What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-440 push rod

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
The F-440 is the push rod that goes under the passenger's bum. How the **** do you get it in?

I have tried from both ends but the skins get in the way. The only way I can see to do it is to slot the 407 bulkhead which would reduce the strength little. Is this the solution? The plans do not mention it.

Also, I note some years ago there was a fatal when this rod fractured in a -4. Is there anything else I should know? VANS still indicate to build it from aluminum on my plans.

Thanks, Steve.

Steve,
I am working on my flaps/ailerons final assembly right now. I remember that mine was hard to install also. But now that I am on final assembly I?ve found that I?m having to open up the round cutout for that rod in the F-406 ( I think it?s F-406, it?s the one the rear spar is riveted to) bulkhead to get the clearance necessary for aileron control travel. That rod swivels quite a bit with aileron travel, and it?s different between forward and aft stick position. I have ground about 1/8? on both sides of the cutout from about the 2 o?clock position to 5 o?clock and from about 7 o?clock to 10 o?clock. I?m going to have to grind more yet. In guessing 3/16? total. I just did this last weekend. I was thinking that if I had done this before installation it would have been much easier. If you haven?t cut it to approximate length yet, that needs to be done also. If you wish, I can take a picture Saturday and send it.

Cameron Smith
RV4 #68

Steve,
I also did just about what Cameron has described. In my airplane F-440 hit the bulkhead in the side to side motion of the stick. I am not sure what the original size of the hole was but mine is now elongated side to side. Probably about 3/16" as Cameron has done. I still have to flex F-440 just slighly to get it in. It does seem that Van's could change the hole slightly or make a note on the plans to modify as necessary.

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers

Just want to add that I did the same as the previous posts. I also have to flex the tube a wee bit to get it in.

F-440 installation. A slightly different solution.

Steve / Brian / Cameron - thanks for the responses. I find this discussion board a great source of confidence. On this occasion in fact I have done something slightly different for the reasons explained here. Please shout if you think I have messed up.

One related question. Dwg 35 clearly shows the relative positions of the two sticks in the neutral position. Has anyone found the correct position for the mid fuse belcrank? The plans appear to give up on this. It appears to be leaning forward.

Cheers.

I WAG'd (Wild *ss Guess) the position of the rear stick. I made it look like the drawing.

I too had ONE-HECK-OF-A-TIME getting that tube to work out. And I too had to widen that 2" (or whatever) diameter whole in F-406.

Anyone working on their fuse reading this. Fit the rear controls and push rod BEFORE installing the decking. You can't easily get in there with a grinder after the decking is on. I had to reach way in with a round file and do it the old fashioned way.

-Bruce

Back