What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA Avionics workshop vs. AEA experimental avionics workshop

Mike327

I'm New Here
Has anyone taken both the EAA and AEA avionics workshops and can compare the quality of the instruction and pertinence to installing your own Garmin panel? Or taken either course and could provide some feedback on their usefulness?

Both courses are being offered this January and I’m trying to decide which one would be more beneficial for building a garmin panel and wiring the plane?

This is my first build so I suspect either course would be beneficial but am looking for the audience opinions on these classes.

I can't offer a comparison, but I took the AEA class a couple of months ago and it was great. Very Garmin focused. Taught by Levi Self who owns an RV and is a former Garmin project engineer that now runs an avionics shop at Lees Summit.

On the last day they had a guy from Garmin who's building an RV10 come in to answer questions and help with system planning if you so choose, but it's very low pressure, not a sales pitch at all.

I described my mission profile and he gave me a list of what boxes I'd need to make that happen.

AEA

The AEA course was excellent, especially if you are going with Garmin. I knew both about avionics or wiring before the course and I feel confident now that I can wire the plane myself. Highly recommended!

I haven't taken the EAA course, but I did take the AEA course and found it very helpful and well worth the time/$ if you are installing & wiring a Garmin panel.

I did get a look at the EAA class in-session a few years ago when I was taking a different (fiberglass) EAA class in the room next door. My impression is that the EAA class is more basic and covers fundamentals of electrical design and installation, with more emphasis on things like soldering, crimping, circuit protection practices, alternators, lights, etc. vs. the AEA class that is very specific to the Garmin G3X avionics system wiring and configuration.

The AEA class helps you understand the very complex G3X system interconnects/config. and options and teaches a method of laying out avionics wiring harnesses and the proper termination methods for the Can-Bus. In my view it is a great class if you are going to design and install a Garmin G3X avionics system, but would be less useful if your selected system was another brand (e.g. Dynon or AFS). It also won't provide much help with the rest of your electrical system, as it doesn't discuss alternators, lights, etc.

My suggestion would be to take the EAA class if you are inexperienced in basic electrical circuit designs and wiring. If you are already comfortable with the basics of your aircraft electrical system (battery, alternator, buss, lighting, etc.) you can probably skip the EAA class and use one of the books available on the subject. Then take the AEA class if you are planning a Garmin avionics system installation.

Cheers,

EAA avionics fundamentals

... the EAA class is more basic and covers fundamentals of electrical design and installation, with more emphasis on things like soldering, crimping, circuit protection practices, alternators, lights, etc. vs. the AEA class that is very specific to the Garmin G3X avionics system wiring and configuration.

...take the EAA class if you are inexperienced in basic electrical circuit designs and wiring. If you are already comfortable with the basics of your aircraft electrical system (battery, alternator, buss, lighting, etc.) you can probably skip the EAA class and use one of the books available on the subject. Then take the AEA class if you are planning a Garmin avionics system installation.

Cheers,
Concur w/ Dave: I took the EAA course, and the fundamentals approach was helpful for me.
I intend to take the AEA course, likely not January though.

I took the EAA course and was a little disappointed. Great basics of wiring but very dated. No avionics, VPX, panel discussions, etc. if you don’t know how to solder or operate crimp tools, it’s great. If you’re looking for more than that, skip it.

Ok, great info. Thanks guys. I think I may do both since I am installing a garmin panel and have limited experience wiring.

Avionics Class

I attended both of these classes. My recommendation would be to do both. If I had to recommend just one.......tough call.

They are both taught by outstanding instructors. The EAA class focuses more on the electrical systems - battery, fuses, wiring, antennas, voltmeter, grounding, alternators, troubleshooting, etc. It also spends a good amount of time on the tools you need and exactly how to use them. There is lots of time for Q&A so you should leave with most of your questions answered.

The AEA class focuses a lot on the Garmin system and the avionics bus you'll need to wire your complete system. When you leave you'll have configured and priced the (Garmin) system you want.....and know why you picked each component as well as trade-offs.

In both classes you'll get some important questions answered like when/if dual alternators or dual batteries makes sense, how to label wires, service loops and a lot more.

+1 on the AEA course.

I think learning how to prepare the wiring diagrams and method for constructing a wire harness was worth the price and time. That would apply to any avionics system. (If memory serves that was about 50%) The other half was very Garmin specific.

Has anyone taken both the EAA and AEA avionics workshops and can compare the quality of the instruction and pertinence to installing your own Garmin panel? Or taken either course and could provide some feedback on their usefulness?

Both courses are being offered this January and I’m trying to decide which one would be more beneficial for building a garmin panel and wiring the plane?

This is my first build so I suspect either course would be beneficial but am looking for the audience opinions on these classes.

I took the EAA course earlier this year. What I learned was the basic reading of the electrical schematic and how to crimp the various connectors that are common to aircraft. If you already know how to do this correctly, then I think you can skip the EAA course.

Back