What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 15 on floats

Thebert

I know there has been some talk of the engineering prototype having a little bit longer wing than the production aircraft might have to help it for through hanger doors. Is there any chance the “long wing” might stick around as a wing extension mod / and leading edge droop mods to go along with the float equipped RV - 15?
Even if it only helps a few knots on the slow speed side of the envelope it’s substantial in helping a floatplane get off the water compared to any drag penalty/ loss on the top end especially if you already have floats hanging underneath.
Also the ability to fit through a narrow hangar door isn’t nearly the same issue with a float plane because they are rarely in one and if they do end up in a hanger it’s probably a bigger one anyway due to the door height requirement.

I know it’s super early to be asking these questions but just curious what other people think.

I’m also curious if Vans will develop a float kit? Like a pre punched, CNC aluminum set of amphibious and straight floats, sealed up with proseal, or whatever sealant is appropriate for floats, that we can build at home?

I know it’s super early to be asking these questions but just curious what other people think.

Very early. The wing length *might* change. Not a certain thing. And it already fits in a standard T hangar, as the current wing span on the prototype is 36 ft 6 in. The real question is, does it *need* to be as long as it is now (in combination with several other questions). So, yes - it's early.

We're already thinking about/planning for floats as an option. And we are thinking through the options as to how those might be packaged/etc.

Here in Canada I have a Cessna 172M on floats with a 36 foot wingspan. I have added WingX extensions for and extra 3 feet of wingspan for a total of 39 feet of wing. Increased performance easily 30% off of the water. When I installed the extensions there was 2 stiffeners required on each spar and the Wing extensions are removable in 15 minutes. Would be awesome if the RV15 had the option to add extensions for float operations and extra performance!

FWIW, the only "back country" where I live is lakes. I'm too much of a wuss to fly on skis, so it needs to have floats if I'm ever to build one.

Been involved in a couple float repairs. Risks of landing on remote lakes, is they're unknown and have hidden rocks. Repairs aren't proseal, but usually aluminum boat sealant. "Tin" boats are riveted aluminum, no reason that stuff won't work on floats too.

Just need 4 seats for my family. Tie some fishing poles on the floats, and off we go! I'd love a 180, but that's certified.

FWIW, the only "back country" where I live is lakes. I'm too much of a wuss to fly on skis, so it needs to have floats if I'm ever to build one.

Been involved in a couple float repairs. Risks of landing on remote lakes, is they're unknown and have hidden rocks. Repairs aren't proseal, but usually aluminum boat sealant. "Tin" boats are riveted aluminum, no reason that stuff won't work on floats too.

Just need 4 seats for my family. Tie some fishing poles on the floats, and off we go! I'd love a 180, but that's certified.

I honestly don’t think the RV 15 will ever be a 4 place once it is put on floats, at the end of the day you can only do so much with 210-220hp. I think 2 adults (below 200lbs each) and 2 kids will be doable with half to 2/3 tanks but that’s probably the limit.
4 guys in a 180 can even be a challenge once you add a bunch of gas and glassy water.

Very early. The wing length *might* change. Not a certain thing. And it already fits in a standard T hangar, as the current wing span on the prototype is 36 ft 6 in. The real question is, does it *need* to be as long as it is now (in combination with several other questions). So, yes - it's early.

We're already thinking about/planning for floats as an option. And we are thinking through the options as to how those might be packaged/etc.

For those that can’t get enough Proseal, it will be heaven when a kit is offered.

Attachments

• 690BFF40-3725-485E-8CCD-14BBFABD331D.jpg
    690BFF40-3725-485E-8CCD-14BBFABD331D.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 430
I have seen just regular marine grade boat sealant used on floats. Much cheaper, more availability, easier to work with. Still messy though.

Use existing design ...or start from scratch???

Zenair has made kits floats for quite some time....

AF1QipMnJnn3i2HZhYBDSvNHlTluXHEDBKwfPk1rzkYw

AF1QipMnJnn3i2HZhYBDSvNHlTluXHEDBKwfPk1rzkYw

fiCX6PqnFn7ksqKVA

Last edited:

4 seats in a float plane means you can take 2 people and a bit of stuff. 2 seats means you can do 2 people and go just about nowhere or in reality it becomes a single seater if you're going to take any fuel or things with you.
A true 4 seat float plane you're looking at the 185(and even then limited range), 206/Moose territory.

I hear this 2 is 1 and 4 is 2 argument for bush planes all the time. It is totally bogus. I spent the first part of my life as a homesteading family in Alaska and we were very successful putting 4 people in Pacers, Tripacers, Maules, PA14s, up-engined 170s, and 180s. All of these will haul 4 people and a modest amount of gear off of a lake, frozen or liquid, with a Borer.

Probably not 4 large men, but 2 average couples or a family of 4. Is it necessarily roomy in a Pacer back seat? No but the plane will do it. These are all running on 160-180 hp. Most Alaskans would kill for a 210-230 hp 170 and that would be a totally legit 4 person plane with baggage. Why is it that the experimental market calls that a 2 plus baggage plane?

No one would call a 182 or a Bo a 2 plus baggage plane. They are legit 4 place Aircraft. And a Borer is a great equalizer on floats.

I hear this 2 is 1 and 4 is 2 argument for bush planes all the time. It is totally bogus. I spent the first part of my life as a homesteading family in Alaska and we were very successful putting 4 people in Pacers, Tripacers, Maules, PA14s, up-engined 170s, and 180s. All of these will haul 4 people and a modest amount of gear off of a lake, frozen or liquid, with a Borer.

Probably not 4 large men, but 2 average couples or a family of 4. Is it necessarily roomy in a Pacer back seat? No but the plane will do it. These are all running on 160-180 hp. Most Alaskans would kill for a 210-230 hp 170 and that would be a totally legit 4 person plane with baggage. Why is it that the experimental market calls that a 2 plus baggage plane?

No one would call a 182 or a Bo a 2 plus baggage plane. They are legit 4 place Aircraft. And a Borer is a great equalizer on floats.

After you put them on floats, and if you remotely respect max gross weight, they are. Just because people fly around 20% over gross weight doesn't mean you should.

Actually living and flying bush planes in Alaska, this is very much the case. I cannot put 4 people in a 180 on floats with fuel to go out AND back plus gear to stay there. Maybe if you can find me a mythical American family of 4 where the Adults are 135lbs and the kids are still under 60lbs.

Simple math makes this really easy to see it's the case. On edo 2870s, the useful load is usually just under 800lbs. 780 in ours. 20lbs for our minimum survival gear, 2 200lb males up front. 11gph, 1.5hrs in 1 direction(this doesn't even get you across any of the ranges), so we need a bare minimum of 3.5 hours of fuel, 4 ideally. 38.5gal * 6 = 231lbs. 129lbs left and that will make for a really comfortable 2 week camp, but it's not enough for another person save a rather small one, but that'll be all of that 129lbs and we can't stay because we can't bring anything else. If we start to get realistic on how fat most people are, the 200lbs up front in the right seat is on the low side and people under 129lbs are generally under 10 years old.

It's clearly a 2 seater. Anyone that's flown them legally knows this.

On wheels it's different, but that's not what we're talking about here.

The pacer next to me on floats has a useful load of 610lbs. Lets put 2 hours of fuel on for 96lbs. You found 4 people at an average of 128lbs? Or you just flew it 20+% overweight?

I know a bunch of people with 170s. With the 360 and trailblazer. It's a nice plane. I've never seen one with the back seats in it.

Last edited:
Back