What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boroscope advice needed

rleffler

Well Known Member
There have been several boroscopes recommended over the last couple of days.

I think I have my decision narrowed down to two Teslong models

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YGNWL44/ref=rider_mobile_desktop?

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Articulating-Teslong-Inspection-Articulation-Videoscope/dp/B09ZV7N88H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?

Since I don’t have any direct experience, I’m soliciting some opinions based upon your practical experience. Clearly there is a significant price difference between these two units. What are the pros and cons of the two view (or perhaps even the three view version) cameras versus a camera with an articulating head?

In my mind the question appears to be if the side cameras can easily view areas that you would typically use an articulating head to see. Then that raises the question about the radius of the cable when you turn the camera’s direction. Have you found an item that you couldn’t easily get in to look at in your RV or engine?

Thanks!

Bob

Bob,
Another plus 1 for articulating tip and also some of these with flexible boom are too soft and would not hold the semi up right position, which makes it harder to use. If you get one with flexible shaft, I would highly recommend one with semi rigide boom.

More options

Bob,

Definitely get an articulating model!

+2 It's difficult to impossible to view the valves in an engine cylinder using a bore-scope with mirrors attached. Plus there is the issue that you might knock the mirror off while inside the area being viewed.

Linked below is a less expensive bore-scope that articulates. This brand also has an excellent review in Kitplanes. See

https://www.kitplanes.com/oasis-inspection-camera/

https://tinyurl.com/57jdztjh

https://tinyurl.com/ye22k655

I have used both (I borescope at every oil change, so 3 to 4 times a year), the side view camera sounds like a great option, but it's much more difficult to get a good view of the valves compared to the articulating version. With the articulating head I'm able to get any view of the valves, seats, stems I need. The side view camera can get these views but it takes A LOT more messing with the angle to get a decent view and even then it's not as good as what can be had with the articulating head.

I vote 100% articulating over side view.

I have used both (I borescope at every oil change, so 3 to 4 times a year), the side view camera sounds like a great option, but it's much more difficult to get a good view of the valves compared to the articulating version. With the articulating head I'm able to get any view of the valves, seats, stems I need. The side view camera can get these views but it takes A LOT more messing with the angle to get a decent view and even then it's not as good as what can be had with the articulating head.

I vote 100% articulating over side view.

I haven’t found this to be the case.
I have used an articulating camera for years and now have a unit with a tip and a side camera. I don’t find it any more difficult to aim, just different.
It takes some practice to get used to what ever you are using regardless of the style (unless you have been through dental school ;)

Side by Side comparison would be nice.

It's probably a practice thing and what you get good with.

I have a scope with a side view and with the paltry practice I get when I infrequently need it I am frustrated. Spelunking into the wings on a condition inspection I often give up with the scope and grab a mirror. I am totally envious of others' posts of combustion chamber conditions. With my side view I wiggle and twist and straighten the whole length of the wand to get a quarter turn, point my toes, curse, almost give up then suddenly get what I want then lose it before I can get a good look.

Would an articulating unit help me? Need a side by side to answer that, but my gut says yes. I used a four way articulating scope a long time ago and remember that as being really easy.

Camera quality is also a big deal and having bought a few so far I can say that there is a lot of difference out there. Light color and control is also kind of a big deal. I have a unit now that has great light for 6" and further, but up close it seems like it is too dim or all washed out. That washing out also has to do with the gain controls of the camera itself.

I think practice has a lot to do with it. I think I am going for my third camera and it will be articulating at least two ways.

I got the Vividia VA-400. It takes a little goofing around to figure out how to get the video to work. And I wound up getting the Wifi adapter to use it with my iPhone. But, it works just fine.

I have the Articulating Borescope, Teslong Inspection Camera with 3.3ft Flexible Cable, Articulating Head Endoscope-Scope Camera for Engine, 0.33" Dia, 8 LED Lights, Compatible with iOS, iPhone, Android, Case. It works great with my iphone.
One note; let the engine cool down before looking at the valves. It does not like heat. If you use it to comply with SB-00036, the tooling hole (on RV7 at least) needs to be enlarged with U bit.

I haven’t found this to be the case.
I have used an articulating camera for years and now have a unit with a tip and a side camera. I don’t find it any more difficult to aim, just different.
It takes some practice to get used to what ever you are using regardless of the style (unless you have been through dental school ;)

I have the dual lense one mentioned by Bob in the beginning - no mirrors that I can see, just two lenses. I have not tried the articulating head version. I think the articulating head would seem to be easier for cylinder inspection, although I have had no difficulty after a little practice seeing everything I want to see, same as Scott M. using the less expensive one. And that is a major benefit in my opinion. The articulating head is 3.5 times more expensive, and that makes a difference to me. My boroscope has proven its worth in several other areas on my airplane and at home. I boroscoped the inside of the fuel tanks on my used RV6 kit I just finished, as well as the latest HS service bulletin inspection - and other areas on my kit that I needed to see. Plus, we boroscoped my son’s toilet that wasn’t flushing, to find a spaceship that my grandson tried to flush down the sh**ter. The dual angle lense with a push of a button makes viewing much easier. I think both units will do what you want them to.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG