What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List

Rock, it seems overwhelming at first. But your first few cross countries will alleviate all of that.

I know there is so much more my panel can do than I will ever even realize. I am still installing it so maybe it will be much easier to learn that I think - but the LA phone book size manual make me wonder.

I would love to take a 1-2 day course learning what everything does, setting it up, and flight examples. It might require a simulator but a panel set up for sure.

I would travel for the course. Maybe there is someone offering G3X Touch training?

I can't wait to get this all installed and powered up!!

It really is not that difficult but...
Check out this recent posting:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=123167

I'm assuming Garmin will release an update for Oshkosh, it's been a while since 3.6 came out on 4-7-2015

Is g3xpert going to share any of the sneak previews with us?

Are there any plans to add more voice alerts to the G3X Touch system? I sorta want more than just the dings and bongs, my GTN has a similar sounding alert and it's hard to keep them separate when the cockpit is busy

Anyone else have features they're hoping for?

I'm assuming Garmin will release an update for Oshkosh, it's been a while since 3.6 came out on 4-7-2015

Is g3xpert going to share any of the sneak previews with us?

Are there any plans to add more voice alerts to the G3X Touch system? I sorta want more than just the dings and bongs, my GTN has a similar sounding alert and it's hard to keep them separate when the cockpit is busy

Anyone else have features they're hoping for?

I'd love to have more voice alerts too - airspeed and RPM for example.

I'm also interested in an update from the Garmin team responding to the ADS-B announcements for 2016, similar to what we saw from Dynon on the subject. Or is a surprise that has to wait until Oshkosh? I did see the "inside" info about a certified GPS source coming soon....

Any chance for a G3X Touch advanced features seminar at OSH15? The presentations I saw last year were great, but they seemed geared more towards showing off feature to potential customers. I'd love to see something for people that have the system installed, and want to get the most out of them!

Any chance for a G3X Touch advanced features seminar at OSH15? The presentations I saw last year were great, but they seemed geared more towards showing off feature to potential customers. I'd love to see something for people that have the system installed, and want to get the most out of them!

I asked them directly about the same thing... Got told that there isn't one. Only a 2hr class on the GTN at the hotel next to friar trucks. And it's $50 for that class. REALLY? I just spent $XX,000,000,000 etc on your products and I still need to pay for a class?

I asked them directly about the same thing... Got told that there isn't one. Only a 2hr class on the GTN at the hotel next to friar trucks. And it's $50 for that class. REALLY? I just spent $XX,000,000,000 etc on your products and I still need to pay for a class?

gotta keep the riff raff out, paying for the class should increase the quality of participants and instruction, it's just $50? pilots are cheap!

GTR20 Discrete Inputs

Can the unused discrete input on the GTR 20 comm be configured to scroll through user stored frequencies directly in the STBY window? This would allow frequency selection and loading without touching the display.

I'm also interested in an update from the Garmin team responding to the ADS-B announcements for 2016, similar to what we saw from Dynon on the subject. Or is a surprise that has to wait until Oshkosh? I did see the "inside" info about a certified GPS source coming soon....

I'm hoping there is a reason why Garmin (so far) has been mum about the ADS-B "downgrade" announced by the FAA.... And I hope feds are ready for some "feedback" from pilots who are trying to be helpful by upgrading their aircraft early....

i'm surprised Garmin has not announced anything yet for Oshkosh, this is atypical of them compared to previous years, usually they have done a sneak preview by now

maybe if Dynon/AFS does theirs, Garmin will follow ?

I would like to have an option of a read out of "Height above Ground" on the G3X Touch.
Not instead of Altitude, but in addition. Does not need to be anywhere prominent.

It is available on an iPad nav app, and I find it is very useful.
I have not yet received my G3X Touch so this maybe already there.
John

Last edited:
I would like to have an option of a read out of "Height above Ground" on the G3X Touch.
Not instead of Altitude, but in addition. Does not need to be anywhere prominent...

