup.jpg

Sikaflex on frame hoop.jpg

Skaflex frame hoop closeup.jpg

The lack of screws, albeit countersunk, should give me at least +0.1KTAS:D

Last edited:
Canopy Faring Bodywork

I removed the peel ply the morning and began searching for a block to sand the radius to 4" . Turns out the back of a rubber sanding block is an exact fit. Nice. Saved time required to fabricate it.

Canopy Sanding Faring.jpg

Once the initial epoxy is sanded to match the top of the electrical tape, any low spots can be filled with a mixture of epoxy and 401. I like this stuff better than bondo because it is basically the same epoxy used previously, but filled with a very easy to sand filler. Makes a nice finish.

Canopy faring 1st Bondo Applic.jpg

Canopy Faring Front View Bondo.jpg

Canopy Faring Bodywork, contin

Shaped the Epoxy and 401 today. Then, removed the electrical tape.

Canopy Faring Tape Removed.jpg

Canopy Faring Tape Removed Closeup.jpg

Now, the ridge created by the electrical tape needs to be tapered. So, I placed some more electrical tape 1/2" from where the epoxy ends. I then added some epoxy and 401 to the ridge. I will sand this to a feathered taper after it cures, then prime it.

Canopy Faring Taped for Taper.jpg

Canopy Faring Epoxy for Tapering.jpg

Canon Faring Bodywork, contin

Sanded the feathered edge of the faring this morning, then rolled on some primer surfacer. I will roll on some more primer surfacer to cover all the P80 grit scratches, then sand all with P180. After that, I will prime again and then paint.

Canopy Feathered Edge.jpg

Canopy Primered Feather.jpg

After the first primer surfacer dried, I removed the electrical tape on the forward edge, sanded it all down with P180 to remove the P80 scratches and taper the forward edge, then applied a second coat of primer surfacer. Tomorrow this will get glazing putty to fill any pinholes and remaining P80 scratches the primer surfacer didn't get. Then, it all gets sanded again with P220 prior to final primer.

Canopy 1st Primer Sanded.jpg

Canopy Primer Surfacer.jpg

Canopy 2nd Primer Coat.jpg

Last edited:

I sanded off the primer surfacer from yesterday which identified some spots that required glazing putty to fill. Also, put a little body filler in the transition to the side rail to, hopefully, make the transition smoother.

Canopy Second Primer Sanded.jpg

After applying another coat of primer, two locations appeared that require more smoothing on the port side where the canopy enters the side rails. The starboard side looks very smooth, but I want the transition on the port side to be more invisible.

Canopy Faring Primer Coat 4.jpg

So, I sanded the areas shown previously to get rid of the bulge where the faring met the skin on the port side. I couldn't get the faring to match the surrounding skin below it by just sanding, so had to apply a thin layer of epoxy and 401 to fill the valley a bit. I also added a little more epoxy and 401 to the tapered transition where the canopy meets the side skin to smooth this area out.

Sanded the previous primer surfacer with P180 and now there are very few areas that appear higher than the surrounding primer and should blend nicely. So, now these areas can be urethane primered and sanded with P400 to accept the paint.

Canopy Faring Primer 5 and epox port side.jpg

Canopy Faring Primer 5 sanded epox port side.jpg

Sanded the epoxy-401 layer placed yesterday to smooth out the remaining dips at the faring canopy interface. Primer surfacer next and P180 sanding should make this transition smooth and seamless.

Canopy Faring Port Side Bodywork.jpg

Primed the canopy faring all around and riveted the side skirts with the help of my buckingbarmeister son.

Next step is P400 of the primer and paint!

Going to complete the canopy starting tomorrow with the forward seals.

Canopy Faring Port Side Final Primer.jpg

Canopy Faring Port Side Primer 2.jpg

Canopy Faring Port Side PRimer 3.jpg

Canopy Faring Tipped First Time.jpg

Sanded the primer with P400 today. Looks and feels good. No more bodywork needed. Also, started installing the front seals, but will wait to complete this installation as well as the side seals after I remove the canopy from the fuse. While the canopy was attached, I installed the locating pins on the side rails and drilled the side rail to accept the locating plate.

Canopy Faring P400 Sanded.jpg

Canopy Faring P400 Sanded Closeup.jpg

Canopy Side Pin.jpg

Canopy and Window Fitment

Got the canopy mostly done by adding all the seals to the side skirts and forward edge. Hinge seals are left to do. So, started fitting the window today. Cut it to fit and polished the forward end. A quick fit to see if it all lines up. Sikaflex will be next.

Canopy and Window Fitted.jpg

Window Install

During the last three days I prepped the window for install. Marked where the fuse met the lexan and sanded the surfaces well in preparation for mating. Then, masked everywhere I didn't want the primer/Sikaflex and glued it onto the fuse.

Here's a kind of step by step:

I painted the baggage area months ago. Problem is, the Sikaflex needs bare metal for max grip. So, I sanded off the paint, primer, etch primer with P60.

