What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 parts shipped - don't know why . . .

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Howdy all,

I received my RV-10 fuselage slow build kit back in October. At the time, there were a few parts on backorder, and I got most of those over a few months time, with the exception of the center section bulkhead (don't have the wing kit yet).

I finally received the center section bulkheads, but also received a huge box of other "revised" parts that came along with it. Anyone else get a bunch of parts as well? Now my dilemma is this - will the new parts go along with the old parts?

I'll call Van's (I'm actually on hold as I write this) but was wondering if anybody has gone down this path with the answer before I talk to them. FWIW, I also found a whole revised set of plans for the fuselage kit to go along with the new revised parts. I saw zero communications about this.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited:
I’m looking Fwd to hearing what you find out. My fuselage kit was supposed to ship 2 weeks ago and was delayed 4-6 weeks for QC issues. Maybe that’s why you have different parts.

Cheers

Keith

Talked to a supervisor at Vans. These parts all have to do with the new and improved gear weldments. Since the weldments changed so did all of the parts around them. Even received new forward bottom and side skins.

Same here , received a lot of parts that i already had......original fuselage received in October back ordered parts plus extras in February....

Talked to a supervisor at Vans. These parts all have to do with the new and improved gear weldments. Since the weldments changed so did all of the parts around them. Even received new forward bottom and side skins.

What were these supposed to fix, any idea? I just finished fitting my main gear weldments and am starting on the side skins now. I don't recall any kind of service letter on this, so it must be a minor change? Received my fuselage kit in 2018 (yes, I'm slow but picking up speed).

I think the confusion for me (as a builder) is I did see the poll asking current owners of flying aircraft about the cracks, but didn't really have a clue they were (a) sending out new weldments, and (b), there are a bunch of parts that change when you DO receive the new weldments.

When I called, the person I first talked to had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned I had a bunch of new parts, and when I asked if the "old" parts would work with the new parts, did not have an answer. Even the supervisor wasn't real clear with his guidance. The only guidance was on the inventory sheet which said, "new parts - no charge".

So I think the new parts are a good thing in that the new gear weldments are improved, but the guidance could be better for those of us who are building and receive these new parts.

OK I just got back home from a trip and saw the replies here, and the original service letter thread. I never received the revised Service Letter, so I was unaware this was going on. I did receive the original one that asked for inspections.

Is Van's sending out new parts to all owners, or only recent kit purchasers? I am just at the point where I have fitted and drilled the gear mounts and am just about to start the side skin fitting and installation, so now would be the time to do this modification.

I guess I'll call Van's tomorrow, unless someone knows what's supposed to happen.

The service letter gives clear details on who will need/get the replacement parts

The service letter gives clear details on who will need/get the replacement parts

It doesn't really clear up the process for people still in the build process but who have the original parts. It would be good if this were published on the RV-10 "Service Information and Revisions" page with drawings and procedures, which as of right now, it is not.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/servic...ns/?aircraft=rv-10&doctype=all&sort=undefined

Don't take this as an attempt to beat on Van's Aircraft--it's not, but I'd think they'd at least put it up on their official web site before announcing it here.

It doesn't really clear up the process for people still in the build process but who have the original parts. It would be good if this were published on the RV-10 "Service Information and Revisions" page with drawings and procedures, which as of right now, it is not.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/servic...ns/?aircraft=rv-10&doctype=all&sort=undefined

Don't take this as an attempt to beat on Van's Aircraft--it's not, but I'd think they'd at least put it up on their official web site before announcing it here.

Email support and ask for the instructions for SL-00033 or send me a PM and I'll email it to you. I'm not sure why they haven't posted it yet. You should have received an email from them outlining what's happening and the costs involved. It's a lot of work and will run you a bit over $1k in parts to switch the weldments over and it includes enlarging holes the front center section in a few places (or you can send it to Van's and have them do the rework for a fee).

Van's is very clear on not performing the work on completed aircraft unless cracks are found. You're in a bit of a limbo state where you could elect to continue or do the change.

The gist is the weldments get replaced with new ones that remove the "foot" that extends out to the side skins. And that has all sorts of cascading effects on parts that no longer need holes in them and other parts that need new holes or enlarged holes.

Back