What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Front Carpet for RV-9A

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
The old carpet is pretty well soaked with brake fluid from several years of a slow leak. It kind of cleaned up with spot remover, sort of, but maybe it makes more sense to replace it.

The good news is that an exact color match is not required, but I really do want aircraft flame proof (or whatever the correct terminology is) material.

Suggestions? Thanks!

I used lightweight ribbed marine carpets. They typically have good fire resistance properties and are available in light weight versions. Typically easy to get data sheets for. They can be easily trimmed to whatever shape you need. I put replaceable (velcro backed) heel pads down to protect the high wear points.
I used Nolan Reef (formally Autex), however I'm sure you can find similar products in US. The carpet sits over some 3/4" fire resistant, foil backed foam which fills the gaps between the floor stiffeners. I do have belly fiberfrax insulation and titanium skin however for additional fire/heat protection.

Tom.
RV-7

Flightline interiors is well-known and cost efficient, but is backed up until March 2022. Can you make your own using your old carpet as a template?

I Second ClassicAero

After looking at all commercially available RV carpets I went with Classic Aero and am happy with my new carpet. It took about three months from ordering to receiving my order. My RV-7 is quite similar to the RV-9 fuselage.

The price is commesurate with the quality for sure. I don't have a sewing machine that could do the stitching found on the carpet. The thick padding is held in place by industrial hook and loop fasteners. The carpet is held in place by the hook side grabbing the back of the carpet in quite a few places.

The heel pads are a nice touch and will keep wear to a minimum in those areas.

Here's a picture of my carpet after I installed it and as I was putting in the simple side panels with pockets. I'm adding stick boots and headset straps from Flightline Interiors and am patiently waiting for those to arrive next month.

Attachments

• IMG_2948.jpg
    IMG_2948.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 162
Back