Window P80 Treatment.jpg

Window P80 Starboard.jpg

You really can't have too many clamps. And, the supports to push the window against the fuse worked great. This takes at least two people to make sure everything is lined up correctly.

Window Clamped and Supported.jpg

Roll Servo Safety

I put a safety on the roll servo to prevent an over center issue. Seemed easy enough, except the bracket provided by Dynon interfered with some mounting holes. So, the bracket had to be cut down for clearance. No biggie.

Roll Servo Safety.jpg

Canopy and Window are Done!

A milestone for sure. Canopy and window are installed and fit well.

Canopy and Window Installed.jpg

Next, I took off the canopy so I could prep the sills for paint. This will be easier to do now so the interior can be installed and the locating pin receivers can be riveted in place. Better to paint the sill now so I don't have to mask stuff later.

I also filled all the holes in the center of the blind rivets for a cleaner look after painting.

Fuse Sills Primed.jpg

Fuse Sill Starboard.jpg

Since I have to wait for the urethane primer to set I prepped the canopy for paint by sanding the interface between the faring and the Lexan. This makes a nice smooth transition so it will not be obvious how the Lexan is attached.

Canopy Faring Ready for Paint.jpg

The next step in the build is wiring the panel. So, the first wires I decided to attach are the main 6AWG wire from the contactors and the 18 AWG power wire to the alternator circuit breakers. Only eleventy seven more to go! But, it's a start.

Fuse Panel Wiring Begun.jpg

I put a safety on the roll servo to prevent an over center issue. Seemed easy enough, except the bracket provided by Dynon interfered with some mounting holes. So, the bracket had to be cut down for clearance. No biggie.

View attachment 42935

It appears that 2 bolts on the bell crank are too short. I’ve also attached a picture that was sent to me on how I should do my cotter pins, less lethal.
View rece1.jpeg
There is a post on VAF about the aileron pushrod shop head rivets where they protrude through the opening in the aft spar. The shop heads caught the spar during ground work and jammed it. I checked mine and they are close but not able to catch. Check those. Nice work on canopy, I’ll be there soon…hopefully.

It appears that 2 bolts on the bell crank are too short. I’ve also attached a picture that was sent to me on how I should do my cotter pins, less lethal.
View attachment 43020
There is a post on VAF about the aileron pushrod shop head rivets where they protrude through the opening in the aft spar. The shop heads caught the spar during ground work and jammed it. I checked mine and they are close but not able to catch. Check those. Nice work on canopy, I’ll be there soon…hopefully.

Good catch on the bolts. But, they have not been tightened. I checked. I will make a note, though, so I don’t forget.
Thanks.

Sill Finishing

I filled the scratches in the sill created by sanding off the epoxy filling the holes in the center of the rivets yesterday. Today, I sanded the filler smooth and primed over it. Another two coats of primer (1 hour between coats) and I will sand with P400 before painting tomorrow.

Sill Scratches Filled.jpg

Sill Scratches FIlled and Primered.jpg

Sills Painting

Fortunately, I bought stock in 3M before masking this off!

This job would have been 1000 times easier if the painting had been done before assembling the sills. But, then I would not have been able to hide the rivets. I like the clean look, and actually, this project only cost 3 days. One half day for masking! That, being today.

I will clear coat this afternoon after the base coat has 2+ hrs to cure.

Final primer sanded with P400:
Sill Final Prime.jpg

Basecoat
Sill Basecoated.jpg

Once the clear is cured I will be able to install the panel wiring and interior.

Last edited:
Sills Painted

Got the clear on last night so today I can remove the masking and attach the side pin frames. Wiring of panel begins today!

Sill Clearcoated from aft.jpg

Sill Clearcoated.jpg

Sills Complete Wiring Interior Begins

Got the sill pin locators mounted to sills.

IMG_7665.jpg

IMG_7666.jpg

Then, I started thinking about mounting the new fuel pump before finishing the wiring through the tunnel to the panel and realized I had not mounted the fuel filters in the wing roots. So, I did that after an email to Steve at Aircraft Specialties to verify the 40 micron Holley filter was the correct one. It is. So, I mounted it and the valve at the wing.

IMG_7673.jpg

Once that was done I completed the wiring of the sticks. I put a dSub on the pilot sude and a molex on the other. I may change the clunky dsub to a molex, though.

IMG_7674.jpg

IMG_7675.jpg

Last edited:
Fuel Filters at Wing Root

I mounted the fuel filters and valves in the wing roots today. These are pre filters that I got from Aircraft Specialties to go with the AFP Auxiliary fuel pump in the cabin. Mounting the starboard valve required a bit of fabrication since the Adel clamp did not align well with the skin. I had to extend the skin a bit.

Fuel Filter Valve Starb Wing Root.jpg

This wasn't necessary on the port side.

Fuel Filter Valve Wing Root.jpg

Fuel Pump in Tunnel

I tidied up the wiring coming from emp/wings/seats through the tunnel to the panel and secured it to the tunnel. Then, I test-mounted the auxiliary fuel pump to see how it fit. Fits well. Should be no problem to get it hooked up.

Fuel Pump in Tunnel.jpg

Back