I once again request an AGL readout. The logical place for it would be between the altimeter setting and the altimeter tape. Just move the alt setting window down a bit and put the AGL in between.

Heinrich

I once again request an AGL readout. The logical place for it would be between the altimeter setting and the altimeter tape. Just move the alt setting window down a bit and put the AGL in between.

Heinrich
I don't think your going to convince Garmin to put an an AGL readout on the PFD. Some brainiac would treat it like a radar altimeter and crash into the ground on an approach. I can just see it now..."John had a hard time remembering DA altitudes like 373 feet, so he just would fly the approach to 200 feet indicated on the AGL readout. His family's lawyer has recommended they sue Garmin". Maybe on the map or terrain page.

I don't think your going to convince Garmin to put an an AGL readout on the PFD. Some brainiac would treat it like a radar altimeter and crash into the ground on an approach. I can just see it now..."John had a hard time remembering DA altitudes like 373 feet, so he just would fly the approach to 200 feet indicated on the AGL readout. His family's lawyer has recommended they sue Garmin". Maybe on the map or terrain page.

Agree, it doesnt belong as tape on the PFD. If they want it somewhere else, fine. Having flown all over this great country, I am still racking my brain as to when and if I would ever use an approximation of absolute altitude. I guess to each their own.

Agree, it doesnt belong as tape on the PFD. If they want it somewhere else, fine. Having flown all over this great country, I am still racking my brain as to when and if I would ever use an approximation of absolute altitude. I guess to each their own.

I didn't say as a tape. I meant as a small digital readout in the same formfactor as the alt setting.

I had an AGL readout on my old BMA Efis1 and looked at it more often than I ever thought I would, and miss not having it with the G3X. Guess you have to have had one to understand!

And robimagu, that makes it likely to use as lawsuit fodder? Really? How's this different than any other non-certified GPS-derived info?

AGL ALT

If you have the panel space for a GRT, Mini X You will have your AGL altitude displayed any time you have the SAP( Synthetic Approach) activated. It prompts you to verify your local /current altimeter setting before activating.

If you don't have panel space. The GRT Mini X will sit quite clean on top of the glare shield just below the cowl nose line of sight. It makes a great cross check for any GPS or ILS approach.

AGL can be displayed as a user selectable field on the GNS and GTN series GPS units

it can be helpful, especially if you suspect your static port may have iced over, and should perhaps be part of the scan in icing

Dual Cue Flight Director

I'm currently still in the wishing/designing-in-my-head phase (have to get the kids through college then build a garage before I get to the real fun part so there's no hurry ;)) but I understand that while the original G3X had the dual cue FD, the Touch does not. I'm impressed with the features of the G3X Touch and a choice on the FD would make it a slam dunk.

I'm currently still in the wishing/designing-in-my-head phase (have to get the kids through college then build a garage before I get to the real fun part so there's no hurry ;)) but I understand that while the original G3X had the dual cue FD, the Touch does not. I'm impressed with the features of the G3X Touch and a choice on the FD would make it a slam dunk.

Hello Gillegan,

The G3X Touch system certainly supports either a single-cue or dual-cue flight director. For further information, please see page 253 of the current G3X Touch Pilot's Guide (rev E).

- Matt

The G3X Touch has the option for single cue or dual cue flight director indicator types.

Page 252 of the REV E G3X Touch Pilots Guide.

Edit: I type too slow! G3Xpert beat me to the punch!

Hello Gillegan,

The G3X Touch system certainly supports either a single-cue or dual-cue flight director. For further information, please see page 253 of the current G3X Touch Pilot's Guide (rev E).

- Matt

Wow, that was fast. A slam dunk it is then (of course who knows what will be available when I finally get to putting the thing together). Thanks for the reply.

AGL can be displayed as a user selectable field on the GNS and GTN series GPS units

it can be helpful, especially if you suspect your static port may have iced over, and should perhaps be part of the scan in icing

Brian,

I tried to find this on my GTN 650 this weekend and was unable.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Better smart airspace display

I'm having lots of fun getting some stick time using the 10" G3X touch in my -12. There's lots to like but there is one feature that my old Gen 1 GRT does better - airspace display.

