What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Updates Announced for RV-15 During 1-27-2023 Webinar

Vans has made it clear that the intent of the 15 is to compete in the STOL/backcountry market ... which is what a lot of us want ... no need for 4 seats ... just lots of off field capability and haul a ton of stuff :)

Maybe the RV16 could be a high wing 4 seater with a 540 up front ;)

Last edited:
But it's an RV with the RV community ... to me that adds a lot ... I'm wrapping up a Carbon Cub EX3 build and there is no community ... really night and day difference.

No doubt, I would build this over a Carbon Cub all day unless I could get a Patey dual slat wing for it. ;)

One more data point on the number-of-seats discussion. My Sportsman was configured for three seats, the third aft facing. In part this was because we used it as a camera platform for air-to-air missions and having the photo sit backward near the big baggage door was a good setup.

That said, the number of times there were three people in the airplane probably amounted to no more than 10% of its total flight time. The rear seats in the Bonanza I owned before that were occupied a similar percentage of the time.

What was useful, though, was the large baggage area and carrying capacity. I build the rear-facing seat with semi-permanent structure so it wasn't easy to remove. I wish I had made it easily removable; I'm guessing it would have been in the hangar corner most of the time.

I think Van's is on the right track focusing on two comfy seats and a lot of baggage capacity.

I have a Cessna 170 and with my back seat removed I can fit my mountain bike in the back with the front wheel removed. But when I do that I can't move my seat back. Based on the videos of Vans designing the -15 to fit a mountain bike I would expect there to be a similar amount of room as my 170 for a back seat. There are a couple options out there for fold up jump seats for a 170 to replace the rear bench seats. I don't see why you couldn't design your own jump seats for the -15. The key would be to make sure the floor attach structure is capable and there is a spot to anchor a seat belt.

Basically to me the -15 looks like an updated more powerful homebuilt version of a 170 (similar size, similar useful load, better suspension, +65hp, plus many other advantages). It should be an awesome plane.

Pictures are of F Atlee Dodge and Lake Vue jump seats.

Attachments

• fa_dodge_seats.jpg
    fa_dodge_seats.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 210
  • lake_vue_seats.jpg
    lake_vue_seats.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 223
I don't see why you couldn't design your own jump seats for the -15. The key would be to make sure the floor attach structure is capable and there is a spot to anchor a seat belt.

The question for this would be the height available back there compared with the 170. If the vertical distance isn't there, then this would not be easily changed.

Announce

If Vans was to announce the RV16 will be a 4 passenger high wing, this would go a long way in ending the discussion.
Also, if someone starts out building the RV15, but really wants a 4 place, and then a 4 place RV16 is announce, they would be pretty upset.... just saying.

WOW! If they are able to hit 140 kts and land at less than 50 Kts, that will be awesome. Great utility for a two-seater. This one is going to be fun to watch evolve. I wish it had been available 10 years ago!

Regarding the power, if it's really 220 hp, that compares well to the early Cessna 180s. Mine, from 1955, originally was delivered with 225 hp and a gross weight of 2,550 pounds. Now it has a little more power and the same gross weight.

Dave

The question for this would be the height available back there compared with the 170. If the vertical distance isn't there, then this would not be easily changed.

I saw the RV-15 in person at OSH. The height is there. The flat floor all the way back is like the Cessna 170.

If Vans was to announce the RV16 will be a 4 passenger high wing, this would go a long way in ending the discussion.
Also, if someone starts out building the RV15, but really wants a 4 place, and then a 4 place RV16 is announce, they would be pretty upset.... just saying.

When was the last time you purchased a tv because yours broke?
Or does your TV look like this....
tv.JPG

Every time Van introduced a new model, there were current owners that wished they had waited for the newer one. Good companies will always try to improve their products unless they were held back by policy...

If you want a high wing 4 place then wait. Van's will do it some day. If you are in your 30's with kids, they will be on their own by the time you get it built. If you are in your 60's, you don't have time to wait for a 4 place. Go buy a Cessna now.......:D..... all in fun.

Awesome

Meanwhile, back to the OP and a reality check.

Hey Van’s,
I know you read this stuff, so here you go: Superb presentation, with lots of great detail.
I truly love my 7a, but have lotsa years in a high wing. Your 15, along with the transformation towards perfection, shows why all these models are great. Looking forward to the final version.

Personally, looking at 15 or 10 for RTW plane.
Oh, and I only need one seat. Two seats is too many. ;) Need room for that cargo & gas.

Keep it up!

