-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:21 AM

Yeah, it seems itís getting more and more close to computer and it stuff.

RV7A(in construction)

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=N524JL
Old 01-01-2022, 10:10 PM

Default Builder's log updated

Updated builder's log. Wife had to work last minute leaving me to focus on building over the holiday weekend.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7qvfxyU90
Old 01-11-2022, 11:39 AM

Default Vertical Stab Done!

Vertical Stabilizer is done. Will take by the EAA Tech Advisor to review my work.

Also wrinkled one of the rudder skins a little. The Advisor I'm working with seems to think it might be a non event but need to drop by for a quick consult over the next few days.

I really put off building as I'm always so busy at work. Flying for the past decade or so was the only fun I really had and the old Bonanza I have scratched that itch. But it turns out building is a lot of fun! After dinner I go out and knock out a step or two on the RV7A. Still very intimidating.

I've updated the EAA builders log a week or so ago. More updates this week as I'm still mostly just jotting down a date on the plans as I complete a step.

I'll see what happens on the rudder skin and then pull the trigger on the wing kit. I'm hoping to not have a super long break between the empennage and the wing kit. However, I'm totally insane - I'm slow building this one!
Old 01-11-2022, 12:03 PM

Default Test Picture

Just testing images from Flickr... not used to relaying off another site...

Old 01-11-2022, 12:04 PM

Default Image

It worked!! Ok, something is different about the EAA builders site. I do some photography so Flickr it is!

So here is my oldie (not for sale):

Last edited by HaveQuestions : 01-11-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:50 AM

Default Bumb rudder

I tried to smooth out the skin myself - after a slight wrinkle that might have just been cosmetic. Well, that was a bad idea.

Just ordered a new skin (right side).
Old 01-14-2022, 10:31 AM

Rudder skin on order.
Started elevators - right (easy one) first.
Will have EAA Tech advisor review the V Stab this weekend.
Wings on order!

ARE WE THERE YET!
Old 04-30-2022, 03:45 PM

Default Almost done with the rudder!!

Iím waiting on tank sealant to complete the trailing edge of the rudder. Also need a few blind rivets I had to reset.

I spent most of the day updating the EAA builders site. Basic record keeping.

I do have a date on the wings: August. Slow build because Iím kinda liking this building thing. TV sucks and people on the internet are crazy. So- build on! (Unless it is good enough to fly )
Old 05-09-2022, 08:49 PM

Default Question: tips for the elevator and rudder

I haven't asked many questions here as I have a few A&P's to ask generic aircraft questions. However, this one is a bit of a stumper at the moment.

Question: when to install the tips for the elevator and the rudder?

The stabilizers are pretty easy: whenever.

The control surfaces are a bit different. There is a need to balance them by drilling (assuming here - nowhere near this step at the moment) out some of the led to balance the control surface.

So - allow the tip to be removed before final install post first flight (or whenever the balancing happens)? Or go for the fiberglass now, drill out as necessary and then patch the glass later?

Mostly just thinking this through at the moment. Just the latest problem to work on this adult 3D puzzle with a zillion spendy pieces.....
Old 05-10-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveQuestions View Post
I haven't asked many questions here as I have a few A&P's to ask generic aircraft questions. However, this one is a bit of a stumper at the moment.

Question: when to install the tips for the elevator and the rudder?

The stabilizers are pretty easy: whenever.

The control surfaces are a bit different. There is a need to balance them by drilling (assuming here - nowhere near this step at the moment) out some of the led to balance the control surface.

So - allow the tip to be removed before final install post first flight (or whenever the balancing happens)? Or go for the fiberglass now, drill out as necessary and then patch the glass later?

Mostly just thinking this through at the moment. Just the latest problem to work on this adult 3D puzzle with a zillion spendy pieces.....
Easy answer. Rudder doesn't get balanced. It's also the most work to get tips nice. Elevators...Assemble and see how they balance now. You have to anyway to get the tips trimmed. Add a nutplate to the forward lightening hole. Easy to add weight later. Tiny holes can be drilled to lighten if necessary then covered with matching paint.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Closed Thread