Flying around the DFW airspace, there are plenty of opportunities to bust a Class B altitude. The GRT display is totally intuitive and you would have to be asleep to bust an altitude.

The airspace rings on the GRT change from blue to yellow if you are at an altitude that will cause you to enter an airspace segment. As soon as you descend (or climb) to be clear of the airspace, the rings turn back to blue.

The G3X has faint blue lines and heavier blue lines, but the heavy blue lines don't seem to be definite an indicator that you are going to enter the airspace. I have to take extra steps to verify the altitude limits of the sector I'm approaching.

Altitudes on Flight plan

On the wish side.

Being able to input an altitude at a fix in the flight plan (like on an arrival) and then having a VSR (vertical speed required) box at each point would be FMS like and very useful, especially in the inset box.

I need to display manifold pressure on main screen - how???

I just installed a single display G3x touch (GDU-460) in my Velocity STD-RG, which has an MT constant speed prop.

Yea, I know - I'm in the wrong place! But, you guys know so much!

I'm sure hoping that there is a way to display manifold pressure setting on what I'll call the "small" engine display, which I've got set to show on the left side of the main screen. It's gotta be configurable - but how? And... I can't believe that Garmin would set up the G3X system and not allow for the possibility of aircraft with constant speed props!

Does anyone know how to configure the small engine display typically shown on the main screen?

THANKS!

Dave

Go through the set up and make sure you've configured the input first off, then it's just a matter of making sure the g3x knows to show it on the side panel, it's right there on my single display.

The config section of the manual is pretty helpful.

Requested Feature,
I have a G3x touch and a Rotax 912 IS Sport. The G3x uses the Can-bus to grab and display data like temps/fuel flow etc. BUT it does not allow me to access all of the data I want, specifically the Can-bus based Inlet air temp. This should be easy to add in as the code already accesses the can-bus ??

So my request is for the software to access all of the Can based data

Thanks

GlennM

Requested Feature,
I have a G3x touch and a Rotax 912 IS Sport. The G3x uses the Can-bus to grab and display data like temps/fuel flow etc. BUT it does not allow me to access all of the data I want, specifically the Can-bus based Inlet air temp. This should be easy to add in as the code already accesses the can-bus ??

So my request is for the software to access all of the Can based data

Thanks

GlennM

I have the same engine, it would be great if the G3X Touch could also read engine faults instead of my having to wire up the diagnostic software on a computer after I land.

I'd like the ability to display GDL-39R FIS-B info on either display (in a dual display setup.) Currently, it's only available to the GDU that the serial line is physically connected to.

I'd like the ability to display GDL-39R FIS-B info on either display (in a dual display setup.) Currently, it's only available to the GDU that the serial line is physically connected to.

Hello maus92,

Although it is true that the GDL 39 supports only a single wired RS-232 connection, you may optionally display FIS-B weather information on a second GDU 4xx display using the Bluetooth interface. This is documented in section 8.11 of the G3X Touch pilot's guide: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01754-00_E.pdf

- Matt

Looks like 4.10 is now out, can we get a mailing list or some sort of official notification going Garmin? Maybe they already have it and i'm the odd man out

Changes made from version 4.00 to 4.10:
Add support for UMA N1EU70D 0-70 PSI differential fuel pressure sensor
Add support for configuring Vne in terms of true airspeed using a different value from indicated Vne
Add support for high-resolution SXM TFR data
Add support for ETE To Destination and ETA At Destination fields in data bar
Add menu option to transponder page to test Mode S ALT reporting when on the ground
Add option to configure external light flash priority
Improve Connext Bluetooth interface
Improve weather data processing
Improve contrast when editing numeric values for PFD bugs and baro setting
Improve configuration pages
Improve gauge display for turbine engine torque and RPM
Improve display of highlighted traffic targets
Improve GPS data sharing between displays
General improvements to system operation
Includes update to GSU25 software version 3.50
Includes GAD27 software version 2.00
Includes GAD29 software version 2.20
Includes GDL39 software version 4.60
Includes GEA24 software version 2.60
Includes GI260 software version 2.70
Includes GPS20A software version 2.10
Includes GSA28 software version 3.00
Includes GSU73 software version 3.40
Includes GTR20/200 software version 2.70

I might be a little paranoid about flap position sensor failure but.......

