What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skytec starter rebuild.

dsteed

I'm New Here
I have the NL model. The engine shop says the the Bendix gear is likely missing teeth and the Bendix roll pin is likely sheared and the starter needs to be rebuilt. Problem is that Skytec won’t sell parts so the engine shop can’t rebuild it. I looked on their website and don’t see a link for rebuilding starters, only selling new if they are out of warranty. I think I checked their site a few months ago and thought they offered to rebuild for $350 but I may be dreaming. Any idea if they still rebuild starters or any insight on who does?

I have a pretty high confidence that this starter uses parts from an automotive starter with available parts. Unfortunately I don't know which one. This starter ships with an extra shear pin glued to the under side of the mounting boss, so easy to replace.

The engine shop says the the Bendix gear is likely missing teeth and the Bendix roll pin is likely sheared and the starter needs to be rebuilt.

DId the shop put eyes on the starter? Typically, the bendix drive gear is hardened and the ring gear is not. Therefore, when teeth break they will typically do so on the ring gear. I am guessing that starter free spins and if you move the prop a bit, it will engage and start. This is classic broken teeth, but would not assume the bendix teeth were broken without a visual confirmation. Also, be sure to confirm the cause before replacement to avoid a repeat. Many ignition issues can cause broken teeth and shear pins.

Back