WOW! If they are able to hit 140 kts and land at less than 50 Kts, that will be awesome. A great utility for a two-seater. This one is going to be fun to watch evolve. I wish it had been available 10 years ago!

I would expect them to do considerably better than 50/140. They get better than 4x stall/cruise on their other models. Something like 30/140 would be impressive.

Wing Loading

The final model will likely have a light wing loading in the 12 to 13 lbs/sq ft range. This is lighter than the RV-9. I wonder if it will handle gusty conditions like many LSA aircraft.

Looks like lots of people are hoping for even better low speed capability. I wonder if Vans considered different wing options for the kit. Maybe one option with a super low wing loading for those who want minimal landing distance, and another wing for those who favor the higher speed range.

Engines

Interesting they said they wanted to make it suitable for multiple engines. They also mentioned the ULPOWER engine along with the Lycoming 360 and 390.

Lycoming engines have become a stupid price. I hope the UL Power 520is(185hP) and 520T(220hp) can prove themselves enough to become a real alternative.

The use of the 520is in the dark aero plane should allow it to rack up some flight hours in the next few years

Baggage Weight

Wondering if there's any insight into why the baggage weight limit is 200 lbs - is it a structural limit or a c.g. limit? Personally, I'm guessing a c.g. limit with the 1 inch stretch that was posted in the video.

Saw the RV-15 at AirVenture 2022 and think it's the ideal aircraft for my wife and I. Should be easy to build with the pulled rivets, have excellent speed, and get in/out of the airports we're interested in. Hoping to load up the baggage compartment with a dog, cooler, and camping gear, which is why I'm wondering about the maximum weight. Especially given how large the baggage area is.

Wondering if there's any insight into why the baggage weight limit is 200 lbs - is it a structural limit or a c.g. limit? Personally, I'm guessing a c.g. limit with the 1 inch stretch that was posted in the video.

Saw the RV-15 at AirVenture 2022 and think it's the ideal aircraft for my wife and I. Should be easy to build with the pulled rivets, have excellent speed, and get in/out of the airports we're interested in. Hoping to load up the baggage compartment with a dog, cooler, and camping gear, which is why I'm wondering about the maximum weight. Especially given how large the baggage area is.

That's the current design baggage weight limit. It's more so CG-driven than structural. But - importantly - our team will determine what the actual final numbers are. Until then it's prototype numbers and design targets we're talking about, of course.

That's the current design baggage weight limit. It's more so CG-driven than structural. But - importantly - our team will determine what the actual final numbers are. Until then it's prototype numbers and design targets we're talking about, of course.

Thanks Greg! That confirms my suspicion. Excited to see the RV-15 again at AirVenture and looking forward to putting in a deposit for a kit. If my 2 cents matter, the more baggage capacity the better - would love to stuff it full and go camping for a week.

FYI for folks, the RV-15 will not be at Sun n Fun because it will be actively flying back at the factory, undergoing further tests and refined design modifications. We do plan, of course, to have it at OSH!

But, Van's will of course be at SnF with the RV-10 and RV-14A, as well as the Bronze Lindy award-winning RV-7 that one of our employees, Tony Kirk, built. Plus, John Stahr - airplane artist extraordinaire - will have an airplane on display as well.

Last edited:
AC Registration Reserved (N15VU)

I reserved my N-number for the RV15. Not sure if I can afford to build one but I want to get a short number. The FAA letter finally came in the mailbox today

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 431
Aesthetic change?

That was pretty much the entire purpose of the first article airplane design. Each of these changes are fairly subtle and really it’s all one change. This is improvement and refinement. It’s what we do.
I know these changes are “fairly subtle” but how much do they change the look? I thought the engineering prototype looked perfect. I just don’t want a rakish appearance, I like the more upright, “boxy”, utility look.

I know these changes are “fairly subtle” but how much do they change the look? I thought the engineering prototype looked perfect. I just don’t want a rakish appearance, I like the more upright, “boxy”, utility look.

You will have to look hard at the 2 next to each other to tell the difference.

I reserved my N-number for the RV15. Not sure if I can afford to build one but I want to get a short number. The FAA letter finally came in the mailbox today

I’ve reserved my N-number also - N154FN. 15 for fun. Just like my RV-8 - N184FN - one 8 for fun. I can’t claim credit as the original builder came up with this.

I’ve owned two RV’s built by someone else. I hope I’m up to the challenge of building one myself.

The same engineering prototype airplane with a few changes made. We will also show/present info about the changes that are in the final kit aircraft design.

Any updates on when deposits will be taken?

Will there be a prototype RV-15 2.0 with all of the final kit changes?

Back