Unless I'm mistaken it looks like you can't set a 'max run time' for the flaps in the way that you can with the trim. This would be useful to protect against some form of position sensor failure if you're not using the optional end point microswitches.

Maybe it could also have functionality to quickly disable the flap position sensor operation completely, via the touch screen, so that you can still 'manually' raise and lower the flaps if the flap position sensor does fail?

It might also be useful if the system could provide backup control via the touch screen to allow trims to be returned to centre and flaps raised/lowered (as long as this doesn't introduce worse failure mechanisms) as an emergency redundant backup.

Setup the new ETAD (estimated time arrival at destination)

It consistently displayed the central time ETAD when my destination was in eastern time zone- is that the intent of the setting?

I might be a little paranoid about flap position sensor failure but.......

Unless I'm mistaken it looks like you can't set a 'max run time' for the flaps in the way that you can with the trim. This would be useful to protect against some form of position sensor failure if you're not using the optional end point microswitches.

Hello siclick33,

The GAD 27 does not have a user-configurable maximum run time for the flap motor, but if the flap position sensor gets "stuck", it is smart enough to not run the motor forever. There are various ways one could imagine a flap position sensor misbehaving, but the GAD 27 is designed such that none of them will ever prevent the pilot from raising or lowering the flaps if he really wants to.

- Matt

Setup the new ETAD (estimated time arrival at destination)

It consistently displayed the central time ETAD when my destination was in eastern time zone- is that the intent of the setting?

Hello Brian,

The ability to display a field showing estimated time of arrival at the destination waypoint in the data bar simply repeats the same ETA information that was always available on the flight plan page. These values are always displayed using the currently selected system time zone.

- Matt

Hello Brian,

The ability to display a field showing estimated time of arrival at the destination waypoint in the data bar simply repeats the same ETA information that was always available on the flight plan page. These values are always displayed using the currently selected system time zone.

- Matt

Feature Request - ETAD displays time at destination timezone :)

there was a Super Bowl party planning incident that involved relying on that ETAD field to determine when guests should arrive, it said ETAD: 16:11 which of course ended up being 17:11 EST

She was happy she did the military time conversion, not so forgiving when I explained the fancy avionics don't factor in time zones

4.10 does seem more stable, I intentionally tried to reproduce my bluetooth-induced software reboots and was not able to, thanks for all the hard work you guys do

The short answer is no, G3X does not push it's internal flight plan to the GTN. You can enter flight plans directly on the GTN or using Garmin Pilot and importing via Connext.
Brian,

Apologies for possibly repeating a question, but pushing an IFR flight plan to the GTN from Garmin Pilot requires *only* the G3X Touch's Connext capability...no Flightstream required?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
Airspace upper/lower floors on G3X

I love the new "always on" floor limits for airspace's on Garmin Pilot app.
Will that soon be coming to the G3X displays????

Brian,

Apologies for possibly repeating a question, but pushing an IFR flight plan to the GTN from Garmin Pilot requires *only* the G3X Touch's Connext capability...no Flightstream required?

Thanks,

Dave

I have no flightstream and only GTN and G3x touch and it worked for me via Connext

G3X Touch: In split screen mode, I'd like to have any page available on both sides of the display. Currently, one side is limited to only a few page choices (I think Map, Chart, PFD?,) which is selected in the setup menu. I'd like the flexibility to use the knobs on both sides of the screen to scroll through all pages on both sides of the display.

