Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Easy answer. Rudder doesn't get balanced. It's also the most work to get tips nice. Elevators...Assemble and see how they balance now. You have to anyway to get the tips trimmed. Add a nutplate to the forward lightening hole. Easy to add weight later. Tiny holes can be drilled to lighten if necessary then covered with matching paint.
Thank you - interesting point on the elevator and drilling to balance as I remember reading that, but didn't think anything about the rudder. (Totally different than the V tail I own.)

Since I have three months to complete the rudder, I'll really go slow and see if I can make it really nice and straight.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveQuestions View Post
Thank you - interesting point on the elevator and drilling to balance as I remember reading that, but didn't think anything about the rudder. (Totally different than the V tail I own.)

Since I have three months to complete the rudder, I'll really go slow and see if I can make it really nice and straight.
Weights
By the way. Don't trim any weights. Lead is soft. Just tap into shape.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:53 AM

Default Building the rudder..

https://www.flickr.com/.../520847922...etaken-public/

Proof the fat old guy did a thing ....

... might be useful at the local FSDO in say - 5 - 30 years ....

By the way, the rivet gun is really loud in the video, but really turned down to only drive the rivet about 1/2 way - per the instructions. About to turn the rudder over and complete the job with the flush rivet set (with the rubber guard - THAT sucker was totally worth the money).

(Oh - many thanks to another old dude with the mile long rivet backing plat - the BOMB!)

Almost went with the cleavland squeezer set for this job. But I decided to fall back to the instructions - looks easy enough... (however the next post may be ... well ... entertaining ....)

(ok, it is inverted, but hey, the RV7A does allow for acro ...)

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/...M2QiLCJ2IjoxfQ
Old 07-03-2022, 04:11 PM

Whooohoo! The Empennage is DONE!

Got busy at work and didn't have time to focus on building. Took the long weekend to set the last few rivets on the Rudder. Now to review with a local to see if I did it well enough...

... Last post until August - when the wings are supposed to ship....
Closed Thread