What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Innstalled avionics wire bundles- ezee-peezee

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Put my main avionics bundle in the plane today. I don't know why people think this is such a big deal. It only took like a minute.

Haven't opps checked it yet though :)

Attachments

• IMG_6744.jpg
    IMG_6744.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 626
Good access for later changes !

But might want to separate/ spread the branches out so you don’t get confused….

The worst part is that there really are airplanes that look like the builder did exactly the same thing. Just tossed the wires in and called it "done". :eek:

Now you just need an intern to put it all away under the panel for you. You've done the hard work.

Looks better than the Wiring in a Citabria I owned a few years ago… and all the work on that plane was done by F’n A A certified folks. I had to replace a PTT on the passenger stick and considered twisting the wires in place and shielding them with duct tape so my work wouldn’t stick out! 😜

Yep - sprinkle with fairy dust and smoke retardant and call it done. I found putting “production break” connectors between the panel wiring and the fuselage wiring made it easier to do a two stage continuity checkout prior to the smoke test. Also made it easy to install a breakout fixture to get access to individual wires during avionics checkout. Using waxed string for lacing the wire bundles is kinder on the hands and reduces the blood spatter from cuts with the sharp ends of the nylon tiewraps.

KT

Glad folks got a kick out of this.

With regard to connectors between fuselage wiring and panel wiring, I agree that it would be easier to wring out for potential problems, but in my case, that's really only going to work for lights and stuff that are not on this can-bus monster.

I'm so glad I had somebody make this bundle for me. My hat is definitely off to anybody that pulls these pin to pin, one wire at a a time.

I found putting “production break” connectors between the panel wiring and the fuselage wiring made it easier to do a two stage continuity checkout prior to the smoke test.
That helped, but I also found it made wiring all the switches etc. easier too. And it makes it easier to pull the panel if needed. Still have to pull the displays out individually (I didn't do the "one disconnect for everything" approach).
I've checked all the switches and avionics I can at this point, and now the panel is pulled and set aside for canopy work.

Using waxed string for lacing the wire bundles is kinder on the hands and reduces the blood spatter from cuts with the sharp ends of the nylon tiewraps.
Trim the tails flush instead of leaving a sharp end and you won't have that problem ;)

Seriously, I started with lacing cord, but about the third time I had to redo it in between a couple seat ribs I got frustrated and gave up on it aft of the firewall. Went to zipties on everything. Faster, and a lot easier to redo when you inevitably forget a wire or three, or change your mind on how to route stuff.

Back