GTN Integration

Took my first long cross country over the weekend with the radio controls on my GTN 650 enabled on the G3X touch--LOVE IT!!

Just two things I regularly wish it did now that it doesn't. The fact that there's no way to send a flight plan from the G3X to the GTN is really odd--that I can send it from Foreflight on my iPad through the G3X to the GTN is amazing, but I should be able to do the same from the G3X.

Got an interesting modification to my IFR route the other day (complete change with V airways etc.) and loaded the direct-to for the first VOR in the GTN, and started off, but didn't want to mess with editing the flight plan on it for the very complicated route I'd been given. Had no choice but to plan it in Foreflight and send it over. Worked well, but with the panel I have I'd prefer not to be dependent on something not built-in for an important function like that.

Second thing is I can't display the time to VNAV as one of the data displays on the top of the screen. Am I just missing something? I'm constantly having to menu up on the main screen to check it. I can let the autopilot automatically pick it up, but when I'm IFR I can't, but I like to use it as a reference for when I should be reminding ATC to clear me lower.

Thanks!

Took my first long cross country over the weekend with the radio controls on my GTN 650 enabled on the G3X touch--LOVE IT!!

This is my favorite new thing as well! Love the ease of freq lookups on the G3X!

Just two things I regularly wish it did now that it doesn't. The fact that there's no way to send a flight plan from the G3X to the GTN is really odd--that I can send it from Foreflight on my iPad through the G3X to the GTN is amazing, but I should be able to do the same from the G3X.

Got an interesting modification to my IFR route the other day (complete change with V airways etc.) and loaded the direct-to for the first VOR in the GTN, and started off, but didn't want to mess with editing the flight plan on it for the very complicated route I'd been given. Had no choice but to plan it in Foreflight and send it over. Worked well, but with the panel I have I'd prefer not to be dependent on something not built-in for an important function like that.
I've found that you can... kinda. You can build a flight plan on the G3XT and then send it to the GTN, just like you can with the iPad. (Going from memory now) I think you just hit the menu button from the flight plan page, and send to GTN should be an option.

However, I don't think you can do this when you're in flight and you're running the AP off the GTN's flight plan. Think about it this way. When you tell the G3X that it should follow the directions of the GTN, it's just displaying a read only version of what the GTN has loaded for the flight plan. And the autopilot in the G3X is going to fly that. To edit a flight plan, you need to switch the flight plan source to internal, which I believe will also switch the AP source to internal. Now you're flying whatever you had set up as a flight plan in the G3X before.

It would be nice if you could edit a GTN flight plan "on the fly" from the G3X (while it's on the external source), but my gut feeling is that this will be tough to do.

Second thing is I can't display the time to VNAV as one of the data displays on the top of the screen. Am I just missing something? I'm constantly having to menu up on the main screen to check it. I can let the autopilot automatically pick it up, but when I'm IFR I can't, but I like to use it as a reference for when I should be reminding ATC to clear me lower.

Thanks!

This has been possible since v4.0. It should be there if your software version is up to date. This is one of my favorite data fields.

Baro Data Field from ADSB

I have a data field on my Aera 795 that shows the ADSB baro setting. I wish this field was available as a data field on the G3X.

I love my G3X with GTN650 setup. It is a great, rock solid IFR platform.

One feature I would really like to see is some sort of oil timer. Not a big deal, but it would be really nice to have a timer that tells me how many hours I have on my oil change.

-Dan

Oil

I second the oil timer. I sent the Garmin guys an email asking about it because I thought it might be one more thing I missed in the documentation. Doesn't seem like it should be too hard to implement since the engine time is already there?

Jim

I have a data field on my Aera 795 that shows the ADSB baro setting. I wish this field was available as a data field on the G3X.

Hello Rick,

The Data Fields tab on the INFO page allows you to view all of the weather datalink fields including baro setting, winds, temperature, and dewpoint (provided by the nearest METAR).

Thanks,
Steve

Back